Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welding Skills

I've been collecting what I think are the worst fab/weld pictures on the web for years. Here are just a few of my favorites, Some of them can be found in the link above:

This guy didn't like the characteristics of his turbo, so he thought he would choke it down a bit. Wrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ BOOOOOOM!!!!!:
turb.jpg

This must be the manifold built for it:
turb2.jpg

Here's a down pipe that would work:
muf2.jpg

And a fitting top hat:
mufair.jpg

How about a super strong tie rod to finish the job:
scarytierod.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

All these pictures came from different sources. I just thought they were good together. ;)

David

Oh my...
I may not be the best in the world but I do understand my limitations... lolololo....................

I've had a few over the years that resembled some of those. I'm glad they weren't available for posting.

I also have seen many a disaster lookin job, but it worked just fine, just needed to be hid.. hehe a lot of farmers did some waaay out stuff, but it mostly all worked fine... do with what you have to work with, when all else fails... punt... :)

I actually have one example of welding in my life that looks pretty bad. I don't have a picture of it (thank God!).

A friend of mine asked if I could help him fix a trailer hitch he had on his truck. He just bought a little mig welder and said I could just come by and use his. He was excited because he felt he would learn something in the process. So I show up to help him only to find out he had no welding helmet! :eek: I didn't bring my own like and idiot.

Because he lived a fair distance from me (out in the sticks!) and needed the job done, I just did it without a helmet. I would position the mig torch, close my eyes, pull the trigger and hope for the best. I effectively created a lot of short little stitch welds until the job was done. I could tell it would be strong enough, but it didn't look very good.

I'm sure some of you have done similar things.

David

not that i will admit too david......

Ron

That looks like the DR Kavorkian tie rod end.

Youngster; not that i will admit too david......

As my late Dad told me when I left home for the Army, "Don't ever admit to anything, even if they saw you do it." After self applied welding lessons I decided to go to welding school. Smart move on my part.

George

I have also had some fabrication jobs that looked close to those shown. Growing up in the 50's -60's out in the country with a hack saw, Axe and a Lincoln welder...Trying to build a cut down car was a real project.
With a stack of "Hot Rod" Magazines (mom bought me a sub) I had all kids of ideas, but nothin to really work with....cept old car parts from the neighbors property.
So I used what I had and what I could scrounge, no tube benders or nice clean metal to work with, and being 14 years old, no money to buy it, let alone driving 40 miles to get it.
I still recall the time I was mowing the weeds and happened to chop off the outside water faucet with the mower. There I was with a 1/2" pipe stickin out of the ground bubbling water out and not smart enough to drive a wooden plug in it ( no shut off valve) until Dad got home....
That was the first time I attempted underwater welding with a Lincoln 225 AC welder.....Yup, I almost got the pipe sealed off, made a really nice sprinkler head.
Luckly my Neighbor came along and asked what I was doin with the welder in the side yard??? ( He was a welder by trade...) We were able to cut off the pipe, rethread it and put a cap on it before Dad came home..
:lol: "BH"

RexRod said:
I've been collecting what I think are the worst fab/weld pictures on the web for years. Here are just a few of my favorites, Some of them can be found in the link above:

This guy didn't like the characteristics of his turbo, so he thought he would choke it down a bit. Wrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ BOOOOOOM!!!!!:
turb.jpg

This must be the manifold built for it:
turb2.jpg

Here's a down pipe that would work:
muf2.jpg

And a fitting top hat:
mufair.jpg

scarytierod.jpg

All these pictures came from different sources. I just thought they were good together. ;)

David

RexRod.......you are kidding me, Right???? These are just jokes.......please tell me your kidding........dawm.....THESE ARE UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

RexRod said:

scarytierod.jpg

David

I just wanna know where I can get one of these... I called Speedway and they dont have them.

at least the tie rod was still adjustable...the one that came with a friends A was galv.pipe with the tie rod ends wielded to it. who ever did it must have seen that pic cause it had the same kind of gussets.

Ron

Youngster said:
at least the tie rod was still adjustable...the one that came with a friends A was galv.pipe with the tie rod ends wielded to it. who ever did it must have seen that pic cause it had the same kind of gussets.

Ron

Thats the Chester design, isn't it?

Screamin said:
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/davbraley/Off%20Topic/muf2.jpg[/IMG]

The reason is, if you look closely, you will see there is almost NO filler material in his welds. It's held together (well, that's debatable) with almost pure splatter! :eek: If you took a chipping/splatter hammer to it, it would probably fall apart.

David

I sent that web link to a friend and this was his response...:lol:
"I love seeing genius at work. That is why I pay for someone to do that stuff. It is always better to appear stupid than do something like and leave proof that you are stupid."

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back