Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

torque converter

most use a 2300 to 2500....3500 seems a bit much unless your
hitting the track with a big motor...

Never heard of them, but call them BEFORE you buy a converter. Stall speed varies depending on engine torque and car weight. So a 3500 stall converter might be 3500 on a 3600 LB Camaro with a SB Chevy with 400HP. On the same car with a 502 with 650HP it might stall close to 5000, and if had a 250 HP 327 it might only stall 2800.
A T Bucket is very light, so a 3500 stall converter on your average 3600 pound street car with 350HP may only stall 2500-2800 in a sub 2000 LB T Bucket with the same engine.
Call the manufacturer of your choice, give them the specs on the engine (especially the cam specs) the weight and aprox HP and they will get you what you need.
The one place where people screw up their combinations is in the cam/torque converter/rearend gear combo. Call the manufaturer, I am sure they will be more than glad to help you :lol:

Akitagrandy.......be weary of some of the so-called offbrand torque converters...........I've never heard of them but I don't deal with a lot of mild streetcars anymore........find some folks that run them and see if they're happy..........

I know some folks in the past said they'ers were great.......they were repackaged Vega units, repainted, with they're stickers on them........and they were a joke..........
Yes.......they'd stall on up there but after a few runs.......they looked like dogfood kibbles :eek: that you dropped into the water bowl...........all ballooned out...............buyer beware..........

Ron, I've seen posts on here before where a lot of guys like you are running high stalls like 3000 or 3500. That has always intrigued me. Don't you get a lot of slip when running around town if your rpms are under 3500? I don't mean this question to be critical, just honestly asking. Also, with more stall comes more heat, has that been any problem?

Don

Some observations from my personal experience...

I have a TCI converter that TCI rates as 3,000-3,400. They give a range because they say there are many variables that affect actual stall speed, the main ones being the weight of the car (resistance to acceleration) and engine torque in the stall range. A lighter car will have less resistance to acceleration and so the effective stall will be toward the lower end of the range. A higher torque motor will move the stall to the higher end of the range.

The highest RPM I have ever seen on mine during power-braking is about 2800... above that I can't hold it (torque overcomes the rear brakes). Stomping on the loud pedal while idling along at about 25 mph will give me a "flash" stall of about 3,000 before the tires break loose.

I have a transmission temperature gauge so I am able to see what is happening under various driving conditions. I also have a tube-and-fin cooler. Under normal cruise in typical summer weather the tranny temp stabilizes around 180. In city driving (stop and go) I have seen the tranny temp get up to about 210. I assume this due to the slippage in the converter as city RPMs seldom get above about 2500, plus the frequent idling at stop-lights in gear and accelerating away from stops.

Even with what most would consider a fairly high stall, I still have to keep a noticeable amount of pressure on the brake at stops (I idle at about 900 due to the blower and a lumpy cam).

Lee, you probably have a better converter than the one you are looking at. One way to raise the stall speed of any converter is to raise the power level of your engine.
Also, you can probably have TCI rebuild your converter to whatever spec you want.
By the way, I 'm still saving the Alternator for the next car I build:)

Lee_in_KC said:
Some observations from my personal experience...

I have a TCI converter that TCI rates as 3,000-3,400. They give a range because they say there are many variables that affect actual stall speed, the main ones being the weight of the car (resistance to acceleration) and engine torque in the stall range. A lighter car will have less resistance to acceleration and so the effective stall will be toward the lower end of the range. A higher torque motor will move the stall to the higher end of the range.

The highest RPM I have ever seen on mine during power-braking is about 2800... above that I can't hold it (torque overcomes the rear brakes). Stomping on the loud pedal while idling along at about 25 mph will give me a "flash" stall of about 3,000 before the tires break loose.

I have a transmission temperature gauge so I am able to see what is happening under various driving conditions. I also have a tube-and-fin cooler. Under normal cruise in typical summer weather the tranny temp stabilizes around 180. In city driving (stop and go) I have seen the tranny temp get up to about 210. I assume this due to the slippage in the converter as city RPMs seldom get above about 2500, plus the frequent idling at stop-lights in gear and accelerating away from stops.

Even with what most would consider a fairly high stall, I still have to keep a noticeable amount of pressure on the brake at stops (I idle at about 900 due to the blower and a lumpy cam).

What did I win?????? :toast::D I'll take door number 2. :hijacked:

So sorry, you're playing jeopardy.

[ame=[media=youtube]K_JIg9NB47M[/media] - Weird Al Yankovic - I Lost On Jeopardy[/ame]

(sorry for the hijack)

akitagandy said:
Has anyone ever heard of or use Continental Torque Converter Torque Converters , CTConverters.com Continental Torque Converters
and what do you think about a 3500 stall

I learnt a long time ago about torque converters, I always have mine custom built. They cost a little more but if the place that's building the converter knows what they're doing the converter will work more efficient

My truck I have an Edge torque converter, out of las vegas I think, its a pretty expensive $800, built to put behind a big block with a 300hp shot of nitrous,in a very heavy street truckn so its got the works in it, all bearings and anti-baloon plates and all that stuff... My T's converter was built by champ converters out of evansville IN., had the transmission and torque converter built local.. The champ converter cost near $400, plus I get free adjustments and checks and flush,s for as long as I own it..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back