Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Slow down

Mike,

I feel a bit stupid when it comes to auto's, just a fishermen at heart. So you will get some pretty dumb questions from time to time.:eek: Question: Why can't you use a emergency brakes system with a disc/disc system?

thomas:confused:

In most applications, the e-brake is a mechanical application, not hydraulic.

Somebody (Wilwood??) makes a disc system that uses shoes inside the hat for an e-brake. I'll see if I can scout out some links to it, as soon as I get a second.

Thanks Mike

That will be the way to go.

thomas

I can't help but think that it wouldn't be that difficult to fabricate an E brake for a car with a disc brake rear. Of course, it would be the first time that I thought something would be easy too.
Yleefox

I just installed a Jag rearend and used the original Jag calipers, which have EBrake manual arms on them. I then utilized the original Jag E_Brake cables to complete the job. I works great, and is quick and simple.

I use disc, disc and no parking brake. I used a weld on bracket on the rear. You can do that and use discs and get a caliper with a E brake in it. Lots of later model stuff has a parking brake and rear disc.

the e brake on mine is a disc brake type set up on the drive shaft,i have ratchet type handle mounted on the floor.jj

In North Carolina, you need a mechanical e-brake system in order to pass the inspection. I have drums on the back with the Lokar ratchet lever.

There is another option on the EBrake, and that is the one that mounts clamps down on the drive shaft at the end of the tranny. It works great and easy to install. Not sure who makes it. Then again, you can always revert to the inexpensive "Brick".

I have Ford drums in the back w/ a brake handle from Gennie.

I'm also running front drums. :D

Ford Explorers have rear disk with internal drum parking brakes. You can also buy just the brake package ready to bolt on a 9" Ford (and probably others) from Strange Engineering. Good package and is a bolt on.

George

www.strangeengineering.net

I have 4 wheel disc setup. I used weld on brackets for GM metric calipers, and used calipers off an 84 camero with the e-brake built in. a couple of universal brake cables and a lokar ratchet lever. works great and meets all the regs
Terry

On the Rockwell Axles I use for my chassis we put an old Cadilac caliper on it. It has a build in Manual e-Brake so you don't have to use the disk/ drum combo.

AutoZone part Numbers:

C242 Driver Side
C243 Passenger side

These come off the 1984 Eldorado with the 11" rotor if I remember correctly.

Chris@whiterhino said:
On the Rockwell Axles I use for my chassis we put an old Cadilac caliper on it. It has a build in Manual e-Brake so you don't have to use the disk/ drum combo.

AutoZone part Numbers:

C242 Driver Side
C243 Passenger side

These come off the 1984 Eldorado with the 11" rotor if I remember correctly.
Think about this, an 11" rotor is the same size brake as a 9" drum brake, but it requires Power to make it work near the same... :D

One thing to keep in mind about drum brakes is the self energizing effect that the rotation of the drums gets from the leading shoe.

BrakeSelfEnergizing.jpg

It tends to pull the front shoe into the drum from engaging the friction material and the drum. The trailing shoe depends on the wheel cylinder to maintain the contact of shoe and drum.

A disc caliper and pad depends strictly on hydraulic pressure and requires higher line pressures than drum brakes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back