Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Performance Frame

JetMech727, Yes that is it !, My tires are new, but I have not balanced them yet, need to get some chrome spoke weights, Also if I remove the friction shocks, I will still have the brackets on the axle.

If looks ( shock tabs) are more important than being able to drive comfortably & in control , I got nothing ! Are the wheels true ? Don't forget about the rears also !....

The front are true , and I have not balanced any wheels at this time, the car tracks great, it only has a problem when I am over 50 and NAIL it, then the right wheel starts to bounce , as soon as I let off the throdle it is great again, I think I just need to balance the wheels, and I was going to check the friction shocks today, but we had snow and a few trees in the driveway down, so I will check the friction shocks tomorrow.

The front are true , and I have not balanced any wheels at this time, the car tracks great, it only has a problem when I am over 50 and NAIL it, then the right wheel starts to bounce , as soon as I let off the throdle it is great again, I think I just need to balance the wheels, and I was going to check the friction shocks today, but we had snow and a few trees in the driveway down, so I will check the friction shocks tomorrow.

I would check the king pin bushings and rod ends on the drag link and tie rod. A wheel is balanced no matter how much weight is on it.

Torque reaction through the chassis unloading the FR wheel, perhaps!

All the rod ends and king pins are tight, I checked the torsion shock and looks good, does anyone know how tight the nut needs to be on the torsion shock ?

The friction discs that TP used were rubber , if they've aged ( as you'd expect) they may need replacement , speedway may have replacement friction discs . AFA how tight , start at 25 lbs ft. And go from there ..

I have friction shocks on my T and I replaced the rubber discs with some that I made from some clutch material that a friend gave me. He had a shop that rebuilt clutches. In all the years that I've been driving my car I've had no problems with my set up. My car rides and drives great.

Jim

I want to thank all for the info, but I would like to get back to shorting my wheel base, So could you tell me what your wheelbase is, and how your car handles ? Thanks, Brent

Get rid of the "friction "shocks.. Back in the day the first thing rodders did was put on "airplane" shocks

Mine is 97" the car is set up with correct Ackerman and does handle well but I would go about 102"-103" for overall better handling .

My wheelbase is 108" which is the same as most '32 highboys. The car weighs 1937 pounds with the rear being 50 pounds heavier than the front. The ride is firm but not harsh which I like as I like driving fast and hard having raced cars in the past. My car also sits low and I sit low inside which makes driving and cornering very secure.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back