Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What kind of a rear end is this?

I will need a little more info, for my guess. How about a picture from the other side.

Elementary, my dear Watson. It's a Currie. I deduced that by the sticker on it. And this pic from the Currie website:
Crate_Default_Complete3rdMember.jpg

...not identical, but I bet if you send them a pic of yours they can ID it.

It appears to be a 9" Ford. Currie builds a smooth back 9" housing, just like the first generation nines. That looks like what you have.

It could be an 8". The easiest way to tell is look at the bolts that hold the third member (chunk, pumpkin) in. If you can get a socket on the lower bolts, it's a 9". If you need an end wrench to get the lower bolts off, it'd an 8".

I have 3ea 8" rear ends and can use sockets on all of the bolts. Also the hood over the drive flange is not removable on my rear ends. They all take an oval type gasket. Some take a round gasket. Maybe they are the ones that need an end wrench.
Lee

It looks like a 9" to me . That pinion support is one of the more desirable ones as they are a little thicker than others. Just helps a little if you're running decent HP and sticky tires, as the pinion support is the first weak link.

Yea, I got yt
I have 3ea 8" rear ends and can use sockets on all of the bolts. Also the hood over the drive flange is not removable on my rear ends. They all take an oval type gasket. Some take a round gasket. Maybe they are the ones that need an end wrench.
Lee

Yep, your right. I got it backwards. The nines have to have the wrench. The eights can take a socket.

Must be old age creeping in.

I have seen 3 or 4 8" rear ends that are different from each other on the rear side. One with no filler, one with filler on right, one with filler on left.
I know what you mean HR46. Happens to me all the time.
Lee

Thanks for all the help. I am pretty well satisfied that it is a Ford 8 inch with a Curry housing.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back