Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

shout out to LumenAl !

hotrodman

hotrodman here. I'm putting my T in the Portland Roadster Show (March 6,7,&8). I know you won your class in the Seattle show. Our projects are very similar, and I'm hoping you can clue me in as to what to expect regarding the experience (load-in, display, etc.). I hope this is the correct forum for this- sorry if I'm in the wrong department!

hotrodman said:
hotrodman here. I'm putting my T in the Portland Roadster Show (March 6,7,&8). I know you won your class in the Seattle show. Our projects are very similar, and I'm hoping you can clue me in as to what to expect regarding the experience (load-in, display, etc.). I hope this is the correct forum for this- sorry if I'm in the wrong department!

OK here we go (take two I typed all this out and accidentally hit new posts on the top and wiped out my whole message)!!

Know this for sure indoor shows are a whole different animal than outdoor shows you will be cleaning and prepping for days

As for day of loading into the show, get there as early as they will allow you to contact them and find out Id try and trailer it to the show in an enclosed trailer to keep from undoing any of your prep work. Also, be sure you dont have more than 1/8 of a tank of gas, they also usually require you to tape your gas cap in place so bring some tape. You will also need all your favorite cleaning supplies, a floor jack, a small vacuum, and you will usually be required to have a tray under the engine but they will often accept carpet or mirrors too

Prior to the show you what to get your car up in the air and spend some quality time underneath the car. Clean everything to pristine condition EVERYTHING even places you dont think they will see they use mirrors to look into those areas! While youre under there make sure ALL your nuts, bolts, and screws are orientated the same or indexed if your care for that word better By this I mean if you were using Philip head screws they would all be like (+) not rotated in different angles same for nuts and bolts too! They will judge the chassis on how nice the frame is, front and rear suspension is, rear end, brakes, steering, driveline, bright work, exhaust system, finish and detail OF HIDDEN areas, and of course wheels and tires. Almost forgot... when you apply the tire dressing, make sure you get into the tread area and if you have new tires, cut off the nubs carefully with razorblades... (like a said... lots of work... :eek: )

Couple of hints I use Sprayway foam glass cleaner on all my chrome once the car is set in the display spray it on a clean microfiber towel and apply to all your chrome surfaces and wipe dry with another clean microfiber towel I wash my microfiber towel if they are new as to not leave any lint on the car Use your favorite aluminum and brass polish (if you have any brass) BUT be sure NOT to use a microfiber towel on your brass or aluminium as it leaves scratches when youre done polishing these, then I go over everything again with Hot Flash Bullet Plus Super Polish use only fleeceuse sparingly and buff with fleece

BilletPlus.jpg
Hot Flash - Products

When I was done with my rear wheels, everyone thought my polished rear wheels where chrome plated and Im not kidding. One the exhaust tips bring some dirty old towels and clean the inside of the exhaust tips so when judge sticks his / her finger or glove into it, it will not be dirty! (had enough of this yet)

Using your floorjack, lift the front and rear ends and index your wheels (valve stems all pointed in same position) and you may have to loosen your wheels so you can index the center caps on your wheels so they are indexed as well example, if you had Chevy logos on your caps you would want them all to be positioned correctly.

OK youre done with the part nobody else sees (except the wheels) I cant say this enough make everything spotless and go over everything several times to make sure you dont miss anything!

As for judging hot rods, the body will be score points by its: Top, Channeled, Sectioned, Grill and trim, Hood, Fenders, Body panels, Truck or bed, Headlights / taillights, Firewall, and Bright work

Paint will be scored by: Condition / Detail of Paint, Graphics & Pinstriping, and hidden areas

Engine is usually scored by: Equipment, wiring, installation, Bright work, and Detail

Interior covers: Dash / Console, Floor covering, Seating / Panels / Headliner, Top (roadsters and convertibles), Bright work, Windows / Trim / Weather-strip, Trunk or Bed Note: if trunk is finished, leave open so judges can see, and if you have a door, leave open so they will look in many judges will not open these if not open so you will not score points if they cant see it and same with hoods Often times what people do is at the end of the public time, open these areas up for the judges to review when show is closed. EVERY morning, find out what time you can get into the show and clean again!

Miscellaneous items that will score you some points: Mirrors, Wipers, Lighting, safely features like seatbelts and E-brakes, Innovation / Concepts / and Execution, a build book is worth points! Show what you started with and document the build if you do a lot of it yourself, judges will be generous with points for the book and other miscellaneous stuff for example, Ive typically gotten a couple of point for installing a heater which is not all that common in T-buckets.

Display is not all that necessary.. certinley helps to draw attention, but when it comes to judging most cars... it's about the car, not the display so don't dump a ton of money into a display unless you're competing with Foose for the Riddler! :eek:

Ok... I'm tired now... Goodnight!

Wow thats a good three or four days prep work, prior to the show. Good Luck.

Man. I worked up a sweat just READING that prep work!:eek: Guess I'll stick to driving and watching.:dance:

I had mine in one show many years ago so I can't add much to this. One thing I overheard a judge say at that show though, and you can use this for future reference, was that you shouldn't have any plaques or trophies from other shows in your display, especially if they are more than a couple of years old. They will date your car. The judge said that it's an indication that the car has been around a lot. They like to see fresh cars. I don't know why. A quality car is a quality car. That's just what I overheard the judge say.

I have done a lot of shows in the past, especially in my misspent youth, and I have always found displaying of past awards to be very distracting and tacky at best. Let your vehicle speak for itself. (And that goes for the stuffed animals and "cry baby" dolls too.)

Absolutely correct! I missed that one... Displaying past trophies definitely work against you, judges perceive this as a oversell, may think its a "if you don't score mine best, you don't know what you're doing" statement, and Steve is correct... you can show out a car in an area so displaying trophies just accelerates that! Keep them at home on display... :lol:

I also forgot to mention you will want a sign painted, and have it framed and a way to display it... standard show stuff but again, as I mentioned last night... it's about the car first and foremost.

i haven't done shows for many many years. with the quality of the cars now you really need to go that extra mile.a high school buddy has been judging shows for the last 40 years told me it's simple to impress judges, when you think you have done everything you could possibly do to prep your car, go over it again. al's check list is so complete....thanks for taking the time to write it al. good luck in your quest for the gold hotrodman. we're all pulling for you here.

Ron

ONE OTHER THING LUMEN AL FORGOT TO SAY

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT HAVE A FORSALE SIGN ON YOUR CAR NO MATTER HOW LITTLE IT IS.

I am sure glad i don't have to go up against Al's car I would have to take two naps after doing all that. You guys have him send you some pics of his car at the show and look close that is one beeeee you Tee Full Bucket.:):):):):)

Thank you Lumenal for taking the time to clue me in on what I need to do in order to be compete in an indoor show. I thought I was on top of things but forgot about indexing fasteners! Also,using fleece instead of microfiber on brass is good to know. I plan to use a flatbed car hauler to bring it in and I'll wrap the tires with plastic wrap. My display will include a simple neutral color carpet,a show card on an easel stand,and a build book. I recently had a photo shoot done at a studio here in town (Portland),and I may include some of those. I wanted to do at least one show since the car is just finished and is still pristine. I will decide after the show whether or not I'll do any more indoor shows. Like you say-lotta woik!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back