Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ron...Your Parts At Work

fluidfloyd

Ron,

I told you I would send pictures of your plasma cut parts in use so here they are. As you can see, I am clamping 4" tubes in place for weldment.

Thanks,

George

P2201021.jpg

P2201023.jpg

Looks like T bucket engineering for the workplace. Good Job!

Ron,

You're a smart boy. These are in fact parts of the new fixtures. I still have a few more parts to build then I will start on the associated maching fixtures and sub weldment fixtures. Then I'll probably be dead! I know this is a t-bucket forum but I am going to post several pictures of the proto car #001 and a link to the company website. Hope everyone enjoys them and if you can afford one then please get your order in as it would keep me employed. Unfortunately I can't afford one so I'll just have to dream.

The car shown below is the proto car built in Texas prior to my move to Arkansas several years ago. This particular car was built for competetion at the 40th anniversity of Sebring and did in fact make it's first public appearance there. They actually showed up in Florida for the race with unplumbed brakes and oil system among other things. They literally fired the engine in the parking lot, drove it to the track and got to make zero trail laps. They got one shot at qualifying and put it on the grid at around the 16th position. They managed to finish 2nd place even though it was handling rather poorly. I ask them just how fast they went and their response was 186mph. My response was it was now out of warranty. This car has a 500" aluminum big block and will pull your head off. This thing is a true hot rod. No power anything and you do have to drive it. A driver gets a real physical workout as shown by inside movie camera footage. Anyway, here it is and remember to get your order in early. Enjoy.

George

www.duntovmotors.com

P2270384.jpg

P2270388.jpg

P4080640.jpg

looks sweet..

and now i can say ive seen a chassis made out of 4"tubing. never seen that before..

Brucer; looks sweet..[/COLOR said:
and now i can say ive seen a chassis made out of 4"tubing. never seen that before..

Brucer,

The original Cobras used 3.0" OD tubes for their main frame rails. I suspect that when Zorus Duntov decided to build these cars to compete against the Cobras that he might have wandered over to their pit area for a look see. The original Grand Sports were actually 4.5" OD tubes. We decided on 4.0" due to difficulty in finding bending shops that had the 4.5" dies. The original '63 frame rails were pretty heavy and weight was the name of the game. These cars were around 2200 lbs race ready as I recall. The floors had a hump that ran down the frame rail line as the floor was lower then the top of the tube. This caused the seat to be fixed in height choice and tall drivers just toughted it. Two of the original five were sent back to GM and reconfigured as roadsters due to aerodynamic advantages on the high speed tracks.

George

Very interesting George. I would like two please. :drool:

Mr. Fixit

Light to light I will still take my T, with no windshield, it will go real fast, but no good driving fast on the street and a track is not for this street guy.. I love crusin... That is probably ment to be a great handling road chassis... I built a few Cobras over the years, they are real fun also... :)

Nice ride but still not a bucket no wind in your face.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back