Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly!

LumenAl

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!

t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg

The Good

I've not been logging in much last couple of weeks, man it's tough to get caught up on unread messages here! But I digress... Here is my story...

Well, my 1925 Model T got home last Monday May 11 2009, well... not exactly home as it hasnt run in years and my driveway is just too steep to push it up so its at Dave Dunns house. During my research Ive been able to scratch out a couple of facts. The engine which I believe is the original engine was manufactured Monday, January 29, 1923... The car has what is referred to as a low cowl with a steel firewall (1922 & prior were wood) and low radiator which would be an early 23 (went to tall cowl and radiator mid year in 1923), and windshield slants back which would be 23 or newer... Looks like the car is a 1923, not a 1925 as was claimed... Not that it makes any difference to me, I believe the owner had no idea what he had and theyve never had it running.

Friday, Walt Berdan, president of the Puget Sound Chapter Model T Ford Club of America came over to assess what the heck I bought. We thought we would just learn about the car from him for an hour or so. Before we knew it we were elbow deep in getting coil packs working (he brought some over for me to use)... we cleaned up the contacts on the timer, added "Light Oil", then we took the plugs out and I hand cranked slowly to fire off the coils one by one... had to fix a couple of connections... then we checked the lever for the advance setting as compared to TDC on #1 cylinder... adjustment was bending the rod... LOL (it was too advanced when position on the spark advance lever was fully retarded)...

We then jumped a new 6 Volt battery to the coil pack feed (where magneto hooks to), grabbed a ground... pulled the choke... and proceeded to start cranking it took about 10 tries and that baby came to life! Tons of smoke burning off the headers etc... Well smoke was getting thick so I asked Walt if he wanted to back it out of the garage and he would have none of that it was time for me to man up and just do it so I went on my maiden voyage all 15 feet was in reverse I also quickly discovered the steering is way different as the wheel is only 1 turn from right to left its hard to turn at low speeds and really easy to over steer it all this in 15 feet! After about 10 minutes of running in Daves driveway, all the smoke stopped I guess it was just burning off crud...

I took the fan pulley off and packed it and added a washer and that took the play out of it... Dave changed the flat rear tire with the spare and then tightened the back axles (they were just hand tight). Then it was my turn to get in front and have a crack at hand cranking to get it started again, I think these cars were made for large people to start (or at least bigger that me). I had some serious blood vessel action going on and a major red face trying to crank it over, but finally I got it started and Dave was running the controls. We had to shut it right off for an adjustment of which I was none to happy about but as luck would have it, when we went to start it again she gave me my first free start (this was cool) Walt had a big old grin on his face! A free start is when the timer switch is landed on one of the four contacts that completes the circuit to one of the coils which causes the coil to energize, which makes the spark plug fire. If there is some fuel in the cylinder, it will fire and you have a free start without cranking over the engine!

The Bad

Well then it was time to get in back into the garage, so we noticed we had a problem when I stepped on the clutch to engage 1st gear, the brake handle would fly forward and engage high gear ok little explanation how this works. When the brake handle is straight up, you engage the low gear band in the transmission by depressing the peddle to the floor which tightens the band against the drum and you move forward when you release the pedal the band loosens and you disengage the power however, then the brake lever is forward, then when you release the pedal, you engage the high gear band on the drum and start moving even faster! So Walt gave me very strict instructions to hold to that brake handle in the upright position OK, Got it So Im feathering the clutch pedal, holding the brake handle as I gently guide the car back into the garage Dave was signaling me to turn to the right, which I was attempting to do but not getting it to respond enough as he kept pointing to the right so instinct took over I put both hands on the wheel to get it to turn, which it did while I was now lunging in high gear well, I just ended up standing on the reverse and brake pedals as I rearranged the grand kid's bikes into Daves generator who was by the way busy jumping out of the way. As I sat there for a moment in a pile of humility, we checked for damage non to the car, bikes or generator I looked at Walt and told him that Dave is never going to let me live this down! I was right an email to some of my car club friends was sent out about what I refer to as the "alleged" crash

The Ugly...

The body is not good... the body is loaded with lots of hack metal workand from what I can tell; both sides of the car are hand done panels (and not very well done). The radiator is in need of replacement or new cores installed I have 25 front fenders, I need a complete interior, top, and such and the major part I wasnt counting on she is in need of completely all new wood

Saturday

Went of to the swap meet in MonroeWashington looking for some needed parts. Walt was again a huge help as he was manning the Model T club booth. Walt had set aside a completely rebuilt coil box very nicely done for $50. I got that wand that allows me to access the oil petcock valves, and walked over to this place that had everything I needed Got a complete wiring kit, radiator hoses, fan belt, new fan and pulley, a spring, pawl, and gate for the hand brake, new ignition switch and amp gauge, 4 new innertubes for my balloon 21 tires which I guess is not correct for my year car dont know if Im going to worry about that. Got a polished nickel radiator neck and of course the hex cap, gull wings and motometer which I think is a must for a model T and a hot air pipe for carburetor.

Got back to Daves and we changed out our first innertube into the spare and put in back on the rear as my original spare was not holding air either and installed the new fan pulley and fan. I removed the handbrake from the car, installed the new spring, pawl, and installed the new arched gate... perfect! Hand brake now stays put!

Sunday

Had the Spring Opener car show at the XXX Root Beer in Issaquah with the rest of the club early in the AM with my T-Bucket so that shot most of the day then we got back from the show, slipped on the overalls and proceeded to install the battery, new cables to starter switch, and onto the starter and new grounds. We had to figure out the wiring to the existing non-T switch as the wiring had no way to take battery power to coils. I downloaded wiring diagram, got it figured out turned switch to battery position, stepped on starter button and after a few seconds, she fired up! Well, after letting her warm up it was time to test the magneto flipped the switch and low and behold she kept running, the magneto still works! We shut it down and felt good lots accomplished and she runs and then the radiator started gushing she held together long enough for us to get all this testing done and then just gave out What a champ I think we are going to get along just fine. Having the radiator rebuilt is next

Monday

Well, what are the odds of finding a 23 low style radiator completely rebuilt with new core (flat tube) and nickle neck for $425 in your very first call to the shop? I snagged that puppy and and got it installed tonight along with new hoses... Fired it up and I have to tell ya... she's a happy camper! She idles all day long on the magneto so guess it can't be too bad...

Here's a couple of pics of the new radiator and stuff installed...

t4.jpg
t5.jpg
t6.jpg

WOW, what a treasure. I just love the sound of an old model T Engine running.

Al, You have written a very nice piece. The car is just great and you have a good bit of work to do. However, with that outstanding group of guys known as the garage bunch, the Model T will be spectacular.

Cecil

Fantastic write up Al. I'll be looking forward to ALL the future installments. Best of luck in your rebuilding process.

Jim

Al, i have to damit i was a little worried about your purchas because i kinda pushed it. Sounds like you came through it with flying colors. I'm so relieved! i would have given a lot to be there wenchin with ya. my offer still stands Al, anything i can help with, just let me know. In the meantime, enjoy your new project. Our T center door will be in Mondays parade with my nephew driving it for his first parade. Kinda of a right of passage as he will be the next guardian of it.

Ron

I'm having a lot of fun just getting what I call this little piece of history back up and running... I love all the unique sounds... it's a very mechanical thing... coils buzzing, gears whining, it's a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be...

Ron - I'm going to be in touch on different thoughts on how to approach the body and wood replacement. But first, I have all new stuff coming for the rear end... axles, safety hubs, bearings, and aux brakes... then just going to drive it as is for a bit while I formulate a plan of attack and the funds to achieve it! :)

The cars looking better already, i can tell from the pictures when you bought the car and now.. looks cleaner and you can tell you been working on the engine...

I need to go over to my great aunts house and get some pictures of my great great uncles old car, he passed away when i was a kid, but he had a car that he bought new, its a one owner 1919 touring T thats all original... its still in pretty decent shape, it does need paint though.. I wish i could buy it, might try some day..

I enjoy looking at the originals as much as i do the hotrods.

Al,

It looks like that engine has the 3-piece "rebuildable" spark plugs. By 3-piece....hold the bottom hex of the plug, loosen the smaller hex and you can remove the center cermanic electrode.

Or was that standard for the old plugs?

Martin

Al looks like you were meant for each other. Keep up the story and thanks for buying that car. You know why..............:)

Al....All I can say is "AWESOME WRITE UP"....:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Please what ever you do keep us posted like that. That was the best article I have read so far.

Thank You, Al

Martin72 said:
Al,

It looks like that engine has the 3-piece "rebuildable" spark plugs. By 3-piece....hold the bottom hex of the plug, loosen the smaller hex and you can remove the center cermanic electrode.

Or was that standard for the old plugs?

Martin

That was the way they were back then... Champion still makes them... called champion X plugs... gap is on the side, not the end, run about 25 a piece but like you pointed out, just take them apart and clean them up and you're good to go...

1494s.jpg

Like you I've been away for a while and it's taking a long time to get caught up.

Great write-up Al and a great project! Looking forward to seeing this one through.:)

Mike

Thanks for the detailed write up. I was hoping you could have fun with it right away. Good luck with it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back