Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Column Welding Help...

engine24355

First of all, a big thanks goes out to EX JUNK for helping me with a new steering column. He is a great guy and helped me out tremendously and as you all know, does outstanding work (just look at his 27).

At this point, I have all the components to put my new custom made steering column together. However, I need to find someone who can weld aluminum. The column and mounting plate are both aluminum and need to be welded up. I have checked locally and the price I was given was $65.00 per hour for aluminum welding. Does this seem fair to you guys? I have no experience with aluminum so not sure if this is a good labor charge or not. I would prefer using a fellow Tbucketeer to weld this up, but realize not everyone has the right equipment to weld aluminum. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

John, have you checked any trade schools or high school shop classes in your area. Many times they are more than willing to take on small jobs and usually only want the cost of the materials for the job.

Jim

engine24355,

For a commercial shop $65.00 per hour is about right. Now if it's a buddy, well a 6 pack ought to do the trick. And if you were here in Mountain View, Arkansas (a dry county) then lunch at the grocery store deli would be what I charge. Tuesdays and Fridays are catfish days!

George

Thanks for the help guys. I have been asking around, but have only found the one fabrication shop so far. Maybe something will come up, but at least I have one place that I know can take care of it.

Try any machine shop.. Usually any machine shop or tool & die shop will have a tig...

I'm in western ky. Our shop rate has went down recently due to the economy..

engine24355,

I think there's still a drag strip near you. Got to be somebody at the track that knows of a TIG machine in someones garage. Worst case, clamp it together with visegrips and 200MPH tape and motor up to Arkansas. I'll even buy the catfish!

George

fluidfloyd said:
engine24355,

I think there's still a drag strip near you. Got to be somebody at the track that knows of a TIG machine in someones garage. Worst case, clamp it together with visegrips and 200MPH tape and motor up to Arkansas. I'll even buy the catfish!

George

There is a drag strip near here, Red River Raceway. It is a good track and the last time I checked it was a NHRA sanctioned track. Anyway, what part of AR are you in? I am not far from AR and might have to come up and visit. I have the colomn ready to go, just need to get it welded up.

engine24355,

I was just kidding you about making a long haul to get it welded as I'm sure you can get it done locally for a lot less then the gas bill will be. However, if you want to drive up then the offer is still good. I'm about 120 miles north of Little Rock. Spirit Chassis is bout 40 miles north of me. So if you want to drive up then just let me know. I'm good for most Saturdays and Sundays plus the weekdays. Probably won't be around on Sat. 28th of March. Otherwise I should be good. Make it easy on yourself.

George
prodesigns1@yahoo.com
870/269-3802 Shop

Check with a local welding supply shop. They will know who has a TIG and does aluminum.

Well, I dropped off the column today to the fab shop mentioned earlier. Hopefully I will get back tomorrow. Figured I could eventually find someone to weld up for cheaper, but I know these guys will do a professional job and I can be done with it. Thanks for all of your advice.

I had a guy at one of my stops bought some on ebay and said it worked great.

engine24355; Well, I dropped off the column today to the fab shop mentioned earlier.

I guess this means you aren't coming to Arkansas and I'll be eating catfish by myself. Maybe next time.

George

fluidfloyd said:
engine24355,

I was just kidding you about making a long haul to get it welded as I'm sure you can get it done locally for a lot less then the gas bill will be. However, if you want to drive up then the offer is still good. I'm about 120 miles north of Little Rock. Spirit Chassis is bout 40 miles north of me. So if you want to drive up then just let me know. I'm good for most Saturdays and Sundays plus the weekdays. Probably won't be around on Sat. 28th of March. Otherwise I should be good. Make it easy on yourself.

George
prodesigns1@yahoo.com
870/269-3802 Shop
George, The property we bought and wanted to build on is in Berryville, probably not too far from you, when I get back there for a visit, I will give you a hollar. Ted

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back