Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Want to Tango

interesting,My class is converting a ford ranger to all electric. it is very easy to do.on average it should top out at 50 mph and get a 50 mile range. good enough for a commuting truck. i would like to next year build a electric t bucket with a closed "engine bay" of course.

I love the thought of commuting electrically.
The downfall for me is I need to go 100 miles round trip daily with an 8 to 10 hour charge time. Solar daytime parking lot charging would also be a bonus. It should in my world be able to run 50 to 70 mph , which is where it would spend most of its time. This thing would take care of my needs from april till november..

What happened to the volt the earlier model looked awesome this looks like every other car?

Must have been too sporty. At least it still looks better than a Prius.

Years ago there was an article in Mech. Ill. or Pop. Mech. on building an electric T. The chassis was basicly the same as the Vrod that was in R&C. I have looked everywhere for a copy of the article but haven't found it yet. Dose anyone remember or (gasp) have a copy of it?

Ron

The all electric car is the future. Just a matter of working through the storage capacity problems. Used to be an all electric english two seater called the Tesla that was kind of cool looking. Dont know if that one panned out or not.

There was a cool segment on "My Classic Car" about a Detroit Electric from the teens in Jay Leno's collection. Seems you could put quite a few miles on between charges. The cars look like someone put a T coupe turtle deck on both ends of the cab.

Ron

crossingts said:
interesting,My class is converting a ford ranger to all electric. it is very easy to do.on average it should top out at 50 mph and get a 50 mile range. good enough for a commuting truck. i would like to next year build a electric t bucket with a closed "engine bay" of course.

When I went to auto mechanic school (30+ years ago), I took a class in alternative fuels called "alcohol fuel production". We built a still, brewed and distilled our own alcohol (right inside the school!), and worked on mixtures and fuel delivery systems to make it work in cars. We found that even though we brewed 160-170 proof hooch, 90-100 proof ran much better. We finally got it dialed in on a 1965 Pontiac GTO. Just for fun we put a little over half a tank of 160 proof in the Goat, and nursed it across the street to a gas station. We asked the old guy who ran the place where the water hose was. He showed us, and we put it in the gas tank filler and turned it on till the tank was full. Then we started the engine and drove away. The look on his face was priceless.

I'd love to have an all electric commuter car, or even better yet, a MDI AirCar that runs on compressed air.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back