Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"These look like sculptures!"

tfeverfred

Spoken by my little niece today when my sister brought her and her brother over to visit. I was looking (dreaming) at a few magazines and a book with chassis pics was on the table. She picked it up and flipped through it and said, "Uncle Freddie? These look like sculptures!" I had to laugh, but then I looked and they DID look so beautiful that they could be in a museum somewhere!

I have often said what we are into is a form of art, but hearing it from a smart 11 year old only confirmed it.:lol:

This does NOT mean I'm going to wear one of those funny French hats when I cruise!:D

When art is presented in it's purest form, you do not need to be fellow artest to enjoy it. Case in point, my wife and I have been married more than 30 yrs. with absolutly nothing in common, other than the love for each other. She had no interest at all in my desire to build a 23T. While looking through the latest issue of Hot rod Journal, she ran across the "lightnin' bug". She said that was the most beautiful car see has ever seen. She is now involved in how ourcar will look.:lol: Got to love it.

thomas:)

Building a hot rod used to mean you had a aftermarket cam(ie the hot rod-hot cam) but today it means so much more. To hot rod something it seems today is to spend just as much time on your frame and suspension as any other part of the car. Even rat rodders revel in "Z"ing a frame or stepping it. To truly build a hot rod is to take every part of the automobile as artistic creation.

I love it:) rolling pieces of art, custom tailored to the owners.

Nailbomb said:
Building a hot rod used to mean you had a aftermarket cam(ie the hot rod-hot cam) but today it means so much more. To hot rod something it seems today is to spend just as much time on your frame and suspension as any other part of the car. Even rat rodders revel in "Z"ing a frame or stepping it. To truly build a hot rod is to take every part of the automobile as artistic creation.

I love it:) rolling pieces of art, custom tailored to the owners.

Very well done! Once I realised that a ton of HP, chrome and candy paint wasn't needed to build a Hot Rod, that is when I came up with the idea to just build a nice, well thought out build. Why build a 600HP motor, when 250HP will still get the job done due to the power to weight ratio? I used to love the $10,000 worth of chrome show cars, but I grew up and realised that it just isn't needed or practical on a driver to impress others or yourself. As for $5,000 candy paint jobs, there's no way I'd have that much money in a paint job for a driver! I've noticed a lot of people admiring cars with great attention to detail, not just how much money someone tossed into it.

Not having a big budget brings out creativity when it comes to doing my build. I can't afford a lot of chrome, HP or fancy paint, so using the right color scheme and attention to detail is going to have to do.

:lol: Now, if I buy a ticket and hit the Lotto, that's a different issue.

thomas said:
When art is presented in it's purest form, you do not need to be fellow artest to enjoy it. Case in point, my wife and I have been married more than 30 yrs. with absolutly nothing in common, other than the love for each other. She had no interest at all in my desire to build a 23T. While looking through the latest issue of Hot rod Journal, she ran across the "lightnin' bug". She said that was the most beautiful car see has ever seen. She is now involved in how ourcar will look.:D Got to love it.

I'm with her, Thomas. The more I look at it, the more it just looks perfect! It's so simple, yet detailed! It just works. Heck, I checked on the cost of a chopped '32 grill and radiator. It isn't cheap, but I just may end up trying to get it. Maybe.

These cars are art and we are artist working a canvas. Plain and simple.

It's good you got your lady in on the act. My girl really didn't know what was up with hot rods. She just thought they were "cute old timey cars", but now she is more than willing to offer her input. Although I had to explain to her why it wouldn't have a cup holder, I still give her a listen!:lol:

So what if I'm 6 months late. I still can't believe the 150 or so "T"s that were all a different work of art, that showed up @the Nats. 07. How creative can all those people be, to have soooo many different ideas. Can't think of any other segment in the hobby that is so diversified, and proud of it. Witnessed alot of selflessness, and humility among BucketHeads. If you think about it, Special Cars = Special People.:D

Chrome isn't that hard to afford if you do the polishing yourself. That's what drives the cost up. $100 or so will get you enough supplies to polish a lot of stuff.

I'm a natural artist. My mom used to say, I was drawing before I could walk. Just a gift, I guess. I went to a couple art schools, but couldn't get my foot in the door to do it for a living. So, I did it for friends. Pictures and paintings, but mostly cartoons. While I was in the Navy, I made a cartoon series that was distributed throughout my ship, about our adventures on a Euro Cruise.

My girl asked me recently if I had been doing any artwork because I have not put pencil to paper in over a year. I told her it's a sculpture and I'm almost finished. :D

lanceks1 said:
A bunch of people told me that I would never be finished with the "T" sculpture.:D

I had a couple of those. Mainly a lady that works for a company accross from me. Now that it runs, she wants a ride. It'll never happen.

thomas said:
Sure it will.:D

:lol:Well, maybe a QUICK trip around the block during a throttle and brake check.;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back