Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What differential are you using? Open, LSD, or a Locker?

I'm using a Chevy 10-bolt open diff with 3.08 gears. It was the stock rear axle from a Camaro donor car and cost me nothing. It works well for my purposes, which are cruising and occasional full throttle romps. One-wheel burnouts are NOT my thing.

Attachments

• Body on frame.jpg
    Body on frame.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 5
  • first cruise-in.jpg
    first cruise-in.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 5
Ford 9" Traction-Lok with 3.55 gear ratio.
With 31" rear tires and a .67 overdrive I'm turning 1900 rpm at 70 mph.

TireSize_RPM-Calcs01-1.jpg
TireSize_RPM-Calcs01-2.jpg

Attachments

• TireSize_RPM CalcsForIndividual.xlsx
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Indycars....does the traction lock make a lot of clicking noises when you turn? I just bought a Ford 9" 4:11 traction lock carrier. The guy told me it was pretty noisy when turning. Curious to know how you like it.

Diff_4.jpgDiff_2.jpg

Indycars....does the traction lock make a lot of clicking noises when you turn?
No, I've never heard any noises coming the rear end.

The only trouble I've noticed was usually on the highway and entering long sweeping turn the car would shift when the clutches finally started slipping. I doubt anyone else would notice, it was very slight. The fluid had never been changed since 1979, so I changed out the fluid and added two bottle of friction modifier. This fixed the problem completely.

No, I've never heard any noises coming the rear end.

The only trouble I've noticed was usually on the highway and entering long sweeping turn the car would shift when the clutches finally started slipping. I doubt anyone else would notice, it was very slight. The fluid had never been changed since 1979, so I changed out the fluid and added two bottle of friction modifier. This fixed the problem completely.

Friction modifier really does make a difference.

Recent lurker. First post:

A Trac-Loc isn't a "Locker" like a Detroit Locker is. The Trac-Loc is a typical Clutch-Type LSD.

A "locker" like the Detroit Locker is a "ratcheting" diff, which would likely make clicking noise on turn. I honestly do not recommend this one for a T. It will be happiest going straight or sideways; they are good for dirt, drift, or drag.

My all-time favourite is a helical "torsen" (torque-sensing) differential. These use a crazy arrangement of gears (no clutches!) that work absolutely seamlessly. They don't like one wheel off the ground - they will act as an open diff if they do. I have a torsen-style "Detroit True-Trac" in a turbocharged-LS '61 Chevy pickup, and had one in a V8 Chevy Sprint (Pontiac Firefly up here in Canada). They are very nice and very forgiving.

Clutch-style like the Trac-Loc would be a good second, as would an Auburn "cone-style" LSD. Avoid a Locker on such a light and small-tire'd front end.

I am running a ford explorer 8.8 dif with 3:73 gears and trac loc.. Not running yet but soon

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back