Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T-Buckets W/Roll Bar?

frodin1

Hey there everyone, I've had a few people ask me if I was going to do a roll bar in my car. I don't know if I've ever seen one in a T before, but I'd like to see some pictures, just to see what it looks like. So please post some pics if anyone has some. Thanks!

I really don't think a roll bar would do any good in a Bucket.

Perhaps he is looking from a purely cosmetic viewpoint rather than a functional one.

Jim

Perhaps he is looking from a purely cosmetic viewpoint rather than a functional one.

Jim

Yea, cosmetic. I haven't seen one in a bucket before. Just wondered if anybody has done it? My Bucket is a fiberglass VW based project , therefore I guess it would be a V bucket? LOL Being a VW and even though I built the pan from scratch, there's really nothing but the rear suspension tubing to attach one too. I think it would be more of a pain then it would be worth. Got some new shoes for it today. The rears are sitting crooked because I don't have the motor in yet, that's tomorrows chore.
buggy002.jpg

So please post some pics if anyone has some. Thanks!

Probably wouldn't provide complete protection in a rollover, but would help some, and it makes a great grab bar for holding on to while climbing into the car. That's important when you're 60 years old! :rolleyes:

Bob

I have seen very few cages that look great, but have one in my car as I drag race it as well as driving it on the street. You can see pikkys in the pikky section. My cage is not pretty but I think it would be pretty effective if it ever needed to do what its intended to do - protect me in an accident.

That said, I always planned to take my cage out (its a bolt in jobby) when I wasnt racing - but its been in now for 6 years and Im not taking it out anytime soon. The safe feeling I have when strapped in - I have a 5 point harness and a 6 point cage - outweighs the asthetic benefits of no cage.

I guess if I was to put it in a show, I might consider removing the cage, but for driving, Im happy inside my cage. I figure I might even have half a chance if somebody T boned me.

I have seen some buckets with a single loop behind the driver to protect them in case of rollover. but few are ever padded. And I have seen many where the top of the bar is under the top of the drivers head. Not so smart in my view.

Head injuries are far uglier than roll cages in my opinion.

Head injuries are far uglier than roll cages in my opinion.

Unless you're going to wear a helmet, or use a high backed seat, a roll bar would probably be more hazardous than a roll over. Just my opinion, but I do still have a 1 1/2" diameter groove in my skull from a test drive in a Gratiot Sprint T. Also a bar tall enough to be legal (3"above top of helmet) or usefull, would be too tall to look good.

Hey there everyone, I've had a few people ask me if I was going to do a roll bar in my car. I don't know if I've ever seen one in a T before, but I'd like to see some pictures, just to see what it looks like. So please post some pics if anyone has some. Thanks!

How's this for a roll bar?

h3.jpg

I have tried MANY variations of roll bar for my car, in sketch form only, and found NONE that looked good. Even though they looked good in my minds eye, they did not make it once they were drawn out to scale.

Jim

Maybe a bit more than you were looking for? .........ruggs
DSC00499.jpg

The cage Ruggs showed is pretty similar to mine.

Looks fine in a racecar styled T, but may look a bit "jungle gym for the kids" in a VW powered rod. But it will enhance your safety.

Remember, if you can bang your head on your cage/rollbar, then you need to have it padded. Coz steel is stronger than your head.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back