Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welder choice - would like some input.

Keeper

Okay I am about to purchase a good welder and really only want to do it once. So I am looking for some input.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Lincoln 180c or Hobart Handler 210.

180 Pros - great running gear, infinite power control, slightly less money, made in Canada so parts are easy to get (and everyone seems to push them up here)

210 Pros - well more power for not much more money.

So lets hear what you think.

I have a 185 Hoart and it will do everything i ask it to. However the larger 210 will give you more performance. If the Extra money isn't a problem then it would be my choice.

Ron

I have a 211 Miller, and love it.

I have a Lincoln WeldPac 155 I bought about 15 years ago that does me fine. I've been using it for the last two days on a project I'm working on without a hitch.

The 210 has a higher duty cycle. Not that you'll ever need it, but that USUALLY means that the parts are built heavier. If nothing ese, the internal cooling will be better to allow for the increased duty cycle.

Based on that alone, I would go with the 210. Also, you can always dial a bigger machine down to weld thin material, but you may not be able to weld thicker plate with the smaller unit.

Mike

I have the Lincoln 180 and it works great. Very happy with it. Get yourself a little welding cart for it, makes it a lot nicer. You can find some reasonable carts at Harbor Freight and Other places.

After you get a welder, a cart should be your first project. :welcome:

I have a Lincoln SP350 and an ole Lincoln 225

Go for the 210 is you can swing it. Had a Hobart 175 and it was ok, but when we traded it in for a Miller 252, we realized that it was night and day a different animal...If you figure this is the last welder that you buy, buy as much as you can.

I wimped out and bought my welding cart, but I made a welding table.

I'm not 100% sure what you'll be using it for, but I would choose the biggest machine you think you'll ever need, and then buy the next bigger model!

About 14 years ago, I bought the Hobart Beta-Mig 250. Been super happy with it. The only trouble I had was I burned up the 250 amp torch/gun it came with. So I replaced it with a 350 amp torch, and have had absolutely no problems with it since. The Hobarts are great machines.

Do you need to buy it new? The higher end machines can typically be had for less than a smaller new one. You end up with more machine for less money. If you buy Hobart, ESAB, Miller, or Lincoln, and chose a larger more commercial model, they should be a pretty safe bet.

For example, I just purchased an ESAB PCM-875 plasma cutter for $450. It works beautifully! I was inspired to go with the ESAB because a friend of mine loaned me his PCM-1125 and I just loved it. The machine I just bought originally sold new for over $2,000. 100% duty cycle on 3/4" carbon steel. Clean cuts 7/8" thick carbon steel, severs up to 1 1/8". I took the chance because it was a super high quality machine to begin with. And it paid off. ;)

Just my two cents.

David

What size power (amps) do you have available? Just nice for you to know up front if you will need to do some rewireing. Yep. Love my miller but she do suck up the power. more than I originally had available if you know what I mean. :cool:

Keeper,

Either machine will serve you well. I seem to remember that Holbart is now owned by Miller so that's good. The advise of buy bigger is always good advise. Like horsepower, you don't have to use it but it's nice to have it when needed. I have had Millers, Lincolns and one Holbart and they all were great machines. I currently have two old 300 Amp Lincoln Tig machines. One is a 1967 model and the other is a '72 model. Both old and like fine wine, they just get better. They both will still weld aluminum beer cans together although there's not much call for that these days. Holbarts are now sold though Tractor Supply, Sears and I think Northern Tool. Also available though welding dealers and on line sources. Good luck!

George

fluidfloyd said:
I currently have two old 300 Amp Lincoln Tig machines. One is a 1967 model and the other is a '72 model. Both old and like fine wine, they just get better.

George

Hey George, I think that's the machine I run too. It's an older Lincoln Idealarc Tig-300/300. I cut my teeth on this machine when I worked for Jim Kirby at Challenger Equipment. We used to call it the "Big Gray Box."

About 20 years ago, I found one at an auction in Oakland California. It came out of a Vo-Tech school, and the machine had the crap beat out of it everyday of it's life. In spite of it's miss-use, the machine runs perfectly. They just don't build them like that anymore. ;)

Here's a crappy picture of it:

welders.jpg

Keeper said:
wow that thing is massive!

Your right about that! All of my friends that weld, roll their eyes and shake their heads when they see my machine. They think I'm a dinosaur. I'm not even that old! Well, I'm getting up there I guess.

I admit, the newer inverter technology welders are super nice. And portable! :ciao: I hope to own one of the newer ones someday. :cool: It's just so hard to stop using something that works so beautifully.

Take care,

David

I have an old lincoln sp 200 wire feed. about the size of a clothes dryer and is so heavy we had to move it with the backhoe when we were welding up the new city required 6 ft sight obsecuring chain link fence.... the old farm house and shop was annexed into a light industrial zone. I got a stick -tig welder when the college shut down their welding program. Hand crank for amperage control...The tig doesn't have a foot control for amperage ....not good for thin stuff. It has a remote plug for High frequency but when when I take my foot off the hi freq the tig arc doesn't stop. Time for a new dedicaated tig. I have a trailer mounted lincoln gasoline powered rig but It needs a good rebuild. The guy I bought it from came back a couple times to borrow it . liked it better than the rental oones

Keeper said:
Okay I am about to purchase a good welder and really only want to do it once. So I am looking for some input.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Lincoln 180c or Hobart Handler 210.

180 Pros - great running gear, infinite power control, slightly less money, made in Canada so parts are easy to get (and everyone seems to push them up here)

210 Pros - well more power for not much more money.

So lets hear what you think.

Just speaking from experience, check out the Miller line. I know there is a reason that there is chocolate and vanilla, but Miller stuff is bullet proof. At least all of mine has been.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back