Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Steering column question

BilWilVegas

I am thinking about redoing the steering column in my new (to me) bucket.

I sort of like the nearly vertical look of the current column but it is SOOOO close the the left side of the body (see pic below with my flip flop for reference). I could easily get used to the current position of the steering wheel but it would be easier if it were in a more normal angle and would provide more room for my left foot and leg. At this point I can not really get my shoe past the column and am driving with my left knee sticking up between my body and the steering wheel.

146555081_3905632659455211_3372017111438445894_o.jpg

146684431_3905632589455218_6987425181334683183_o.jpg

What are the pros and cons of the two positions. I see that Flaming River and a few other manufacturers offer collapsible columns for traditional angled mounts (which is nice from a safety perspective). What would I need to do to convert my car to this style? Is it too late to convert once the car is built? How will it impact the look of the open engine space?

I realize I have posted a ton of questions and I am truly thankful for any insight you guys can offer. This is a new car to me and I am looking to make some upgrades to the electrical system and realized that if I am going to change the steering it might be wise to do that before running the new harness since it will change the wires for my ignition and turn signals (possibly the headlights also). I also want to make these decisions before I have the new carpet installed as this will change how they cut and install the floor carpet.

Thanks!

Bill

I am thinking about redoing the steering column in my new (to me) bucket. . . . What would I need to do to convert my car to this style?

It can be done, but it's a lot of work. The thru-the-firewall location definitely provides more foot room. Corvair and Vega boxes are the most popular because of their compact size. How handy are you with a MIG welder?

It can be done, but it's a lot of work. The thru-the-firewall location definitely provides more foot room. Corvair and Vega boxes are the most popular because of their compact size. How handy are you with a MIG welder?

I can not weld at all, but I have a good friend who is amazing with a welder. I will go dig around for some instructions, or videos, on the process to share with him. It sure would be nice to have the extra foot room. :)

The thru-the-firewall location definitely provides more foot room.

Not always Spanky. Guys have commented on how much room my T has with the vertical column compared to their with a firewall one. All down to how you set it all out.

I would suppect that steering box in there now is mounted on the outside of the frame and that is why you don't have any room. I would change the colummn though the firewall and use a Halfrack mounted on the out side of the frame in front of the firewall. see the photos below......36679891_10215720847790602_8870938651316453376_n.jpg 36632343_10215720845430543_3149721726879793152_n.jpg
More photos can be sent........

I changed from a vertical column to a angled one for the same reason... mine is also standard shift so it was critical to gain space. It is a lot of work. Without knowing what you have to work with it’s hard to say for sure, but you will likely have to change the steering gear box, mounting, etc, and of course the column. You will need to devise a method of securing the column mount to the car, which will entail reinforcing the dash area, and the drag link will likely require modification. Parts are not universal on these things. Everything requires modification and fabrication. Be honest with yourself and do your research before tearing into it would be my advice. Ron Pope (RPM) is a good source for parts.

I would suppect that steering box in there now is mounted on the outside of the frame and that is why you don't have any room. I would change the colummn though the firewall and use a Halfrack mounted on the out side of the frame in front of the firewall. see the photos below......View attachment 20404 View attachment 20405
More photos can be sent........

I will check where mine is mounted currently. From the look of yours, it would provide significantly more interior space than mine does.

I've put on some weight the past few years, hard for me to get out....I went the removable quick disconnect steering wheel route....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back