Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stainless Steel and Brass Grille Shells

rpcrack

Need some input please. I am in the process of building some grille shells based on our radiator design. What I am thinking is to make a grille shell to resemble our Standard 7 row radiator that will fit over your existing radiator. What do you guys think? I would need to know dimensions of frame width(inside frame rails) radiator dimensions, filler neck location,hose inlet/outlet location. I will make a prototype 19.5 inches wide by 4.25 inches deep and post up a pick. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Ron .... I have 1 each of the standard stock shells here. The ''low'' shell is 19'' tall and the ''high'' shell is 21 1/2'' tall. the width is 20''. let me know if you need any other measurments.

Ron

Here is the dimensions of my walker radiator. There is also a picture of the back side as well. I have a TP kit.

A Ford specific radiator would be nice so you don't have to have this goofy lower hose crossing under the engine. I didn't build this car but some chevy guy did. LOL.

The upper is 1 1/2" and the lower 1 3/4".

Tbucketraddimensions.jpg

tbucketrad.jpg

[quote name='Wellbaum's' date='23 December 2009 - 09:14 AM' timestamp='1261588459' post='109110']
Need some input please. I am in the process of building some grille shells based on our radiator design. What I am thinking is to make a grille shell to resemble our Standard 7 row radiator that will fit over your existing radiator. What do you guys think? I would need to know dimensions of frame width(inside frame rails) radiator dimensions, filler neck location,hose inlet/outlet location. I will make a prototype 19.5 inches wide by 4.25 inches deep and post up a pick. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
[/quote]

Ron- Are you talking about a "slipcover" type of thing to disquise a standard Walker type of rad to look like a vintage brass T rad?(complete with dummy neck).I have one of Bill's last ones he made with the Spal fan hidden between two cores.It's a piece of artwork!

Ron- Are you talking about a "slipcover" type of thing to disquise a standard Walker type of rad to look like a vintage brass T rad?(complete with dummy neck).I have one of Bill's last ones he made with the Spal fan hidden between two cores.It's a piece of artwork!

Yes I am. I want to disguise a Walker or 66 Mustang radiator. I think there would be a market for the 66 Mustang shell because of the cost savings of the radiator itself. With the cost of the Walker radiator and my Slip Cover it would be real close to what a Wellbaum's radiator would go for. But maybe someone would like a Walker to look like a Wellbaum's.

Thanks Guys
Ron

There is amarket out there for these shells. In my opinion you would be wise to cater to it. I can find stock useable ''T'' shells to paint anywhere but platable ones are nearly imposible to find. I have made on from scatch but would not be able to do any kind of production that way, the labor cost would be much too high. The shell for the Mustang radiator is a great idea. Sure would help lots of guys out.

Another low cost radiator is one from a 5000-6600 Ford tractor pt# c7nn8005-e. They can easily be found on e-bay. One of my customers has been using one in his T for 5 years with no problems at all. He cal drive in a parade and the tem never goes over 200 degrees.

Ron

[quote name='Wellbaum's' date='23 December 2009 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1261588459' post='109110']

Thanks
Ron
[/quote]

If you make it as nice as everything else that comes out of your shop, then I am sure that it will be something that would catch on! I am on my first build (for a T) and am learning good things on this board every day. I thought that the Mustang radiator was the only budget choice, but now I will check out the Ford tractor lead! I am building a 27 bucket for a customer and a 27 rpu for me while I am at it. and I am trying to save some dough for both of us where I can. I will be ordering one of your tanks soon. BTW, good to know you are on this board, man!

Here is the dimensions of my walker radiator. There is also a picture of the back side as well. I have a TP kit.

A Ford specific radiator would be nice so you don't have to have this goofy lower hose crossing under the engine. I didn't build this car but some chevy guy did. LOL.

The upper is 1 1/2" and the lower 1 3/4".

Tbucketraddimensions.jpg

tbucketrad.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to get the photos and measurements, very helpful.

There is amarket out there for these shells. In my opinion you would be wise to cater to it. I can find stock useable ''T'' shells to paint anywhere but platable ones are nearly imposible to find. I have made on from scatch but would not be able to do any kind of production that way, the labor cost would be much too high. The shell for the Mustang radiator is a great idea. Sure would help lots of guys out.

Another low cost radiator is one from a 5000-6600 Ford tractor pt# c7nn8005-e. They can easily be found on e-bay. One of my customers has been using one in his T for 5 years with no problems at all. He cal drive in a parade and the tem never goes over 200 degrees.

Ron

Thanks for the reply. My challenge is to produce one that I am proud of, yet keep the fabrication time down. Trying to make this a lower cost alternative, but it will still be around 8-10 hours of labor. I will get in touch with my core manufacturer and see if they can supply the 66 radiator and the 5000-6600 tractor radiator. If so, then the overall cost can be lower for me which will free up some fab time.

Ron

If you make it as nice as everything else that comes out of your shop, then I am sure that it will be something that would catch on! I am on my first build (for a T) and am learning good things on this board every day. I thought that the Mustang radiator was the only budget choice, but now I will check out the Ford tractor lead! I am building a 27 bucket for a customer and a 27 rpu for me while I am at it. and I am trying to save some dough for both of us where I can. I will be ordering one of your tanks soon. BTW, good to know you are on this board, man!

Thank you for the kind comments. Bill much deserves the credit for what he loved, Wellbaum's. He left me a great blueprint, and the knowledge to carry on what Darold Wellbaum started 38 years ago. I will be open to any ideas and love the challenge of designing something new.

Looking forward to the tank order. I made some changes to the original, I will post up some pics.

Thanks
Ron

Got a friend here that made two SS grille shells for Walker Cobra Z radiators, his and mine. Took me about 4 hrs to polish it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back