Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where does this design originate from???

Bill Griff

I recently inherited a t bucket that my grandfather built long before I was born and he always had this picture hanging in the halway of the house. I have been told that he used this picture as a blueprint/guide for the build. I would like to track down the original article. Does anyone know where it originates from?

tbucket.JPGtbucket1.jpgtbucket.JPGtbucket1.jpg

It comes from an old Hot Rod or similar magazine, someone here will know the exact issue. If not, I can find out. I have a friend who has the magazine saved from when he used it to build a T-bucket like this.

That design was from a serial buildup in CarCraft magazine from late 60's or early 70's. The mounting of the front springs and shocks and the rears were the most distinct features that set it apart from most her builders designs.
CarCraftProjectT.jpg

Bill you going to finnish it? looks just like the pitcher he had on the wall. keep us posted

Actually going to rebuild the whole car. My grandfather passed about 20 years ago and my uncle inherited the car at that time. Funny, my father and uncle had a big falling out after my grandmother passed and here we are 20 years later and my cousin gave me the car because my uncle was going to send it to the scrapyard. The car was running at one time and I fondly remember my grandfather taking me for a ride to the local fair when I was very young. My cousin had started to do some of the rebuild, but lost interest, time, and ambition.

I do want to find out what mag this was in so that I can have some idea of what the parts may have come out of. The other bucket that I have is of the same design, but with a tubular frame rather than a box frame.
tbucket2.jpgTbucket3.jpgTbucket4.jpg

The article was a series called "How To Build A Hot Rod" and was written by Ray Sisemore. It was in Car Craft Magazine beginning in November of 1964 and ran through July of 1965. I must have read that article a 1000 times before I started my build, I loved that car so much that 45 years later I still have it.
IMG_2298-1.jpg

I remember that series of articles in Car Craft very well, and couldn't wait each month for the new update to come. It was probably the most comprehensive article every written and they showed you down to the last detail how they built every part of it and what parts were used.

In about 1989 I was working for a radio station and I put together a car show at a local shopping mall. One of the cars that showed up was an exact clone of the car in the articles, the guy followed it to a T, even with the crossram intake and Cal Custom scoops. It was so great to see it in the flesh. From the pictures it looks like your Grandfather faithfully follwed the articles too.

You inherited some very cool parts with that car and it deserves to be finished as it was originally designed. Good luck with it.

Don

BTW, in case you didn't know, those are Corvair coil springs front and rear.

Am I missing something? The Ray Sisemore article that I have found floating around the internet was a build up using leaf springs rather than the coils.

Am I missing something? The Ray Sisemore article that I have found floating around the internet was a build up using leaf springs rather than the coils.

You're probably right Bill, the last few years my memory has been on a down hill run. Getting old isn't for sissies.

I built that car from the Car Craft mags also I still have the prints for the build some where . I coppied them and put them on 35mm film.
Great car. If I rember it used corvair springs and shocks.

OK the car was built by Scritchfield in Car Craft in 67,68. It was reprinted in book form, and with minor cuts in the HOTROD yearbook 13 in about 69,70. I have the Yearbook and was looking at it last weekend.:)

I can't believe someone lost interest in that. That's a great looking T. It would be great if you could get her on the street again. Have fun!

Telman2, I'm digging your rear ladder barset-up. I always thought that was a good way to set the rearend.

I think Dirt-T is right, it used Corvair rear springs in front-- front springs in the rear-possibly from the Spyder. Nice to see the pics!
Keith Bowman

I have a photo copy of the original book form article. (accused of never throwing anything away) I can make a copy for any one interested. You can PM me through my profile.

I had the book version of that article back in '68 -'69. Although I have used a variety of different suspension designs over the last 40+ years, the basic frame dimensions I use came from that build series.:D

:) For anyone who wants a copy of the magazine article send me your street address and I will mail a hard copy. Thanks Van

:) For anyone who wants a copy of the magazine article send me your street address and I will mail a hard copy. Thanks Van
Vand I recieved the copy of article yesterday. Very thorough piece THANK YOU for holding on to it. It is in my file for a future build. THANKS AGAIN

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back