Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring Question

choppedtop

Am getting ready to wire the ignition on the 153 Chevy 4 cyl. 1969 model. Do I need to add a resistor for the coil or distributor? Its a 12 volt system, but just not sure if I need to drop volts to 6 or not.
Thanks, Lee

Are you using the stock ign. set-up ? If so , it probably had a resistor wire in lieu off a ballast resistor. To answer your question , yes , you need 1 or the other to reduce voltage.... don't forget the 12 V wire that comes from the starter so you get a full 12 V to start the engine..
dave

Thanks Dave, Yes, it is a stock set up. Does that mean that I should run wire from the "R" on the starter to the + side of the coil, and also another with the 6v from a resistor? It has been to long since I messed with this ole timey stuff.
Lee

Does that mean that I should run wire from the "R" on the starter to the + side of the coil, and also another with the 6v from a resistor?

I'm not Dave, but that is correct. The coil gets hit with 12 volts while it is cranking and drops back to the resistor voltage after the solenoid releases. BTW, I think the resistor voltage should be around 8 volts. Like you, it's been a long time.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I know now why, when I was taking a continuity reading on the solenoid poles I got zilch. The starter would have had to be engaged for the "R" post show any reading.
Lee

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back