Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to start....What is it?

djtrixx

Lol hey all,

So I'm curious for input. The guy I bought the car from really had no idea what he was driving, or how it was made. Could someone please tell me what frame I would have here that is stretched so long in the front? Kind of looks weird, and I plan on shortening it, unless someone can give me other ideas. I'll post more pics if necessary. Thanks!!

bucket1.jpg

Thanks! I wish it were that easy.... The car really doesn't drive and behave so good. I'll have many more questions about steering / suspension issues that it has. Now that the engine is how I want it, time to tackle the rest.....

One thing that would be really interesting is to put it on 4 point scales and see how the weight is distributed.

One thing that would be really interesting is to put it on 4 point scales and see how the weight is distributed.
No scales necessary, just jack it up, say about 3/4 of the way back and put a jack stand under the frame, just high enough for the wheels to be held off the ground.. then go to the other side and jack it up till either it lets you know which end is the heaviest, then go back to the other side and move the stand towards the heavy end, then back around and jack it up again, soon you will have a point where it is equal, that will tell you what % is where, the static weight will then be known... That SHOULD be a pretty good riding car, but as you said, need to find out what is wrong first, it would be very easy to shorten up a bit... like you said, we need more info on what it is doing wrong... Looks good :)

Thanks for the input but unfortunately I jumped the gun a little :( I could still weigh the car, we have scales, but the body is off right now as I'm repainting and changing the interior. Could I guess that weight into the equation?

I feel the problem lies in the suspension setup. I'll post more pics tomorrow, but the geometry of the shocks, etc look really goofy compared to the pics I see here. My shocks look to be mounted near 45 degrees, not sure of the angle of the front end yet. I'll do some measuring tonight in the shop and post my findings.

As far as the "feelings", I get nasty wobble from 45 to 65 mph, and seems to float quite a bit. Suspension feels way too stiff, possibly springs are too high of a #. Again, will do some more investigating when I get to my shop.

you may as well wait till your done with your body for static weight to be figured out... I see you have the tie rod out front, and if you have a bit too much toe in already, it will only get worse with the tie rod out front while driving and that will cause the death wobble... That can get you killed, because it can tear up suspension links in a hurry, and lead to a head on crash or ?? Had/lost a friend that way:( So get it all fixed and then do some more testing, slow but sure.. :)

Looks like a good starter project. Do a search on DEATH wobble on here it has all kinds of ideas to fix the shake. I bet your bucket also needs 40 acres to turn around. That is due to the long wheelbase and steering geometry if it does.

I also noticed that your engine is mounted mighty low in the frame, so your oil pan is asking to be wiped out, that I would have to change myself, IMHO :)
I might know who built that car. Can you post pics. of the steering box area and the front frame rails?

Looks like a good starter project. Do a search on DEATH wobble on here it has all kinds of ideas to fix the shake. I bet your bucket also needs 40 acres to turn around. That is due to the long wheelbase and steering geometry if it does.

Check the kin pins for wear. My old T had shimmy every time the king pins got a little wear. Just a thought
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back