Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TH-400 question

The wrong converter will definitely ruin your driving experience. I ran a stock converter for years and loved its instant hookup, but it did creep in gear. I now run a 2100 stall which still creeps but is a little looser. Cruising at 2000, it will flash to 2300 when you give it gas, which is just about perfect. A 3000 stall would just be flailing behind a mild small block.

I put a stock TH400 with a stock TQ (maybe from a truck) in my bucket, and it would idle at 30 mph! Had to really stand on brakes to hold it at a stop. Swapped the stock TQ, which was maybe 12" diameter, for a B&M 2800 Holeshot, maybe 9" diameter, and it's a pleasure to drive now.

The weight of the car is indeed what I meant when I talked about choosing a converter. Since I know of no formula to figure it out I am just going to take a stab at it and see if I pick the right one.

The weight of the car is indeed what I meant when I talked about choosing a converter. Since I know of no formula to figure it out I am just going to take a stab at it and see if I pick the right one.
Why would you not pick up the phone and call someone like TCI, to get their recommendation? Taking a stab at it sounds a lot like pinning a tail on a donkey, to me. Companies like TCI specifically hire individuals with years of experience to staff their tech lines, so people like you can get your questions answered, so why would you not take full advantage of that knowledge?

I don't know, maybe a $300 expenditure is not such a big deal for most people, but from where I sit, if you spend the money on the right converter, the first time out, that means there won't be any need to spend the money a second time, nor will you have to expend the effort to swap things out. Maybe I am just lazy, that way?

I sometimes wonder why people always have to try to make things difficult, when things are already so easy. :confused:

Makes a lot of sense Mike. Call an expert that really knows. Keep it as cheap as possible, and it'll still empty your wallet.

Smokey, I have a converter that is one step over stock and am running a rough idling cam and my car acts much like an everyday car at a light in that it barely creeps at all, even with my foot lightly on the brake. I don't really like the higher stall converter and find it unnecessary for my car. If you like, you can come over to Oviedo and I'll take you out in it and you can decide for yourself.

Jim

Smokey, I have a converter that is one step over stock and am running a rough idling cam and my car acts much like an everyday car at a light in that it barely creeps at all, even with my foot lightly on the brake. I don't really like the higher stall converter and find it unnecessary for my car. If you like, you can come over to Oviedo and I'll take you out in it and you can decide for yourself.

Jim
Yes, the first step over stock is an excellent choice for a T. It will hook up very smartly and maintain quick throttle response at cruising speeds. If your engine has a very torquey cam, it will jump slightly and drop about 100 rpm when dropping in gear, but will still be very easy to hold at a traffic light.

I must be confused. I thought transmissions had clutches in front of them!
Only the ones with an extra petal! I have never had an issue with idle creep, but I guess a T is very light. I was thinking in terms of matching the cam to the converter and the rear end gear to the tires and related components to preserve the clutches as I thought we were comparing th400 to th350. Wouldn't dropping the idle minimize creep? Drop the idle speed below the stall speed. There are different size stock converters as well, depending on what it came out of. Obviously a converter from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is not suited for a light car. I have a vega converter in a 350 that worked well.

Thanks Ex-junk! I may take you up on that offer one day. Thanks to Mike and all the other folks for the advice. It sounds like I will be fine with the type converter you suggest. In the very least I have a good idea where to start. I will be diving back into this build shortly after the new year so hopefully I can get the chassis done and have a roller soon. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back