Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

saving some grief when starting new engine

Ted Brown

Something you really should consider whenstarting a new engine, especially in a new chassis as well... I try and have the rear end up on solid stands, at ride height, with the rear wheels off... This way if the trans happens to somehow jump into gear, no damage will be done...
Also, try and keep the stock exhaust manifolds and the stock quiet muffler system, to use during the first fire up, and through the fine tuning process... (can save those new chrome pipes from turning Blue right off)
AS; You will want to be able to hear that little man (inside) with the BFHammer, trying to get out, before He does too much damage... Way too many engines have been broken or damaged badly because the people could not hear what all was happening INSIDE the engine, because of all the exhaust NOISE.!!
Also it is advised to have an OIL pressure gauge in sight at all times, or a safety shutoff switch on/to that gauge, like a lot of Boat owners have on their engines, they also use them to change the engine oil... They start the engine with a flex line with oil pressure, locked into a covered bucket, as soon as the oil pressure drops off, the engine shuts itself off before any damage is done... a very smart switch (type of gauge) to have, really...
This is waaay important when running a supercharger, as you now would have double NOISE and double trouble... So, leave the belt a bit loose, so that it is not as noisy also (not too loose, in case if backfiring, you don't want it to break)
I just thought I would mention some of these things, because I have seen all these unforeseen things happen over the years, and if this will stop even one, I have done my part in saving some GRIEF and maybe PAIN... Stay safe, enjoy the ride... PS; I always use plain water in the system when first firing up any engine, because if you have a leak, it is much easier to clean up and fix without the antifreeze or ?? Good Luck and have fun... :)Ted
PS: forgot to mention, always put one lug nut back on to hold the brake drums in place, a friend had one fly off as he was running it in gear, not fun.. :lol:

Thanks Ted:D

You are more than Welcome, as this can be a life saver also, my X partner started his out in his driveway, with a starter button, standing next to the engine, well He reved it up a bit, it popped into gear, threw him up in the air, lucky it did not run over him, went across the street over the curb, tore down a small tree and crashed into his neighbors living room before it stopped. Had he done a few of these things, He would not have had any problem. :D

This is like after someone does brakes on a car and don't pump them up before starting and throwing into gear. A gentleman put a car in gear without pumping brakes and drove into an alignment pit before it stopped. This was at a dealership.

putz said:
This is like after someone does brakes on a car and don't pump them up before starting and throwing into gear. A gentleman put a car in gear without pumping brakes and drove into an alignment pit before it stopped. This was at a dealership.
Putz if your brakes are correct pumping is not needed.Mine move about an inch maybe and never move.Just my opinion

Thanks Ted, I remember parking a VW bug in the den as a teen. My dad wasn't to happy about that.

Rick said:
Putz if your brakes are correct pumping is not needed.Mine move about an inch maybe and never move.Just my opinion
When you put new pads in piston are pushed back and brakes have to be pumped up to press them against the rotor.

Dont forget the special oil additive for break in on these non roller cams. I seen a 10,000 dollar 454 marine crash a cam with in 10 mins. of break in. Sad but true. Watch your oil these days

What special oil? I've heard use 2 stroke oil down the cylinders and it burns off quickly.

putz said:
When you put new pads in piston are pushed back and brakes have to be pumped up to press them against the rotor.
Sorry i missed that little part of new brakes.:eek:

Ok, since EOS is no more, what breakin supliment are you guys using? ( I have one more bottle of EOS then its boo hoo )

Thanks Al!
I have always used EOS as assembly lube and breakin additive. I was shocked when the dealer told me it was gone. Now I'm going to go buy More!:ciao:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back