Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Questions about titling a T?

MDrex

My plans on building a T-bucket have hit a major roadblock, Titling. Here in MD you need to have a title from the year the car was built to title as that car and year. If I build a new T from new parts MD considers it a new car. I would therefore have to meet all safety and emissions inspection rules for the year in which I build the car. So building my T now would make it a 2008, and there is no way the car would pass current rules. For example no airbags, no shoulder belts, no OBDII computer or cats, just to name a few things.

My question is how do I get around this and get the car titled as a 1923 Model T Ford?

Also, are there states where I can title the car as a '23, not be a resident, and never have to go to that state? Basically title by mail.

Or how can I find a real Model T or part of one for sale that will come with a real title?

Check and see if they have regulations for street rods, if so that may make it easier.

We do have Street Rod registration in MD, but you still need a title to prove the car is atleast 25 years old. If you just build something, but have no VIN or serial numbers or documents to prove its a '23 T(or something close) they will register it as a new car.

I have seen people using services like International Title Service to get a new title. But those places need a real VIN or serial number too. Can I get an old registration and use the number off that to get a title through a service?

Great post you guys. Good infomation for everyone.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back