Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1937 Lincoln Zephyr

mr27t

Does anyone know if 1937 Lincoln Zephyr steer spindles are the same as the early Ford round back spindles?

i don't think so but i'll do some checking to see if i can get you a better answer.

Ron

Here it is, it's already paid for so I'll have to go pick it up asap. I'll know more about it then.

From what I can tell from the photos they look very much the same. However there could be some dimensional differences that I can't see. Henry was not known for spending money on lots of different parts over the years, so he probably just reused Ford spindles on the Lincoln.

I do know 39 Lincoln brakes bolt on Ford round and squareback spindles, my Kid has them on his RPU.

partsbackfrompowdercoater001.jpg

danscaroutside012-1.jpg

Don

donsrods said:
From what I can tell from the photos they look very much the same. However there could be some dimensional differences that I can't see. Henry was not known for spending money on lots of different parts over the years, so he probably just reused Ford spindles on the Lincoln.

I do know 39 Lincoln brakes bolt on Ford round and square back spindles, my Kid has them on his RPU.

partsbackfrompowdercoater001.jpg

danscaroutside012-1.jpg

Don

Vary interesting. '39 brake assemblies will fit Ford round or square back spindles, then I would think that it would be safe to say the obverse is entirely possible.

It is understandable that good 'ol Henry would "borrow" many parts and pieces from across his manufacturing lines for his line-up of Fords, Lincoln's and Mercury's. 'Ol Henry was all about pinching a penny and saving a dollar in every way he could. It is very smart business savoy to utilize every available part for as many applications as possible rather than unnecessarily re-tooling for each individual make and model of vehicle.

With this train of thought, then it would be reasonable to think the '37 front end assembly I had just purchased would be the same/similar front end that would be found under an original '37 Ford vehicle or pickup since the Lincoln Zephyr was easily a half ton heavier than a standard Ford sedan.

Yes, I can see where I could be entirely wrong and Murphy's Law may have already stepped into this picture... I just don't know it yet, :pray:

ok did a little research on your lincoln breakes this morning. they do work on ford spindles as don said, but you have the lincoln spindles that will fit on the ford axle so it seems you made the best possible score on your purchase. when you pickup that front end, ask if he have the rims too. those drums have the wide 5 pattern so you will need the lincoln rims or maybe a pair of ford wide 5's.

you would do well to get a hold of bishop and Tardel's "how to build a traditional ford hot rod' mike used the lincoln brakes on his '29 hiboy. it'll tell you what's what with those brakes starting on page 58.

i might add this is a great book for those who are building a car with a traditional flavor. tons of good info and lots of pics.

Ron

Amazon has that book and you can see it here.
[ame=[url]http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Traditional-Ford-Revised/dp/0760309000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238262425&sr=1-1]Amazon.com[/url]: How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod, Revised Ed.: Mike Bishop, Vern Tardel, Steve Amos: Books[/ame]

Amazon has that book and you can see it here.
[ame="[url]http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Traditional-Ford-Revised/dp/0760309000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238262425&sr=1-1[/url]"]Amazon.com: How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod, Revised Ed.: Mike Bishop, Vern Tardel, Steve Amos: Books[/ame]

Thank you Youngter!!!

Youngster said:
ok did a little research on your lincoln breakes this morning. they do work on ford spindles as don said, but you have the lincoln spindles that will fit on the ford axle so it seems you made the best possible score on your purchase. when you pickup that front end, ask if he have the rims too. those drums have the wide 5 pattern so you will need the lincoln rims or maybe a pair of ford wide 5's.

you would do well to get a hold of bishop and Tardel's "how to build a traditional ford hot rod' mike used the lincoln brakes on his '29 hiboy. it'll tell you what's what with those brakes starting on page 58.

i might add this is a great book for those who are building a car with a traditional flavor. tons of good info and lots of pics.

Ron

I just called the seller and he informed me that he sold the rims :cry:. I wonder if it could be possible to re-drill the hubs/drums to accept a chevy 5 x 4 4/3" wheel?

Many VW off-roader's re-drill the small 4 lug bug pattern to fit the early large 5 lug bug patern. For the bug's, I don't see the reason for this as both style wheels are readily available for the VW's.

Would it be a kick in the pants if the early wide 5 VW wheels would fit.

I'm feeling Murphy's Law creeping in here, LOL :).

Re: Thank you Youngter!!!

i wouldn't be surprised if the '36 to '39 ford wheels would fit. they would also be narrower than the lincoln rims. i see in the pic of the front end, the rear end is sittin there too. is it for sale? a bucket with wide 5's all the way around would be cool too. it would be a simple matter to have a pair widened.

your other option is to find a pair of drums for a '40 to '48 lincoln. that would give you the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. sorry ... you won't be able to redrill for a smaller bolt pattern.

I doubt if the vw bolt pattern is the same. but you could use the 4.5 wide rims with some ford centers.

Ron

Don't sweat it, wide 5 wheels show up on Ebay all the time. As for redrilling, I don't think so. There is no flat surface as on normal drums to drill, as I remember.

Don

Youngster said:
i wouldn't be surprised if the '36 to '39 ford wheels would fit. they would also be narrower than the lincoln rims. i see in the pic of the front end, the rear end is sittin there too. is it for sale? a bucket with wide 5's all the way around would be cool too. it would be a simple matter to have a pair widened.

your other option is to find a pair of drums for a '40 to '48 lincoln. that would give you the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. sorry ... you won't be able to redrill for a smaller bolt pattern.

I doubt if the vw bolt pattern is the same. but you could use the 4.5 wide rims with some ford centers.

Ron

Yep the rear end is there, but not for long... I got the rear end this morning on the phone with the seller. I was planning on trying to go and pick everything up today, but it's a 6-8 hour drive one way so the plan is next weekend to go and pick it all up. He offered to bring it to me because he has to make a trip to Las Vegas and he will be passing right through Barstow. If he is able to bring it to me then of course I'm going to put some gas money in his pocket for the trip he is making to Las Vegas.

It looks like I'll have me a wide 5 lug set up soon.

cool ... al you need now is a nice full dressed flatty and '39 trany!!!!!!

Ron

Youngster said:
cool ... al you need now is a nice full dressed flatty and '39 trany!!!!!!

Ron

I saw a fat dressed up tranny the other day standing outside Wal-Mart, IT looked to be older than 39.

Gave me the willies :eek:.

as my daughter would say ... "ewwwwwwwwwww" lol

Ron

Here, there are a couple of decent wide 5 wheels on Ebay right now, this is one of them, he has a couple.

Item number: 370178495004

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back