Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

starter solenoid

What is the purpose for running a second solenoid on a Chevy?

I run them on my trucks. The second one eliminates the hot start issues with the headers.

I like a second solenoid to keep all the big power wires close to the starter, and now just run a small ground wire to your starter button, which goes to the solenoid... I have not used a key starter in the Ing. switch for years, ends all the slow starting/cranking problems.. unreal how great that works... Drive safe :thumb:

Bruce, I wire mine totally different than that setup.. That is way too much cable and work for me... I just use it as a short cut for the starter button... just 2 #10 wires to a HDuty starter button (one from Battery, then back to solenoid) will do the same thing, stop all the hard cranking problems without having to buy all that heavy battery cable.. Hard cranking also happens in the Morning before anything even gets hot or even warm on engines with HP.. this will cure that forever... Try it, you will like it... to test, I tell everyone to leave their old stock wiring intact, try starting with the key, then the button, all the difference in the World... Happy starting :thumb:

Thanks gents, I just hadn't thought this through.

I understand I would need a Ford solenoid (relay) up-stream of the Chevy solenoid.

I have a relay out of a Bell Jet Ranger starter/generator circuit that is rated at 300 amps at 28 VDC that isn't certified for commercial use. I think I'll use it and conspicuously hang it were it will be guestioned... when I get this thing done, I hope!

Yup, real helicopter parts on my project = big time bragging rights........ well, for me at least.

Bruce, I wire mine totally different than that setup.. That is way too much cable and work for me... I just use it as a short cut for the starter button... just 2 #10 wires to a HDuty starter button (one from Battery, then back to solenoid) will do the same thing, stop all the hard cranking problems without having to buy all that heavy battery cable.. Hard cranking also happens in the Morning before anything even gets hot or even warm on engines with HP.. this will cure that forever... Try it, you will like it... to test, I tell everyone to leave their old stock wiring intact, try starting with the key, then the button, all the difference in the World... Happy starting :thumb:

Does the Ford solenoid have to be grounded?

My ford solenoids had to be grounded. i use 2 of them one for the starter so the cable going to the starter isnt hot all the time and the other is my ACC that controls the 12 volt to the fuse panel,fuel pump,headlts,and so on . So the key turns the ACC solenoid on and supplies all power to everything rotating the key to the start position energizes solenoid 2 and starts the car. so when i turn the key off everything is really OFF. Remember that the Ford starter solenoid is NOT rated for continious duty ONLY for starting only. If you use a traditional ford solenoid for anything other than the starter it WILL BURN UP!!! I repeat IT WILL BURN UP!!!! I went to a winch supply in okla city and picked up a continuious duty solenoid and it looks just like the ford starter type but it isnt.

My ford solenoids had to be grounded. i use 2 of them one for the starter so the cable going to the starter isnt hot all the time and the other is my ACC that controls the 12 volt to the fuse panel,fuel pump,headlts,and so on . So the key turns the ACC solenoid on and supplies all power to everything rotating the key to the start position energizes solenoid 2 and starts the car. so when i turn the key off everything is really OFF. Remember that the Ford starter solenoid is NOT rated for continious duty ONLY for starting only. If you use a traditional ford solenoid for anything other than the starter it WILL BURN UP!!! I repeat IT WILL BURN UP!!!! I went to a winch supply in okla city and picked up a continuious duty solenoid and it looks just like the ford starter type but it isnt.

I never had a problem with an ungrounded Ford solenoid, not a problem in doing so, I am sure. The two ears that attache the solenoid to the car are the only place I could think of for a ground.
NAPA has a good selection of continous duty solenoids with different metals for contacts. I have one on my mustang and have one to be installed on my son's.

All ford solenoids need grounding the base is metal and when attached to the firewall or frame provide the ground for the solenoid coil. The posts on the solenoid are the battery in and out . the small front posts are the ingition coil 12 volt out and the solenoid coil 12 volt in to start. The only Ford type that doesnt need grounding is the forklift style with 4 large posts and 1 small front post.
just my opinion

All ford solenoids need grounding the base is metal and when attached to the firewall or frame provide the ground for the solenoid coil. The posts on the solenoid are the battery in and out . the small front posts are the ingition coil 12 volt out and the solenoid coil 12 volt in to start. The only Ford type that doesnt need grounding is the forklift style with 4 large posts and 1 small front post.
just my opinion
Who knows?? maybe the solenoid I have works or is different? one small post is a 12 volt going out,(I may not have that post? I will have to go check that out) the other is to a grounding type start button...

Your right who knows they have made so many different types i may not have seen what you are talking about Let me REphrase my statement " the ford solenoids i have dealt with" that sounds better to me to . Thanks Ted

I hope to add a cigarette lighter to the Bucket this week. If I can remember, I will unbolt the Ford type solenoid and see what the results are. It is bolted to the frame and if the tabs are for grounding, mine is grounded now.

This is one of those IMHO posts, a solinoid is an electo-magnet it ain't going to work without a ground from somewhere.........ruggs

I replaced the stock starter with one of those mini geared units and I don't have any more hard starting. Got it off eBay for less than $100.

The Ford 4 post solenoid has to be grounded to work. I removed mine from the frame, laid a glove under it for insulation and turned the key, nothing. I learned something.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back