Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TPI Tech Gauges

Thanks Fletch. The TPI speedo is electronic. It uses a pulse generator mounted in the trans. The current SW speedo is a mechanical one. If I hadn't already bought the TPI gauges, that would have been a a very good choice to source a right angle gear box such as as T Test suggested. Or go to a speedo shop as you suggested. Funny thing, I drove the thing for nearly 40 years with no working speedo. I just got used to it!
Thanks again for the suggestions.
That's the great thing about this site. There are so many members, if you have an issue or question, just throw it out there and someone will know something to get you going.

I have several old trucks that I use for specific things. Some have non working or inacurate speedos... I use the tachometer. I check em with gps on my phone and am usually close. Basically I maintain the flow of traffic. If I’m getting ran over, I speed up... if I’m passing everyone, I slow down... fool proof? Doubt it! Lol.

Ha ha. That seems to be the way to do it. That does work well as long as there is traffic. If you are on the road alone, well.............I do have a speed app on my cell phone.

I do have a speed app on my cell phone.

Might be a good way to get your measured mile. Maybe there is a app (program, as I call them) to do exactly that, measured distances.

That's an idea Gerry. I'll look into that. I first thought I would drive down one of the country roads with my daily driver and mark off 1 mile with some flags. Then take the Bucket there to calibrate the speedo. I need some spring weather. It's 27 degrees here today! Where the hell is spring?
Thanks,
Bill

Ha ha. That seems to be the way to do it. That does work well as long as there is traffic. If you are on the road alone, well.............I do have a speed app on my cell phone.
When I was diagnosed with C, I was in a mental fog so I bought a fiat spyder and restored it to occupy my mind. I got it pretty much done, easy restoration, but the speedo didn’t work. I ordered a new cable but just got used to it. The bad part is my vision has gotten to the point that I can’t make out the numbers on the small speedometers... especially if vibrating. My bike has a 0-160 mph and the numbers are too small, close together, and silver/white plus the bike is so smooth I catch myself exceeding often... by a lot, lol... oh well I’m not old enough to play the senility card yet. I did get pulled over for doing 64 in a 45 the other day... I was honest with the officer and told him I just pulled out and floored it to get out in front of and out of traffic and he let me go... suprised me. He was likely in shock from hearing the truth.

The bad part is my vision has gotten to the point that I can’t make out the numbers on the small speedometers... especially if vibrating.
You might check into SpeedHut, they can be configured in probably 20 different combinations. You can see the changes as you select different options. You can pick from from 0-20 mph up to 0-260 mph.

4" GPS Speedometer 120mph. Auto Clockwise Without Turn Signals From Speedhut.

Capture.JPG

From Their About Page:
There's no outsourcing of any gauges to contract manufacturers, and all assembly, calibration and final testing are done in-house. Each Revolution gauge is meticulously built at our production facility in northern Utah.

You might check into SpeedHut, they can be configured in probably 20 different combinations. You can see the changes as you select different options. You can pick from from 0-20 mph up to 0-260 mph.

4" GPS Speedometer 120mph. Auto Clockwise Without Turn Signals From Speedhut.

View attachment 15825

From Their About Page:
There's no outsourcing of any gauges to contract manufacturers, and all assembly, calibration and final testing are done in-house. Each Revolution gauge is meticulously built at our production facility in northern Utah.
I like them. I already bought a set for the bucket... sticker shock! I have expensive taste... those are very nice gauges.

I love mine, with the GPS, you can do 1/4 mile times and MPH, 0-60 MPH times, top speed since last reset ....etc.

Warranty is pretty good also......

Every Speedhut gauge and tachometer includes a Lifetime warranty on the electronic circuit board inside the gauge case. The electronic circuit board is the most critical component of each Speedhut gauge. It communicates with the gauge sensor and gives the gauge the high accuracy/performance you've come to expect from a Speedhut gauge. This component is covered with a LIFETIME warranty.

All other parts of a Speedhut gauge (including sensor and wiring) are covered with an unlimited 5-year warranty. This LIFETIME/5-YEAR warranty also covers every Speedhut gauge purchased since Jan 1, 2006 to the original purchaser of the Speedhut gauge.

It's amazing the strides they have made in the electronic world in the last few years. Fletch, you're a lucky guy to talk yourself out of that one! Don't push your luck.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back