Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

V6 advice

I'm using a GM 3.1 60 degree V6 with TBI. I chose this engine due to its compact design and availability of aftermarket parts. I decided to stay with the electronic fuel injection for fuel ecomomy and drivability.

But does electronic fuel injection really give you better fuel economy then a 4 barrel carb and the right cam?

I live at 5,000+ ft in altitude and will sometimes be driving at 10,000+ ft and also sometimes lower than 3,000 ft and I wanted good drivability at all altitudes and did not want to mess with changing jets for different altitudes so I'm going with fuel injection. I'm pretty sure that overall, fuel injection would give better fuel economy than any carb and cam combination.

Being you want to stay with the efi, you can go with reg. manifold, put a efi throttlebody up there just for looks, and a dist. that'll work with it. Theres several kits avail. Holley, Accel, Edelbrock, just to mention a few. You can go as wild as you want.
Just got thru putting efi on a 572 chevy with a tunnelram. Healthy cam, big tube headers, idles really well all thanks to the efi. Throttle response is instant. kit with 2 throttlebodys. Can set it up with a laptop and about 30 minutes....no changing jets, pv's, etc....

Well, hopefully you've made up your mind. If you got the V6 free along withe the trans and a rear like in, say, a S-10, You could use it. However, parts for the V6 are more expensive, performance is OK, not outstanding.
You can get a 305 to a 350 dirt cheap, the parts are alot cheaper than the V6, and in some cases, alot more durable. I have some Nascar V6 stuff come thru my shop, and they have the power, but the money they spend to get there is now cheap.
For the money spent on a hot V6, you can have a kick ass SB V8. Thats just the facts.
Hell, the 305's can get up to about 375 to 390 horses pretty cheap, and fairly easily for less than the V6.
Theres alot of classes in the Dirt cars that run the 305's, both body'ed and open wheeled on the short track, on the longer tracks, run bigger motors.
Just a little food for thought....but you must be happy. If you want a V6, do a V6. Its a good motor for what its designed for. Alot of people won't run and don't run it because of the way it sounds....compared to a V8.
When they're turning less than 3800 rpm, sounds like a V6. Mufflers, headers and pipes won't disguise it, anyway shape form or fashion. After about 65oo....they all sound sweet, at 8000+ its all a song to me.

But does electronic fuel injection really give you better fuel economy then a 4 barrel carb and the right cam?

Been looking around the net and think this quote answers my question.

Hello... Detroit did not put EFI on cars and trucks to improve mileage or any thing to help you, it was done only to be in compliance with EPA. Sort this out as we delve further into this subject. Back to the 64 1/2 mustang that came with a 260 cu inch motor 3spd and 3.00 8 inch rear and 24 inch tires weighed right 3k lbs got 27 mpg at 65-70 mph. today we have an Exploder with a fancy ass SOHC 4.0 with a 5sp pos aod tranny and weighs 3200 lbs get 20 mpg at the same fREEEEEEEEKING highway speeds !! What progress have we made in 40 FREEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKIIIIINNNNGGGGGG years?????
icon_topicsucks.gif
icon_topicsucks.gif
icon_topicsucks.gif

Apparently the only one who can answer my question is me and I'm voting for carbs, preferably three deuces and progressive linkage if I go with a V8.

As far as EFI vs Carb, to each their own. Carbs are for sure far simpler to install, but the drawback is that if you jet your carb for 2500 ft, then drive to sea level, you will be running extremely lean and if you drive up to the mountains, it will be extremely rich. A few years ago I took my carbed Harley up across Trail Ridge Road here in Colorado and stopped at the summit of 12,000 + feet and almost could not get it to refire and my buddies EFI Harley fired right up. Since I intend to spend a great deal of my driving in the mountains, I'm choosing EFI. That quote "Detroit did not put EFI on cars and trucks to improve mileage or any thing to help you", with great emphasis on the "anything to help you" part. The last time I checked, we all need to breathe. Can you imagine what our enviroment might be like if we had not started EPA compliance in the 1970's?

Hey, EFI does improve your Fuel milage, it only puts in whats needed after correctly setting it up, no more and no less. Floats leak, power valves need changing, with EFI, once set, unless theres component failure.
I like the 3 dueces and stuff also....I prefer to run it like that, but the efi's are so effecient now, for milage, its the only way to go...

If he wants to cruise and putt around with a V6, more power to him. I was saying its CHEAPER to run a SB V8, EVEN if he wanted to hop it up some....

Back in 64', fuel was alot better, a new fresh motor the 3 speed was exactly what the lite little ponycar needed and wanted with the highway gears.

They can get the milage, they just don't want to. I got 20 mpg with my 1 Ton Dodge, I rigged up a small inexpensive propane system, I'm now getting 26 mpg with just that mod. 30# propane tank lasts me about 1000 miles. If I run WMO at a 10% ratio, in the diesel, I get about 27 1/2 to 28....

-today we have an Exploder with a fancy ass SOHC 4.0 with a 5sp aod tranny and weighs 3200 lbs get 20 mpg at the same fREEEEEEEEKING highway speeds !!- That Explorer has a big honking emission system, fuel is crap, motor oils sucks as far a lubracity is concerned, small motor with low compression, has air conditioning with power this and that, wind resistance is high, sits up high in the air compared to the mustang.

When fuel gets to about 5.50 + a gallon, you'll see folks start leaning out those EFI's and doing stuff to their motors....and 30 mpg will be do-able.
No matter what your fuel milage, fuel will just go up in price. If everyone gets 5o mpg....gas will just go up to fit that....

At altitudes, the EFI's are the way to go.... it can automatically compensate seemlessly.

Just wondered if a TH 350 will bolt right up to a 4.3L?

I'm still trying to decide weather to rebuild my 283, or look for a dirt cheap 350 that runs good, or go 4.3. My TH350 was just rebuilt so I want to use it.

Yes the th350 will bolt right up to the 4.3 but having used a 4.3 I wouldn't do it again. Headers have to be custom made and resale ain't so good. Unless you intend to keep this car a long time use a v8.

Just wondered if a TH 350 will bolt right up to a 4.3L?

I'm still trying to decide weather to rebuild my 283, or look for a dirt cheap 350 that runs good, or go 4.3. My TH350 was just rebuilt so I want to use it.
Not sure what year your 283 is ,watch out as some years bolted the starter on the trans rather than the motor.The turbo has no provision for a mounted starter.I've been there.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back