Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

recipe for trouble.....maybe???

terrymac

For no other than looks has anybody been running wide tires on the front end? I'm thinking of a set of 225/60R15 to match my 31-18.5's on the rear. Will the king pins stand it or it there other problems I may encounter. Any input is welcome
Thanks

Your steering box will take most of the grunt but could be hard on it. Other problems could be tie rod ends and sleeves might have to be beefed up.

Wheel bearings take a beating with wide tires too.

I saw one last month at a local show that had 205's on the front. Didn't look bad but not great.

T Pilot with Pups (John) has a different setup... He runs wider tires on his front and has for many years best to my knowledge.

GEDC0224.jpg

The main problem is that wide front tires will follow any small crack, tar strip, any uneven spot in the road... That is whats so great about narrow tires, they tend to go straight down the road :D and they make turning a lot easier for those that have a bad steering ratio, or box... But everybody to their own, it's a free Country, so far :)

John (T-Pilot) Eplen has been running wide tires on front for many many years and he drives the crap out of it. Been to EVERY Nats AND DRIVES IT THERE AND BACK and pulling a trailer. He has been to Artesia World of Wheels (Artesia New Mexico) for several years. John lives in Kingsland TX, northwest of Austin. I see no reason for tires up to 8-9" wide on the front causing problems as long as your front suspension and alignment is setup correctly. Personally I think a bucket looks better with skinny tires on the front, but to each his own.

i don't see any problem other than maybe a lil more muscle turning. stopping has to be better!!

Ron

I opted out a comprimize sent the 225's back and orderd a new set of 205/65R15 eagles. My intention is a driveable andthe roads around here are not the best. I don't think a set of skinnys would last well. We're into final assembly now supposed to go to apolstery on Monday
Thanks T

That is a nice looking bucket is it your first?

Thanks yes this is my first. It's been three winters of nights and weekends but it's almost there. I started with very humble beginings and the push is on to try and make the first car show of the season at the end of the month. You know it's funny I really didn't build this to show but let myself get talked into it

terrymac said:
Thanks yes this is my first. It's been three winters of nights and weekends but it's almost there. I started with very humble beginings and the push is on to try and make the first car show of the season at the end of the month. You know it's funny I really didn't build this to show but let myself get talked into it
I know what you mean about car shows, as I did not build my own car for car shows, there is a big difference in the way you build.. I do that for customers that want to win car shows.. Mine is just a daily street driver, and a show car would not fit my style, as I really do not get off cleaning and polishing all the time, like the folks that I built show cars for, they are in the garage all covered up with blankets, all shinny and ready to show.. Mine is in the garage ready to GO, nothing really showy about Her, but driving down the road, She looks as good as any, I have been told :D So, You got to do it at least a time or two, great way to meet other T people..:)

I agree with you Al. I consider my car to be a "daily driver", and use it as such, but I still paid attention to detail. I did not build it to be a "show piece" but it has been able to hold its own in the few meets and shows that I've entered and that includes national level meets with thousands of cars entered.

I get my thrills driving my car and attending a few "cruise ins". To me, this is what it is all supposed to be about. I have a motto, " steel or glass, pro built or home built, trailered or driven, who cares, HAVE FUN".

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back