Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tranny...../ Tach

HAceT

Ok...since day 1 of the car I noted that the car sounded like it was screaming sometimes. I installed a Tach and noted that at 60mph I'm Taching 3000 RPM. Well it made no sense to me since the rear is supposedly a 3.42. Then today I was clocked by a friend with the local PD and found that I was not doing 60. So I got to 60mph and noted that I am Taching 4000 RPM. I felt like something was wrong but couldn't place my finger on it. I really never paid attention to the shifting of the car since she REALLY would move and it dawned on me....I believe I've been running all over in 2nd. So I started at a dead stop and felt the shift from 1st to 2nd but no real shift to 3rd. Well tomorrow I'll put the car on the lift and unhook the linkage and place it in drive and try that. If that works then I need to readjust the shifter linkage again. ........Man I can't believe that I have been running around in 2nd for over 3000 miles and especially to the Nats.:eek:......Well atleast I can say my motor holds up well.:lol:

surprised the trans didn't overheat.

Man thats lucky to catch it before anything bad happened.

:zingy:Ace you should get a trophy for longest drive to an event in the wrong gear.:) Mabye next year they will make it retroactive.:win::win:

rooster57 said:
:zingy:Ace you should get a trophy for longest drive to an event in the wrong gear.:) Mabye next year they will make it retroactive.:win::win:

Hey Rooster.....we gonna vote you in for the judge!!!!!!:win::lol::lol:

My second to third gear shift is imperceptible too, so to find out if it was really going into 3rd I dropped the shifter down into 2nd, and noticed it did shift down. Then I shifted back to 3rd and felt it shift. Something else you might do is manually hold it in 1st for a while, then shift to 2nd, and hold that for a while, then go to 3rd and see if it shifts.

Don

Hello HAceT, You're not the first to do it, and definitely won't be the last. Everybody keeps telling me to put a regular auto trans in mine, I have a full race TH350 with reverse manual valve body, and this is why I will put up with having to shift it all the time, I have had the same problem as you with a couple of previous cars and with this set up it does not rely on any vacuum, sensors or modulators to shift, and you can definitely tell when it shifts. Good luck on getting it straightened out and hopefully it's only shifter adjustment and not something internal. By the way I just noticed that you are from NC too, where is Franklinton? Eddie :cool:

I'd think you were lucky the motor did over heat too! I want to take a longer shake down on mine too, what evening this week are you going to be at Tom's?

My speedo is off to, but I have a electronic set up. When my speedo says 60 my GPS said 45. Un like the newer electronic speedo's, mine is not the kind you can set the calibration.

Did Tom ever get his Dolphin Speedo to work?

:spank:Ace i think i got you beat though . When i was 19 i had my Nova at the council road dragstrip in Okla city . I had just just replaced my BW tranny with a muncie 220 with a new hurst comp plus shifter . When i staged i nurviously moved the shifter from first to neutral the back to first. yep you guesses it it wasnt first it was reverse.:shoot: Well lucky no one was directly behind me i still get embassised to this day thinkin about the look on the guys face staging us.:zingy:

FastEddie59 said:
Hello HAceT, You're not the first to do it, and definitely won't be the last. Everybody keeps telling me to put a regular auto trans in mine, I have a full race TH350 with reverse manual valve body, and this is why I will put up with having to shift it all the time, I have had the same problem as you with a couple of previous cars and with this set up it does not rely on any vacuum, sensors or modulators to shift, and you can definitely tell when it shifts. Good luck on getting it straightened out and hopefully it's only shifter adjustment and not something internal. By the way I just noticed that you are from NC too, where is Franklinton? Eddie :cool:

Just North of Raleigh. Yeah I might see about a manual shift kit. My dad has a powerglide that has the reversed manual body in it but didn't use it in the T. I have the ratchet shifter and I tried the shift into 1,2,3 but it doesn't doit so it tells me that it is in the linkage....I hope....

I did my math to figure this out......My tire size is 26", Gear 3.42, Taching 4000 with 1.00-1 3rd gear TH350 should put me at just over 92mph....and by inserting my 2nd gear ratio of 1.52-1 it puts me just over 59mph. That confirms my theroy that I've been riding in 2nd for over 3000 miles at high and low speed for long distance at times. I bet I'll get better gas mileage and cooler temps after the fix.

Rooster that is funny.....Yeah maybe I should get something for the drive but I can say one thing for sure.....I built one heck of a strong motor to do all that and still spank a porshe's tail on US1 Hwy last week. That may explain why when I would do about 80 by my speedo (which is 60) my temp would get to 220. Owell what can I say but OOOOPS

I was gona say one hell of a well built motor and cudos on the porshe spankin. I would have like to have been shotgun and high five where he could see it when you taught him a lesson . SweeeeeeeT

Kat didn't think it was funny at first when I spanked the car...All she could do was look straight ahead...but when I told her yesterday we have been riding in 2nd she said she'd hate to see what would of happened in 3rd.

P.S. if you ever need to figure the MPH thing you can find it online somewhere or just remember (RPM x Tire Dia) / (Rear Gear x Tranns Ratio x 336) = MPH

Mine was (4000 x 26) / (3.42 x 1.00 x 336) = 90.5mph in 3rd gear........(4000 x 26) / (3.42 x 1.52 x 336) = 59.5mph in 2nd gear. Hope this helps out so they don't make the same mistake I did.

Man I feel much better but slightly stupid too....:eek: I ran some additional test and found the car was shifting into 3rd but so smooth you couldn't feel it. I did some minor adjustments and it feels better....Now for the Tach.....the tach had a wire inside that had some how been cut so it read as a 6 cyl not a 8. I had to find that by hooking up another Tach. Apparently when I bought the Tach from Advance Auto someone had tried it first or played with it and then put it back in the box for my dumb a$$ to buy. It seems though my math was correct cause before I fixed it I figured I'd have to be taching somewhere around 2700rpm to be at 60mph. When I fixed the tach and was clocked by friends in blue I was at 60........Man I feel dumb. but I still spanked the porshe.:lol:

If everything went perfect we would have any stories to tell. And laugh with each other and at each other.Your right about the returned merchindise. if their were 25 widgits on the shelf and one was returned and was missing its bracket i would pick that one. Its the murphys law deal i think.

Hello HAceT, Glad to hear you got it figured out. Don't feel bad about getting the one part that had been messed with, I've had it happen so many times that I just about expect it and and have learned to look at the packaging real hard before leaving the store. High fives on spankin' the Porsche, those arrogant goobs need an attitude adjustment every chance you get. Thanks for the clarification on where you're located, most of my dad's side of the family doesn't live real far from you, around the Mount Airy area. I'm on the western side of Asheville. By the way have you done the math on how fast you were actually going when you smoked the Porsche? Since you spanked the Porsche recently I have a riddle for you. What's the difference between a Porsche and a cactus? Give up? A Porsche has the pricks on the inside! Sorry my bad, LOL, Eddie :lol:

FastEddie59 said:
A Porsche has the pricks on the inside! Sorry my bad, LOL, Eddie :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I really didn't pay attention to the gauges when I passed him but Kat said the speedo said over 130mph and with the speedo off alittle I believe somewhere between 115-120+

I will bet at 120 mph the side of you ride looked like a straight flush!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back