Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

37-41 Roundback Spindle Qestion

RexRod

Does anyone know what this dimension is?
spindle2.jpg

I'm in no hurry. Just hoping someone knows this.

Take care,

David

5.500 .... do you have that spindle??

Ron

No, but I wish I did. I stole and modified the image above from the Speedway website. While I wait for my thumb to heal, I'm kicking around some ideas for finned billet aluminum backing plates, and I was trying to get some idea of how large in diameter that mounting surface was.

Thanks Ron!!!!!!

David

that spindle shows the modifications for the grease zerks if you are using after market steering arms.

something magoo did was to make a disc that mounted the caliper that bolted to the spindle. kinda hid the brake rotor and dressed the area up with slots milled into the disc.

Ron

Since we're talking about round back spindles, I have a question. I want to know what the inside (big shoulder) bearing diameter is for early to later Ford spindles. I measured up a a new Super Bell or Magnum (can't remember which) and came up with 1.1875". I also came up with a solid model of a like spindle and it measured .890" OD. Both spindles had a .750" snout diameter. Everything else was pretty much the same. I'm just trying to figure out if the model was drawn wrong or there was a change in later years. Any input will be appreciated.

George

Floyd this is the adapter to later GM the ID should tell ya
1.jpg

Non Dancin' Mr. Rooster,

I assume this is a bearing adapter that would fit earlier spindles. If so, would you know the actual years they built the small diameter (early model) versus the later big bearing design. I'm not looking to buy spindles, I just want to figure out what's what. Thanks for the quick response.

George

I am 92.3 percent pos it is 37-41 ford car.

the '37 to early '41 were the round back spindles. these also had a cam at the bottom of the shoes for adjustment. the backing plates were flat as opposed to the later backing plates that had dimples to locate the shoes. the late '41 to '48 spindles had the square back shape. the shoes pivoted on a fixed pin on the backing plate. the '36 and earlier spindles are the small ones and aren't suitable for our use. the '37 to '48 spindles are all the same as far as the bearing surfaces go. the backing plates are inter-changeble but you must use the hubs and drums that match.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back