Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering Shaft Mount Question

spartacus

I have an older t-bucket with a wood and fiberglass firewall that's fairly thick. I was going to replace the steering wheel and column and the old worn out mount.
There's no metal in the dash though to screw a drop down mount to. I can go through the firewall with a mount from Speedway, but don't I also need one in the dash area? If so, any solution?

You need some kind of support from the dash area to keep the steering column from feeling wobbly. In my case I fiber glassed a couple of "bulkheads" (pieces of plywood) between the dash and the firewall to give it rigidity. I also have a piece of plywood glassed to the backside of my dashboard, with cutouts for the instruments. So, my column mount is just a sheet metal saddle mounted to the backside of the dash. Hope that makes sense.

I will have a 1”x1” tube anchored to the floor and a tube from front of door and brace the windshield frame to it and a steering column it. Then a diagonal from the windshield area to the floor at the firewall.

I will have a 1”x1” tube anchored to the floor and a tube from front of door and brace the windshield frame to it and a steering column it. Then a diagonal from the windshield area to the floor at the firewall.

Any chance you might have a picture of that? That's a good idea.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back