Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tranny cooling question

Johnny

I am going to go with a finned dual pass cooler. My question is what would be a good length that would work for these cars? I am thinking these cars are not that heavy so I believe I wouldn't need a real long cooler. Also, should it be mounted to the frame or would it be alright to mount to floor of body?

Thanks guys

I am going to go with a finned dual pass cooler. My question is what would be a good length that would work for these cars? I am thinking these cars are not that heavy so I believe I wouldn't need a real long cooler. Also, should it be mounted to the frame or would it be alright to mount to floor of body?

Thanks guys
Here is how i mounted mine.Ted says you dont need one but i put one in just in case.

50FORDBATTTERYBOXLarge.jpg

Mine is mounted much the same only different cooler and different side.

IMG_0652.jpg

Jim

Mine was like Ex junks mounted to floor.

Well, maybe Ted doesn't need one, but here in Texas, I think I will use one.

Thanks for the pics.

Anywhere that gets a little air flow across it is my thought. I've usually run them on the chassis rail with the non hose end slightly lower than the other,to get air across the whole cooler.

Just reading up on installing cooling lines and I read something about NPSM fittings for the tranny. It said to use these so the case wouldn't crack. I guess this is different from regular pipe threads? What size are these fittings? What size hose should be used and does it have to be high pressure hose and fittings? Steel braided?

Can y'all help a guy out?

Thanks

Find out what fittings your tranny uses. My neighbor owns a Mercedes repair shop here in St. Louis. I asked him about what to use for tranny oil cooler lines..his answer...standard fuel line. That's what Mercedes uses on their cars. The tranny oil is not under high pressure as it goes to/from the cooler.

Not too sure about the fuel line hose, as fuel doesn't run at 180+ degrees. A good hose shop should point you in the right direction such as Orme Brothers in Ca.
Correct about the relatively low pressure as most aftermarket coolers come with hose barbs and clamps. Braided hose an AN fittings look smart, but are overkill really .

Goodyear Fuel Line is rated for -40F to +257F, 50 psi service. My next door neighbor, who repairs Mercedes autos for a living, told me it's better than the hose sold as "Transmission Cooler Line". I trust his advice.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back