Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What's your choice?

I've been looking at TP Basic kit which I really like, but it looks like you get more for the buck with Spirit. What do the rest of you think about the choices?:think:

thomas

I was looking at K&S CUSTOMS today, liked that stretch body and the construction seemed to be pretty impressive. Waiting to see what they have to offer for a rolling chassis.

thomas:razz:

That rolling chassis looks like a really good deal for the money.They claim there body is heavier than others also. Been trying to get a quote from them. Haven't recieved nothing yetl:butt:

thomas:rofl:

I saw a Spirit setup at a car show here and it looked real good, but the Total setup looked even better. I got the Total frame and was impressed by the quality of the welds. Like they say in their ads, they have been in business for over 35 years and they have been doing mostly T's. They seem to have a lot of the usual bugs worked out.

My rolling chassis is basicly done and looks freaking awesome! As for powder coating? I did and now it looks too good to cover! It will last longer than paint. It will be a little more tolerant off chips (I accidently dropped a hammer on my axcle and you can't even tell!).

Another issue I have heard is that Spirit does not have an instruction manual, but they say they are working on getting it out. The one on their site is basic to say the least. Their kit also uses a S-10 rear end instead of an 8" Ford.

You can get Totals now and study it to see what's involved and plan your build. It has all the part #s for every step of the build. I was building mine a piece at a time and found this helpful.

I ended up purchasing a Spirit kit with a Ford 8.8 rearend. I'll keep you all informed on my likes or dislikes.

thomas:D

thomas said:
I ended up purchasing a Spirit kit with a Ford 8.8 rearend. I'll keep you all informed on my likes or dislikes.

I couldn't afford Totals 8" rearend set up and the few I found around here were kinda high. I went with a S-10 after I read that the deminsions were about the same. Plus, they were everywhere around here and I got one for $200 complete. I had to do a few mods to use Totals radius rod, shock and Watts linkage brackets.

I have heard that the Ford 8" will take more abuse than the S-10, if you're the type that likes to put your foot in it.

this discussion belings in drivetrain...

the 8" to 10 bold durability comparison depends on the 10 bolt(theres a few kinds out there) and how each are built.

and is it just me or are you mistaking the 8" for 8.8" or vise versa...

Nailbomb said:
this discussion belings in drivetrain...

the 8" to 10 bold durability comparison depends on the 10 bolt(theres a few kinds out there) and how each are built.

and is it just me or are you mistaking the 8" for 8.8" or vise versa...

Nailbomb, I must be honest with you, I do not know the difference between a 8" and a 8.8" rearend. I believe I chose that 8.8 over the 10 bolt because you recommened it. I've also heard from others that it is a good rearend. I must tell you that it's guys like you, Mike, Fred and Rick that are going to be my teachers. I no nothing except how to fish.:eek:

I think if I were building a heavy car that would have the ability to really plant the tires, then I would shy away from the S-10 rear.

With the power to weight ratio of a T-Bucket, the S-10 rear should provide good service.

Thomas those numbers are referring to the diameter of the ring gear in the rear end. 8", 8.8", etc. Offhand, I cannot recall if the S-10 uses an 8.5" ring gear or not. I can look into it at the shop if anyone is interested.

Accualy yeah, i'de be interested in finding out exacly which 10 bolt they are refering to...

It keeps getting refered to as a S-10 rear, but do they have the 8.2" 7.5" or 8.5" gear?(i'm assuming that i don't have to get into the B-O-P 10 bolts either)

thomas said:
Nailbomb, I must be honest with you, I do not know the difference between a 8" and a 8.8" rearend. I believe I chose that 8.8 over the 10 bolt because you recommened it. I've also heard from others that it is a good rearend. I must tell you that it's guys like you, Mike, Fred and Rick that are going to be my teachers. I no nothing except how to fish.:eek:

The reason i recomended the 8.8 inch is becaws
1 its just a little weaker than a ford 9" which along with the GM 12 bolt are the rear axles all are compared to for durability. It'll be bulletproof behind a 5.0L
2 Its wide popularity in modern fords makes it very easy to get cheap parts for, like gear sets, disc brakes...ect
3 many vehicles it was put into were narrow reducing the need or eliminating altogether the need to have it shortened.

I just looked at a Richmond Gear catalog.

'82 - present S-10 uses a 10 bolt 7.5" (or 7.625", which uses the same ring and pinion??) ring gear.

Apparently they figure an 1/8" is nothing amongst friends? ;)

Webmaster said:
Apparently they figure an 1/8" is nothing amongst friends? ;)
Thats just crazy, 1/8" in machining is WAAAAy too much slack, maybe its not the same, but can you imagine 1/8" gap on your piston to wall clearance?

sounds fishy to me...

In the shop I work in, we deal 10ths (.0001). 1/8 (.125) pretty good tolerance. Sure would make it a lot easier if we had that kind of tolerance.:lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back