Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1923 Willys-Chevy-Model a- Bucket

Been slaving away on this thing for about three months now. Seems that it's not coming together fast enough. Got the frame built from scratch, suspension mocked up, steering and pedals mocked up, body mocked up, started skinning the driveshaft tunnel at the end of last weekend. I should be able to run over land mines in this thing. The floor and firewall are 11 guage steel in an effort to keep the seating low and minimize framework in the floor and firewall. Was succesful in getting the doors to line up and function. My goal is to clean this thing up so it won't be mistaken as a Rat rod.
23d007.jpg

23d003.jpg

23d006.jpg

23d001.jpg

It's actually pretty ugly, but it all needs done to get to the pretty stuff.

It's what came on it, but only the lower half. I cut the post off just above the wingnut. I was actually looking at making a curved top for the frame out of the other frame so the glass has a channel across the top when finished.

It looks like the frame Roth put on the OutLaw. 23 Dodge i think.

Wicked50Coupe said:
It's actually pretty ugly, but it all needs done to get to the pretty stuff.

lol...okay yeah it is ugly. But looking good from a "I have done a lot of work" standpoint!

Mine is nothing but a steel frame on the floor and engine/trans/rearend/mounts/axle in boxes all around it...!! Oh and I like the rad shell I am using the same one for mine!

I like it...........alot. :lol: Nice to see a different body too. Keep it up and keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Don

This is what hotrods are all about. Not just going down buying import parts .

Oh-no. Front and rear crossmembers and springs are Model A, Front axle and spindle are Ford. Pedals are Model A, Radiator is Model T. Grille shell is Model A. Body is 23 Willys overland Touring cut down. Engine is a donor from a 74 1-ton Chevy pickup. Trans is from a 78 Chevy 3/4-ton pickup. Seat back is the rear from a 73 Camaro. Seat bottoms are to be Tractor Supply (maybe made in tiawan there- I'll have to check). Anyway, I'm having more fun scavenging this car together than buying all new. Speedway is about to get me though for all the bushings, shackles, etc. I NEED to get to finish this thing and make it safe.

Your right Rick .. Ed used a Dodge windshield on the Outlaw. It's hard to tell what those windshields came frome unless you take them off a known car. Lots of manufacturers used them. Dodge designed and built them for everyone from Willys to Oakland, to Buick, to Chevrolet.

Ron

That car has come a long way in a short amount of time. The progress is amazing.

jbisme said:
That car has come a long way in a short amount of time. The progress is amazing.
Funny thing, last night I pulled the engine and trans. I was going to go nothing but a four or five speed no matter what. Well, for now, I'm putting a 350 turbo on. Found it with the converter for $60. Thing is, I cut the floor out A LOT wider to clear. I have much less floor space with an automatic than the saginaw four speed I was mocking up. Eventually, I'll find a T5 world class five speed and change it all again.

Been picking away little by little while I'm not working on the 91 Camaro. Got the windshield frame done, body welded to the floor, driveshaft tunnel, Steering box mounted and linkages mocked up, Exhaust started, engine pulled and cleaned up - went back in with a turbo 350 trans. Once my son's Camaro leaves the house at the end of the month - IT's ON! I'll be rollin on some fat tires in the spring.
23d010.jpg

23d008.jpg

23d009.jpg

The floor jack mounted to your header might drag a little, but I'm impressed with your spring clamp door latches.:)

I've said it before, but I'm impressed by how fast this car is going together. Seeing other people's projects like your's coming together keeps me inspired on my own build.

This is my kind of build - makin' do with what you can scrounge and fabricating the rest. The coupe in my avatar was built at home using parts from 31 different cars & trucks and a home built frame. I'm doing my '23 track T the same way. Aftermarket suppliers hate people like us...:)

Funny, I made a 53 decklid last through two cars. The rollpan on my 50, and the wheelwells on the roadster. It's about time for me to get the catalog out though. Bushings, steering joints, etc., etc.
50Coupe044.jpg

GREAT piece of work and fabrication skill.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back