Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spreading the word.

tfeverfred

I had a real cool thing happen this afternoon. The weather was nice and warm, traffic in front of my job had thinned out, so you know what that means..... TEST DRIVE!:lol: Well, I cruise down to the end of the street and head back to the intersection in front of my job. I was going to shoot across and roll into the mechanics shop at the other side.

Well, this Vette is coming to the intersection as I was heading towards it. He gets to the stop sign, pauses to look and makes his turn. I arrive shortly after, stop and then PUNCH it through the intersection and roll into the front of the mechanics joint. As, I'm climbing out of my T, the Vette guy and his girl roll up and park. He compliments me on my car and starts to tell me his story. Seems he has always wanted a T Bucket, but never saw one run on the street to get an idea how they look on the road. He says he's hooked! So, I gave him info about companies, an old Total P catalog I had and the address of this site. I hope he makes it in.

Let me tell ya, it felt really good to talk about T Buckets with someone who was curious and interested. I told him about the joys (driving it) and the pitfalls (little room), so he could understand what all he may be gaining and losing. We traded phone numbers and I invited him to take a drive whenever he wants and when mine is legal.

Now here's the cool part. Just before he left, he asked me if they get a lot of attention. With a sly, straight face, I said. :cool:"Well, you came back to check my car out, didn't you?" Man, we had a great laugh and he had to agree. He says he likes his Vette, but he might see another one at the next light. He said he'll NEVER see what I'm driving in the next year, unless it's me!

I'm not legal yet (soon, so soon) and have only been one block from where she was born, but owning, driving and spreading the word is a joy and a half already! Roll on, brothers!:lol:

Prepare yourself Fred for never being able to come out of a store and drive right away. Every trip out there is going to be someone who is standing around your car with a million questions. Just Sunday Dan and I drove mine to the store for some cold drinks for the shop, and when we came out there was a guy and his little kid kneeling down looking at my car. Turns out he has a Roadrunner with a Hemi, but always wanted to build a car, so he had lots of questions.

I like to gab, so I see it as an opportunity, like you did, to educate people that we hot rodders are just normal everyday people like them. I have even let their kids climb behind the wheel and wonder how many young rodders I have started on the road to financial ruin. :razz: I also like pulling up to a red light next to some Porche or Vette and watching they guy look the other way as if I wasn't even there, even though more people are noticing my car than his $ 60,000.00 little number.

First question is always "did you build it yourself or is it a kit?" To solve that problem on my '27 I had a personalized plate made up. :lol::lol:

Now if that sort of experence isn't an ego builder, I don't know what is.

Ron

Hey, Don. Ya still got sand on yer dash from spreading the word to that young lady at the beach?;) You sly dawg. One of my favorite T Bucket pics.

Mine too, I wake up to her every morning. (her picture is my screensaver :cool:)

I just detailed my car for Billetproof, and really hesitated when it came time to wipe her bare footprint off of my dash! :lol: Yep, she was a cutie.

Don

Ain't it a great feeling??:D

every time I get gas in my Coupe, it takes an extra 20 minutes, just to answer questions and let folks look at it.:cool:

We frequent one of the local What-A-Burgers here in Amarillo, usually on Sunday morning, love me a big 'ole cheeseburger for breakfast:lol::lol:
I had to take the Manager, and the counter chick for a ride last Sunday:cool:

at least I get a fresh, hot burger and fries:lol::lol:

and it does my ego good too:eek::rolleyes:

Vance

Coupefreak said:
Ain't it a great feeling??:D

every time I get gas in my Coupe, it takes an extra 20 minutes, just to answer questions and let folks look at it.:cool:

We frequent one of the local What-A-Burgers here in Amarillo, usually on Sunday morning, love me a big 'ole cheeseburger for breakfast:lol::lol:
I had to take the Manager, and the counter chick for a ride last Sunday:cool:

at least I get a fresh, hot burger and fries:lol::lol:

and it does my ego good too:eek::rolleyes:

Vance

Mannnnnnn, must be sumthin bout you Texans and yur eatin habbits. One has sausages on a grill in the yard and another iz eatin Cheeze Burgers for Breakfast !! Sounds like I should drive down there and experiance this.....LOL. "BH"

Hey BH, iffin y'all ever have a WhataBurger you'll understand. :lol:

VegasBruce said:
Hey BH, iffin y'all ever have a WhataBurger you'll understand. :lol:

They have those in Nevada or Arizona ?????? I'm headin to YUMA Monday Morning........I'll keep my eyes open for one. I dunno what I'm gonna do if I find one....With the wife along all I ever get is Carrot Sticks and somethin thar resembles SAWDUST......"BH":cry:

Baby Huey said:
They have those in Nevada or Arizona ?????? I'm headin to YUMA Monday Morning........I'll keep my eyes open for one. I dunno what I'm gonna do if I find one....With the wife along all I ever get is Carrot Sticks and somethin thar resembles SAWDUST......"BH":cry:

If you're heading this way, there is one in Kingman AZ. :D

Baby Huey said:

Get her a salad and get yourself my personal favorite. A double meat with chesse, bacon and grilled jalapeno, a large fry, hot apple pie and a chocolate shake! If yer gonna go, baby, GO ALL THE WAY!:D

tfeverfred said:
Get her a salad and get yourself my personal favorite. A double meat with chesse, bacon and grilled jalapeno, a large fry, hot apple pie and a chocolate shake! If yer gonna go, baby, GO ALL THE WAY!:D

AMEN Bro. Fred......AMEN!!!

Vance

You said it Fred
Yuma ! man I like Yuma been going out there the last 4 years in Feb for 2 weeks to play with my other toys..always have fun out there and get out of this cold !

RocknT said:
You said it Fred
Yuma ! man I like Yuma been going out there the last 4 years in Feb for 2 weeks to play with my other toys..always have fun out there and get out of this cold !

Whats yer other toys? :D

I fly r/c planes and have been doing that for 25 years a good friend is retired and he spends the winter there we have a lot fun .

RocknT said:
I fly r/c planes and have been doing that for 25 years a good friend is retired and he spends the winter there we have a lot fun .

You should contact Mikey on the NTBA website. He's got a VERY sweet collection that I have seen first hand. Heck, one of his planes looked like it had an 8' wingspan.:eek: I think my dog could fit in it.

Sweet :D

Thats something I haven't gotten into yet.

RocknT said:
I fly r/c planes and have been for 25 years , I have a good friend who is retired and gos out there for the winter .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memid=29445

I just got back from Yuma, only stayed two nights with mom but it was a good trip, nice to see her....We try to drive down every spring break. This year we took our 6 year old grandson, what a riot !
One of the things I wanted to do was find a hobby shop, I'm into plastic models, so is my son and now his kids too...I couldn't find nothin!! I also needed to find a Military Surplus store somewhere there too and again NOTHIN... I figgered with the Marines there and the prooving grounds there would be somethin. I asked but no one seemed to know of any....
I love that desert, I could get lost out there for days !
My Mom lives right across the street from the bombimg range, boy what a show of the Jets and Helicopters !! Really cool......."BH"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back