Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Buckets practical or impractical

In the words of Arthur 'Fonzie' Fonzarelli: "It don't matter where you've been..... don't matter where you're going... Just how cool you look getting there". heeey.

Russ

I am reminded of the email tag line that someone uses ... "Normal is a setting on my wash machine!"

I seem to be pretty comfortable in mine. Of course I built it so I didn't look like the "monkey humping a football" hunched over the steering wheel, etc. I am building a black canvas top, and looking for a 30's heater for mine this month as well. Can't wait to show you.
Cruise.jpg

A little updated picture to show some of the subtle finishing I've been doing to mine this summer, like interior panels, etc. Been driving this thing a lot.
roadster.jpg

I seem to be pretty comfortable in mine. Of course I built it so I didn't look like the "monkey humping a football" hunched over the steering wheel, etc. I am building a black canvas top, and looking for a 30's heater for mine this month as well. Can't wait to show you.
Cruise.jpg

A little updated picture to show some of the subtle finishing I've been doing to mine this summer, like interior panels, etc. Been driving this thing a lot.
roadster.jpg

Wicked50Coupe,

How are you able to sit so low and not have your knees sticking up?

Bob

Attachments

• DSC00889 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    DSC00889 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 34
Wicked50Coupe,

How are you able to sit so low and not have your knees sticking up?

Bob
Mine's pretty long inside - it's a steel bodied Willy's four door shortened, notice how long the cowl alone is. It's actually almost too long. I'm pretty close to 6'tall and my knees are a a very slight bend. The body on mine is only channeled a couple inches over the frame at the cowl, but none at all in the rear. Additionally, I am sitting in tractor buckets directly on the floor. If you had an extra one foot of length in your body, I could see your legs laying out like mine do.

I have never actually had a bucket with a screen more than 6 inches, and subsequently, have never had a roof.

Longest intercity trip with the old blown big block was about 170 miles and I havent taken the car out with the new, larger blower motor yet.

My bucket has excellent steering, a 105 wheelbase and its well engineered. Driving position is fine as its what we call a "big bodied" bucket (there were 3 main manufacturers down here all with their own molds) and the floor is pretty much totally flat so my oversize feet have no issues.

And I have a 6 point cage and a 5 point harness. So I figure that Im pretty safe in the car. And that adds a lot to the pleasure of driving it around.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I had a top on my first T-Bucket that worked like a vacuum and almost got me clobbered by a bird. While going through some old photos looking for a couple of shots to post on my Hub Garage I ran across a couple of photos of that bucket with the top. I had forgotten that the back panel on both sides of the window unzipped and rolled up which reduced that vacuum effect. It wouldn't have helped me with the bird because I going through the mountains and had the flap down, but I thought you guys might like to see the top.

BTW . . . I ask about once a year . . . does anyone happen fo know where this T-Bucket is located today. A friend told me he saw it in the Santa Cruz area about 3 years ago. It's the only car I've built over the years that I have lost track of.

Attachments

• T-Top_01.jpg
    T-Top_01.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 81
  • T-Top_02.jpg
    T-Top_02.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 109
We call the flap at the back a 'gypsy curtain'. I have always planned to put one in the Fad. They look cool and give you the choice of down for looks and up for ventilation e.g air flow through the top rather than an air brake, As I am looking at a BIG top like TST where the sides are wide of the screen by a lot it seems a way of letting the pressure 'vent' away would be a good move.
Gerry

For something to be "practical" it has to fulfill a purpose.
I'm building mine to be fun. That's its purpose. If it can be that.. it's practical.
Simple. like me. :jester:

If I wanted a really practical thing I'd have an El Camino with a removable cap and seats in the back.
Or a Sherman tank. That would do it all.

I just bought a welder today (after the owner of the one I was using finally took his home) so let the practical processes begin again! :hooray:

took another 340 mile round trip just for fun again this past Saturday. We set no real destination so that way the journey is more fun. Since I put the new motor in the car August 14th or so I have put over 1,600 miles on it.

took another 340 mile round trip just for fun again this past Saturday. We set no real destination so that way the journey is more fun. Since I put the new motor in the car August 14th or so I have put over 1,600 miles on it.
This is what I used to do every night, just get in and drive, to where ever the radiator led me, like you say, that makes it a lot more interesting and fun. all new people see and talk with... Drive safe :)

I would call mine practical, I have a full windshield, windwings. top, independent front suspension cruise control. To go anywhere around here is at least 100 miles. My wife and I have done several 400+ miles trips at least two over 500 miles in one day. We put over 5000 miles on the bucket in only 8 months and plan more next year, on long trips we always put a minature teardrop trailer for the luggage and spare parts.The only changes I during the winter will be a new exhaust system, a new top and maybe fenders. The plan is to drive the 1300+ miles from home to the NTBA nationals in Dayton OH in 30hrs.
Dean

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back