Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

427 BBC Pistons, etc

Heres another one....as you can see, you can get nice set for a little....if thats what you want. Just shop around....
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-ek1195
I just priced a set of pistons from O'Reillys....not too bad
You can also get kits thru Napa, O'Reillys, Advanced, AutoZone and the like....
Screaming Metal, You actually gave me a good idea about milling the pistons. I think I will go see Bob at Performance Research and see what he can do to lower the compression. He is the man for balancing stuff around here as far as I know anyways. I hate to waste a perfectly good set of forged slugs, but buying race fuel for the cruise in isn't doable! Thanks!

Well, since you are gonna have to mill them, you'll need to rebalance the lower end. Well, anytime the pistons are changed, going with another model, if theres some difference in the weight, rebalance would be necessary anyway, so it a good choice.

I feel your angst dealing with the co's....I've walked out of several shops around here because of the smoke blowing sessions being held....I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with such trivial crap anymore.
I'm a business person just like they are....
When you find a co....its best to stick with them....I agree 100%. I have a few friends that run a store front on ebay....and alot of folks on ebay are dishonest.... most of the merchants try to do right, but there are a few that misrepresent themselves. And my friends tell me some horrible crap that some of these co's try to pull.
I'm not a people person, I build motors, thats all I do, PERIOD. I can't dance or sing, I don't do karaoke at the Bar, I don't fish or hunt (well, maybe just a little when I have the chance)....I build motors. Thats what I do. I'm really good at it. I don't do fiberglass, I don't paint, I build motors....
Alot of these co's, when the noose was getting tightened by the economy back before 2010, alot of co's had to sink or swim. The Internet allowed them to sell online, to try and make it. These days you have to specialize....
You can't open a storefront on ebay and sell a kit unless you can get these pieces supercheap and mark them up a little to make a living like that.
Now, Summit Can because thats all they do! And Jegs. They Specialize. Mabbco has been around a while. Walmart has run so many mom&pop businesses outta business it isn't even funny. And we let all this crap happen.
The Folks at the strips MADE the NHRA, AHRA, NDRA, etc....and they in they, in turn, have ruled the rules to where folks have just gave up and got out of racing because it just costs too damn much....
Shame on us for letting all this mess happen....
I really truely hate to say it, but I think the golden age of HotRodding has come and is going with us....Us being the old Dinasours from the 60's, 70's, and 80's....

Reactions: RPM
Well, since you are gonna have to mill them, you'll need to rebalance the lower end. Well, anytime the pistons are changed, going with another model, if theres some difference in the weight, rebalance would be necessary anyway, so it a good choice.

I feel your angst dealing with the co's....I've walked out of several shops around here because of the smoke blowing sessions being held....I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with such trivial crap anymore.
I'm a business person just like they are....
When you find a co....its best to stick with them....I agree 100%. I have a few friends that run a store front on ebay....and alot of folks on ebay are dishonest.... most of the merchants try to do right, but there are a few that misrepresent themselves. And my friends tell me some horrible crap that some of these co's try to pull.
I'm not a people person, I build motors, thats all I do, PERIOD. I can't dance or sing, I don't do karaoke at the Bar, I don't fish or hunt (well, maybe just a little when I have the chance)....I build motors. Thats what I do. I'm really good at it. I don't do fiberglass, I don't paint, I build motors....
Alot of these co's, when the noose was getting tightened by the economy back before 2010, alot of co's had to sink or swim. The Internet allowed them to sell online, to try and make it. These days you have to specialize....
You can't open a storefront on ebay and sell a kit unless you can get these pieces supercheap and mark them up a little to make a living like that.
Now, Summit Can because thats all they do! And Jegs. They Specialize. Mabbco has been around a while. Walmart has run so many mom&pop businesses outta business it isn't even funny. And we let all this crap happen.
The Folks at the strips MADE the NHRA, AHRA, NDRA, etc....and they in they, in turn, have ruled the rules to where folks have just gave up and got out of racing because it just costs too damn much....
Shame on us for letting all this mess happen....
I really truely hate to say it, but I think the golden age of HotRodding has come and is going with us....Us being the old Dinasours from the 60's, 70's, and 80's....

How many grams do you take off the dome to remove 1 CC, for sake of figuring compression. I used to know, but can't remember.

Yeah, I guess I was too dialed into the CR side of the picture, One cc of volume is always going to be once cc of volume, aye? <kicks self>
Don't kick yourself too hard. I hate formula's. It's not the actual math, it's remembering the darn things. When I worked on X-ray equipment, I carried a cheat sheet with my calculator, just like in school!

Well, Lunati has alot of good info....
I cc the piston domes, then digitize them using my SLA. I make sure the wristpin hole and the top ring are all within my specs....I measure from that top ring.... I can then map the profile and and set them in the CNC's. I do the same thing on the combustion chambers(with valves installed)....since I digitize the chambers and all their info is in the computer, all I have to do is start with the deepest chamber and hit the cnc button....
From there....everything is equalized....
I Know this is not nesessary for street motors, BUT, gotta keep it all the same. I still CC the piston tops when machining....each piston mfg'er is diff. on the molds....

When you have a motor with over 300+ horses on each cylinder, and they are not equal, the motor tears itself apart from the inside out. The Fuelers are ALOT more than that....

Well, Lunati has alot of good info....
I cc the piston domes, then digitize them using my SLA. I make sure the wristpin hole and the top ring are all within my specs....I measure from that top ring.... I can then map the profile and and set them in the CNC's. I do the same thing on the combustion chambers(with valves installed)....since I digitize the chambers and all their info is in the computer, all I have to do is start with the deepest chamber and hit the cnc button....
From there....everything is equalized....
I Know this is not nesessary for street motors, BUT, gotta keep it all the same. I still CC the piston tops when machining....each piston mfg'er is diff. on the molds....

When you have a motor with over 300+ horses on each cylinder, and they are not equal, the motor tears itself apart from the inside out. The Fuelers are ALOT more than that....
Update for any interested in the thread: I just heard back from Bob at Performance Research, seems he was out of town, but he said no problem with the piston milling and re-balance. Turns out this is more reasonable than I expected, he ball parked it at 15.00 per slug if I dismantle and 185.00 to balance the rotating assembly. I know his work is excellent. So that beats buying new pistons and eliminates the waste thing that I hate. Thanks again for the idea Screaming Metal! What do you guys think I should reduce the compression to? Iron heads, tunnel ram, fairly thumpy cam(haven't selected yet, but 270-300 duration range), manual shift, so I think 9.5-10:1 is about the most for street use, pump gas. I don't want to nueter it too bad. I ran 10.5:1 or so with iron heads on a stroker and had knock at low rpm light load(cruise) but was able to control it with re-jetting, timing, and finally a msd timing computer. I am not sure I would do that again because it was a pain to dial it in without a dyno and there was significant compromise required.

Now. if your gonna build a blower motor, and you can build a low compression blower motor, run it without the blower for awhile till you can afford it or get the one you want.
If your gonna build it, and run it without the blower for awhile, shoot for 8.0 or 8.3 to 1, no more. If your gonna build a dedicated blower motor, set it for 7. to 7.5 to 1.
Now, you can run more base compression, and this won't have a negative dramatic impact, but the motor will be happier, and it'll respond better to tuning, and will last longer.
You see, as you spin that blower, the more fuel and air you cram in the cylinders, your compression ratio goes up, too.
Too much compression and not enough octane, is a recipe for detonation....and detonation is the death of a blower motor.
Blowers and turbochargers have been around for over 100 years, and they're durable and long lasting, if you build them right.

I can get a blower kit, put it on a stock low compression 350, and make over 700 horses easy, because I know what drive to put on it, the jets and stuff in the carbs and about what timing to run. I know this from experience. BUT, at 750 horses, when you rev it for the 1st time, the oilpan will be blown completely off....it would not be a pretty sight.
I just told you that to emphasize the amount of power these things CAN put out!
Give them the respect they deserve, some common sense on the building of the motor, and theres no reason why you can't have a mildly built 600 horse big block thats'll spin to 5800 and can be run everyday, dependably, for the next 10 years....

Think of it this way....
BB Recipe, 600 dependable horses- Steel crank (aftermarket), steel rods (aftermarket), forged pistons (aftermarket) with 11.1 compression with Av gas or racing fuel, good timing gear/chain, arp rod bolts, solid lifter rollercam/roller lifters and rockers, special valvesprings, tunnelram w/2x4s, alum. heads....so on and so forth.
BB Recipe, 600 dependable horses-Good rebuilt truck block (steel crank and rods), low compression, (low to mid 70s motor),
fresh rebuild kit and gaskets, BDS 6-71 blower kit with 15% underdrive....*Double key that crank anda GOOD harmonic balancer.
And guess what, that blower kit is still alot CHEAPER!
That Rollercam and valvetrain is gonna eat up 1/2 of what that blower would cost.

That is why I love the ProComp and the Altered motors....

Last edited:
If your Gonna run the motor with a tunnelram, keep your compression about 8.5 to 9.0, that way you can still run pump gas....
Any higher and you'll have to be fighting the timing and compression and detonation at the same time....
Remember, they make head gaskets in various thicknesses for just such purposes....

so I think 9.5-10:1 is about the most for street use, pump gas.

Thats on the high side there....remember, most of the fuel we get now days is gonna be about 10% EvilEthan. You CAN run the 9.5 to 10.0 if you use additives everytank full....

Last edited:
In this part of the country, you're going to find that 9.5:1 is going to be problematic on high-temperature days. However, if you are serious about trying to run something around 300° duration on your cam, then you are going to have to increase static compression, in order to keep cylinder pressure where it needs to be. A cam with that much duration is going to have enough overlap to start killing off cylinder pressure. You're walking a very fine line, there.

If your Gonna run the motor with a tunnelram, keep your compression about 8.5 to 9.0, that way you can still run pump gas....
Any higher and you'll have to be fighting the timing and compression and detonation at the same time....
Remember, they make head gaskets in various thicknesses for just such purposes....

so I think 9.5-10:1 is about the most for street use, pump gas.

Thats on the high side there....remember, most of the fuel we get now days is gonna be about 10% EvilEthan. You CAN run the 9.5 to 10.0 if you use additives everytank full....
Great info! I was overlooking the ethanol issue and just thinking octane (advertised) levels. I know the iron heads hold heat and require reducing the compression by about 1 point or so as opposed to aluminum also. I looked into a roller cam set up and no kidding on the cost. They have went way up. I converted a pre 85 sbc to roller and had about 500. in all of the components in 2003 and thought that was a lot for a cam back then. I just looked at a similar setup and it would be well over 800. I didn't do much shopping, but that was the same place I bought the parts before. It seems the lifters went up more than the cams? I know they are much more durable, but if you decide to change the cam later, that negates that bonus. I guess that's just progress? I guess the manufacturers know they will last and need to get the money up front since we won't be buying lifters as often. (just my take on it) The engine won't be working very hard in the bucket, but I want it to be worth the effort. I do not want to fight detonation and the timing issue. Been there, and from my experience, the added compression probably provided less power than lower compression due to timing/tuning concessions required to combat detonation. I ended up going with aluminum heads to make it run right and still live long. I think I will put a blower plan together and build the bottom end with that in mind, run the tunnel and iron heads for now, and if I decide to go with a blower, it will be good to go. I suppose I could go with a little higher compression with the tunnel and iron heads, and go with aluminum heads when and if I add the blower and be good to go. I could then employ thicker head gaskets if needed to refine the setup. Sounds like a plan, sort of.. We will see once I actually get it torn town and check everything out. I may just get happy and build the shit out of it once I get into it if it needs much. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

You may be sic, but i used a geo metro engine in my 26 coupe. drives nice, forty plus MPG and plenty of power even on hills. gust drove to Chicago passed everything in sight even gas stations. keep your mind open and enjoy the ride
frame.jpg

You may be sic, but i used a geo metro engine in my 26 coupe. drives nice, forty plus MPG and plenty of power even on hills. gust drove to Chicago passed everything in sight even gas stations. keep your mind open and enjoy the ride
View attachment 10704
If that is what you like, great! I applaud your effort and craftsmanship. It takes similar effort to build them either way, other than the engine. I personally like raw power in my hot rods. I want it to do strange dangerous things when I press the petal on the right! That's the whole point for ME, and the nostalgia with the old school drive train parts. I ride the bike or my little Fiat Spyder to save fuel! Lol. Hell, my bike barely gets 40 mpg and it only has 2 cylinders!

In this part of the country, you're going to find that 9.5:1 is going to be problematic on high-temperature days. However, if you are serious about trying to run something around 300° duration on your cam, then you are going to have to increase static compression, in order to keep cylinder pressure where it needs to be. A cam with that much duration is going to have enough overlap to start killing off cylinder pressure. You're walking a very fine line, there.
Yea, good point! I know and I will likely have to dial the whole thing back a couple clicks. I love the sound of a big cam, but they aren't very good at low rpm, but neither is a tunnel. We have temperature and worse, humidity swings, so it is a full time job to keep a high performance engine actually tuned. (makes for tricky paint work too) I will do some research on several configurations before buying parts. Again, I'm trying to make the best out of what I have to start with, without reinventing the wheel. I used to have a desk top dyno program and another one that I forget the name of that were somewhat helpful to match components, Not sure what happened to them.

I played with a couple of desktop dyno programs, a few years back. We would run a motor on the dyno, then I would plug all the numbers into a desktop dyno program, and the software numbers were never in the same area code as what we had recorded on the dyno cell. I wouldn't place too much stock in those kinds of numbers.

I played with a couple of desktop dyno programs, a few years back. We would run a motor on the dyno, then I would plug all the numbers into a desktop dyno program, and the software numbers were never in the same area code as what we had recorded on the dyno cell. I wouldn't place too much stock in those kinds of numbers.
I often wondered about that, but never had access to a dyno. I imagine they use manufacturers advertised best scenario numbers as their base. I don't know how close the actual numbers were because I never put it on a dyno, but I built a sbc with components matched on it and it ran very strong with similar rpm range, etc...It also had detonation just as warned, but I thought I could make it work and didn't want to buy new heads because I had a nice set of 882's with 1.94/2.02 valves. That decision cost me! Live and learn. By the way, I was also trying to make a 3.08 duration .600 lift cam run on the street, which is why I wanted to keep the compression up. It did work, but took much tinkering.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back