Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Dampers, anyone?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Anyone using a steering damper? Where do you get it, how do you mount it, etc. My bucket has rack&pinion steering and really needs some damping.

Maybe MA&PA T will see your post, he has rack and pinion but I believe does not have a dampener. He does have a Pan-hard rod, maybe that is all you need. Great looking bucket you have there. :cool:

A steering damper does not fix anything. All it does is mask the real problem. I suggest that you really dig in and find out what is causing your steering problem.

One of the first places that I would look would be the mounting of the rack and pinion. An improperly mounted rack can cause many problems. The number one is bump steer.

Jim

For the first time I just installed one on my 27. Haven't hit the street yet but I have read so much positive about them that I figured it couldn't hurt. Never really had a problem with the car before but I've bumped up the HP a bit and plan on racing it at some events like the Billetproof drags, and just want as much stability as I could get when the tach is pegged.

Not sure how you could do it with R and P steering though. Not much tie rod sticking out there to fasten one to. I got mine from SoCal and here is how it mounts on mine, which is typical.

Don
dansfloordone009.jpg

I saw Potvinguys car last weekend and it's one nice ride. I hope my 27 turns out half as nice as it is. Its definitely a car you will remember.

Just sent you a PM, send us a picture so we can see what you have, what problems are you having?

Jerry

if Potvinguys bucket is the one I think it is, YES it is a COOL car. First time I saw it was at the Houston Autorama back around 93 or so.

Jim is right, rack placement can be very critical. But I bet there is no panhard bar on your car. That is a neccessity with a rack. When I was first building a T with rack and pinion steering, Everyone told me it wouldnt work. And a lot of those actually seemed kinda smart too. Well it did work, and worked great. Well I went looking for answers as to why I did this effortlessly, and apparently no one before did. My search for answers led me to a friend of a friend, that was an engineer in the steering dept at visteon. This guy had, at that time, 7 us patents for steering gear and pump designs, and had written SAE tech papers. A real expert, not like the wannabe interent experts I had encountered before... Well thru all the emails with a real expert, showing them to my father, and discussing it with him... What we all came up with is the difference on the car we built and the others was we used a torsion bar front end. The torsion arms stopped any side to side movement. And as we have learned here, in previous discussions, T builders dont like to run front panhard bars. Well the shackle deflection is the problem. With one side pushing, and the pther side pulling, the shackles fold just like hinges.
Also thru those emails, I learned a lot about how the process of designing the front suspension & steering goes on a production car. The three biggest things are that there is no set amount of toe change that is acceptable or unacceptable. It all depends on vehicle dynamics. And two, with all the $$$ the OEMs have, and the computers, etc... the engineers still rely on their past experiences and road testing before something goes into production. And three, rack placement can be critical. sometimes as little as an 1/8" of movement can make a big difference. Although I have never had that experience. Maybe I have just been lucky ;)

You guys have me thinking about putting one of these on my T. Only problem is my tie rod is in front of the axle. Could I intall over the axel? See the picture and let me know what the experts think (sorry for the outdated pic...will take better pic).

IMG_0054.jpg

Engine you bigest problem is you dont have any cool mirrors with LED turn signals in them. Your wife is gona put a knot in your tail if you mention a rack and pinion steering. Your car looks great just like it is . PS hows that new little one doing these days.

rooster57 said:
Engine you bigest problem is you dont have any cool mirrors with LED turn signals in them. Your wife is gona put a knot in your tail if you mention a rack and pinion steering. Your car looks great just like it is . PS hows that new little one doing these days.

I know, I had some that looked identical to yours at one point, but one day they just disappeared. Seems like your new mirror post surfaced shortly there after...hmmmm. Anyway, I am sorry that I did not clarify, but I was just asking about adding a damper to my current setup. Thanks for the compliment though and the little one is doing great (8 weeks old). Will not be long before he will be out turning wrenches with his big brother (2 years old). Thanks for asking.

Engine, that front end ain't movin' anywhere. Nice panhard bar and gas/oil shocks there, no need for a steering damper. Bet she drives nice, sure looks fine.

BlownT, what a memory! The '93 Houston Autorama was my first show after the build. Here's the front end. It's Speedway's 4-bar with Panhard. I don't have any big problems with the steering, but the R&P gives 100% feedback, so every bump in the road comes thru to the steering wheel, which gets tiresome. I figure a damper would cut down on the abuse. But I don't have a tie rod, so will need to mount the damper to one of the steering arms somehow. Right now I'm looking for sources for dampers and brackets, etc.

Now I see what you are saying. I haven't a rack on my Bucket but on other Rods that I put Rack and Pinion I used a Vibration Resistor U-Joint with great success. You can get them at Speedway, Summit and Jeg's and other places. Here is on from Flaming River.

Vibration Resistors

Yeah I was thinking it was around 93. The first year I finished mine and had it in Autorama was with the Goodtimes Streetrods in 94, 95 and 96. That was the last I put it in was 96. Way way WAY too much work, especially with carpet (two 60' rolls) and bigass heavy crankshaft staunchions and rope for 6 cars. I ain't even been to Autorama the last two years. Pisses me off now to go there and see nothing but mostly STOCK crap there and the swap meet now is mostly Hotwheel crap and crafts. Used to be good when it was at the Astrohall. Now its just crap.

But I do LOVE your car and I bet I spent around 30 minutes around your car back in 93.

donsrods said:
For the first time I just installed one on my 27. Haven't hit the street yet but I have read so much positive about them that I figured it couldn't hurt. Never really had a problem with the car before but I've bumped up the HP a bit and plan on racing it at some events like the Billetproof drags, and just want as much stability as I could get when the tach is pegged.

Not sure how you could do it with R and P steering though. Not much tie rod sticking out there to fasten one to. I got mine from SoCal and here is how it mounts on mine, which is typical.

Don
dansfloordone009.jpg

How does she drive now?

Well, when I pushed it around the garage it seems more stable.:D:lol: Haven't got it back on the road yet, still building the engine. But I really think it will help, or at least not be any worse.

Don

donsrods said:
Well, when I pushed it around the garage it seems more stable.:D:lol: Haven't got it back on the road yet, still building the engine. But I really think it will help, or at least not be any worse.

Don

LOL...I understand. Mine has been sitting in the same place for months trying to get the new engine dialed in or just to idle right. Sent my new Holley back today for testing so it will be a little while longer.

2075669275_cae021afa6_o.jpg

Not sure if you can see it but there's a steering dampener on Kletus, just one of the those VW style rebadged SoCal (and therefore more expensive) things put on by Jeff when he built the car.

Does it make a difference? I have no idea. I never took it off to see if it really does anything good.

I can tell you the car drives great with no shocks on the front, lots and lots of highway miles, a few 500 mile trips, car really does roll nice. Maybe I'm lucky.

Spirit setup, radial tires, Toolman alignment, it's a tad stiff in the front and if I ever get the chance I'll soften it up a little and add some hyd shocks.

I'll probably leave the steering dampener on there unless I find some reason to remove it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back