Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Column Bracket

engine24355

Getting ready to replace my whole stearing system from the box up to the wheel (current one is too short). Having said that, I need to get a longer column for a more comfortable and natrual feel. With my current column set up I do not have to run a drop bracket to support the higher part of the column, but with the new one I will need some type of support. Need some advise on how to mount a bracket with the dash being fiberglass. Want to make sure the bracket is mounted solidly where the fiberglass will not crack or break from the stress. Any suggestions or thoughts on the best way to do this? Have a couple of ideas, but want to ask the experts. Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Does your fire wall have a plywood backing? Do you have a outside firewall cover?

Ron

I'm not that familiar with ccr's steering set up but here's what I would suggest. The fiberglass dash isn't strong enough to support your column, so about the only option you have left is to come off the plywood behind the firewall. If you have a piece of aluminum or plexy as a firewall covering, you could remove it and install T-nuts thru the plywood to bolt a column support to. If you place the support at the top of the firewall, it will all but disappear from sight. I like to use a triangular type of mount for max strength. You have more than likely figured this out already, but that's how I do mine. Some will tell you it's not needed, but I've retro fitted several buckets with supports because fractures were found in 'vair boxes without a column support. Hope this helps.

Ron

Youngster said:
I'm not that familiar with ccr's steering set up but here's what I would suggest. The fiberglass dash isn't strong enough to support your column, so about the only option you have left is to come off the plywood behind the firewall. If you have a piece of aluminum or plexy as a firewall covering, you could remove it and install T-nuts thru the plywood to bolt a column support to. If you place the support at the top of the firewall, it will all but disappear from sight. I like to use a triangular type of mount for max strength. You have more than likely figured this out already, but that's how I do mine. Some will tell you it's not needed, but I've retro fitted several buckets with supports because fractures were found in 'vair boxes without a column support. Hope this helps.

Ron

Thanks for the advice Ron. Not sure I follow you on this however. I do like the idea of running somthing from the top of the firewall for a support. Also, I have thought of running a support from the floor up to the lower part of the column, but do not want to take up any more room than I already have.

Here's a quick sketch of a column support.

Youngster said:
Here's a quick sketch of a column support.

This is just what I had pictured after I thought about your suggestion. Seems to be pretty easy to do. Think I have a pretty good idea on how to make, but any advice on materials or a parts list?

On one car I added a small tab to bolt to the bottom of the dash. The dash was flat and would vibrate sometimes. Depending on the location of your column, you could add a panel between the two tubes. It would be a good spot to place things like a high beam indictor light or a toggle switch for an interior light or ?. As for mat'l, what ever you have on hand willwork. I use 10ga. for the mounting plate and 16ga. round tubing. For the column sleeve a piece of exhaust tubing works good. Buy the way, on one of the cars he had some odd sized tube for a jacket so I used half of the sleeve and put a screw on each side into the jacket. The support itself doesn't have to be made of haevy duty mat'l. the design of the support is where the strength comes from.

Ron

Thanks for all of the advice Ron. Think I have a good in-expensive way of making this bracket. If I cannot get to work, I may have to get you to make me one...lol. How much do you charge for labor etc....lol?

I work cheap.....$50 an hour.....but you would get my Tbucketeer discount of $49.95 an hour.

Ron

Youngster said:
I work cheap.....$50 an hour.....but you would get my Tbucketeer discount of $49.95 an hour.

Ron

Well Ron, it looks like I may need your help here. I need a good support for my new steering column and like your design the best. I have tried to make one myself, but it did not turn out well...lol. So, can you help me out here? Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back