Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Vega or corvair

fletcherson

I need some wisdom related to steering box selection. I have a gemmer box that was set up mid cab and I hated it. I was able to relocate it and make it work, but it crowds a already tight area and it doesn't allow me to use a actual column, just a shaft and I want to modify a Cadillac tilt, telescope column that I have and want to use the electronic controls afforded by it. My dilemma is between the vega or reversed corvair box. I have a bbc, so the corvair is tight, so I was thinking about using the vega box under the frame. I have no experience with either box and would appreciate any feedback related to them and how they handle, etc...I need to get moving on this thing and these decisions are really holding me up. It is drag link not cross steer and I want to retain that to retain the look.

Here is how we mount a Vega box, it goes under the frame. With a v-8 Chevy it will go between the engine mount and the oil filter. I have the mounts, steering box and pitman arm all in stock.
Vegamount.jpg

For what it's worth, I mounted a Vega box in a under my frame pretty much like Ron shows. I used a longer pitman arm, though. It works very good. No reversing required.

The ratty looking drag link in this pic was for mock up.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back