Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

462's

baddawgcustoms

I THINK I have a deal on a set of 462 heads, studded with guide plates, crane rollers and girdles. $300 sounds good and he's agrees to let my local machine shop check them out before money exchanges. My question is that someone in the past drilled the heads for accessory holes and two of them go inside the top of the head under the valve cover area. Could these holes be welded up and ground down so i don't have to stick bolts in them to plug them up?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I THINK I have a deal on a set of 462 heads, studded with guide plates, crane rollers and girdles. $300 sounds good and he's agrees to let my local machine shop check them out before money exchanges. My question is that someone in the past drilled the heads for accessory holes and two of them go inside the top of the head under the valve cover area. Could these holes be welded up and ground down so i don't have to stick bolts in them to plug them up?

View attachment 10622

View attachment 10623

Don't use bolts, use recessed plugs. Ones like on most rear ends. Use thread tape or the liquid on head gaskets--CRS about name of it-- maybe Indian Head gasket sealer.

Don't use bolts, use recessed plugs. Ones like on most rear ends. Use thread tape or the liquid on head gaskets--CRS about name of it-- maybe Indian Head gasket sealer.
Hello, That is a good deal on the 462's. The valve train parts are worth more then 300.00. I have a set that are drilled for accessories as well and they are through the water jacket. I used thread seal and good rtv and they don't leak. You can have them welded shut or if you think you may use the holes in the future, you could plug them with epoxy or jb weld. There is only about 6-8 psi on the cooing system, not enough to blow it out. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Hello, That is a good deal on the 462's. The valve train parts are worth more then 300.00. I have a set that are drilled for accessories as well and they are through the water jacket. I used thread seal and good rtv and they don't leak. You can have them welded shut or if you think you may use the holes in the future, you could plug them with epoxy or jb weld. There is only about 6-8 psi on the cooing system, not enough to blow it out. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.
Another thing you could do it put set screws in them. I would recomend stainless and good lock tight or the like.

I'm with @RPM on this one, all the way. In order to weld those heads properly, they are going to have to be disassembled and then placed in an oven, to heat the castings. All that heat is going to warp mating surfaces, so you will need to mill those surfaces to get them flat again. A whole lot of money spent, when you can just use set screws and epoxy over them. Pennies saved are pennies earned.

As Mike & Ron said....use some nyloc setscrews....it'll help hold them in place
From the valvecover side of the holes, apply your stickem. Put enough in there to seal a length of twice the length of the setscrew. Stick the allenwrench up in the hole, from the front, till you pick up a little of the stickem....measure it. Screw the setscrew into depth, and let it set good before putting it into service....
After the motor runs a little, if theres some oil that wicks out, you might have to put a really thin setscrew in it to completely seal it, with a touch more sealer. A double setscrew will jam out in the very rear of the hole, and keep the bolt from going in too deep should you need to use one of those accessory holes....

As Mike & Ron said....use some nyloc setscrews....it'll help hold them in place
From the valvecover side of the holes, apply your stickem. Put enough in there to seal a length of twice the length of the setscrew. Stick the allenwrench up in the hole, from the front, till you pick up a little of the stickem....measure it. Screw the setscrew into depth, and let it set good before putting it into service....
After the motor runs a little, if theres some oil that wicks out, you might have to put a really thin setscrew in it to completely seal it, with a touch more sealer. A double setscrew will jam out in the very rear of the hole, and keep the bolt from going in too deep should you need to use one of those accessory holes....
Another thing you want to check on those heads will be the valve stem tips and guides. From the look of the rockers and girdles, there was likely a high lift cam installed and if it was ran long and or hard, those are typical areas that suffer the blunt of it. I presume your machinist will check all of that for you. Still a great deal from the looks of them just for the hardware!

Before I'd put any money in those outdated 462 , I'd spend my money on new aluminum heads that will make FAR more H.P. than those...
dave

Before I'd put any money in those outdated 462 , I'd spend my money on new aluminum heads that will make FAR more H.P. than those...
dave
I agree with Dave about the aluminum heads. It just depends on your goals and what the iron heads actually need. Still the rockers and girdles are well worth the price if you can use them and their condition. The studs and push rod guide plates are likely stock. Those old iron heads will produce plenty of power for a street thumper as long as you keep the compression to a reasonable ratio +-9.5:1 or less on pump gas, depending on cam and timing control. I personally like using period correct components on stuff from a nostalgic perspective, Old school. I wouldn't put a ton into them though.

Thanks for all the replies, it gave me some good ideas. The hardware came off a friend of mines mud truck, built just last year so they don't have many miles just some high RPM passes in a mud pit. The heads he bought for another project and never used. According to my research the 462 heads were factory 2.02 but did t have studs and guide plates. They have stainless valves but the stem height is way off from valve to valve. The machinist just called and said seats and guides are good but valves are trash. The rockers all look good so $120 for valve job and $160 for new stainless valves. Those rockera need .10 over stems anyway for clearance so I'll have $580 in the entire top end. I'm trying to keep it as retro as I can for a T with a sbc sticking out of the front so I really wanted to run the humps. I'm running the nastalgia 3030 solid cam from comp, so it will only be .488 lift. It's been modified with a little more modern profile. With flat tops it should be close to 10-1 if my math is good. Picked up a Holley street dominator intake at a car show today which is really a repro of the LT1 intake. (I had sworn to run a single 4 tunnel ram but decided on a better tuned street engine) Should make a good stout engine, maybe 375hp? Won't be hitting the dino but it will be plenty for my little T. I know a lot of folks don't like the solid cam but the new version isn't 3030 lash, it's 1212 so they don't tick THAT bad! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies, it gave me some good ideas. The hardware came off a friend of mines mud truck, built just last year so they don't have many miles just some high RPM passes in a mud pit. The heads he bought for another project and never used. According to my research the 462 heads were factory 2.02 but did t have studs and guide plates. They have stainless valves but the stem height is way off from valve to valve. The machinist just called and said seats and guides are good but valves are trash. The rockers all look good so $120 for valve job and $160 for new stainless valves. Those rockera need .10 over stems anyway for clearance so I'll have $580 in the entire top end. I'm trying to keep it as retro as I can for a T with a sbc sticking out of the front so I really wanted to run the humps. I'm running the nastalgia 3030 solid cam from comp, so it will only be .488 lift. It's been modified with a little more modern profile. With flat tops it should be close to 10-1 if my math is good. Picked up a Holley street dominator intake at a car show today which is really a repro of the LT1 intake. (I had sworn to run a single 4 tunnel ram but decided on a better tuned street engine) Should make a good stout engine, maybe 375hp? Won't be hitting the dino but it will be plenty for my little T. I know a lot of folks don't like the solid cam but the new version isn't 3030 lash, it's 1212 so they don't tick THAT bad! :thumbsup:

That's curious about the studs/plates. I have and have had several sets of camel hump heads and all of them have screw in studs and guide plates from the factory. Not sure if they were 461 or 462...maybe the production year dictated weather or not they came that way(?). I have some later 2.02/1.60 heads, 882's I think, that have pressed in studs, but they came with accessory holes cast in them. Sounds like you got off pretty cheap on a decent set of heads. I have a solid cam in my BBC and I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, but that isn't what it is...10:1 may give you some detonation with iron heads from my experience..I used a msd timing computer and sort of remedied it. I ended up switching to aluminum heads but for several reasons not just the knock. That was on my stroked sbc in my z28. Solid lift is ok as long as you adjust them regularly and be sure to use oil friction inhibiting additive with zinc and phosphorous to avoid shredding the lobes! As for the dino, My dino has always been the seat of my pants. lol That's plenty of hp for a 1800 pound bucket. Good luck with the build!

All the 2.02's and 2.05 heads had the screw in studs and guideplates, as far as the later ones, you can buy a kit from Goodsons fr

Anyway.... its easy to run way too much compression these days with the fuel the way it is....so be careful.

As far as dyno work, usually the racers are into that because they need their cars to be hitting a certain # for the Horses/Weight ratios they need.
I run all my motors in on my motor stand that way I know everything is correct before its bolted into the car.
I break in and tune on the motorstand, unless its a allout race motor, then it goes on the dyno.
Depending on the dyno and the software, the person behind the console can fudge the #'s as mach as 35 more than what you really have so the dyno these days really don't mean shit....

Dale, how many inches is this motor? 375 HP is pretty optimistic.

Depending on the dyno and the software, the person behind the console can fudge the #'s as mach as 35 more than what you really have so the dyno these days really don't mean shit....
Shhhh, you're giving away one of the best-guarded secrets, used by many engine builders. Input a ridiculously low barometric pressure, hang the hat temp sensor down near the header collector, and be sure to only let the customer see the corrected numbers. :thumbsup: You'll get hero numbers, every time. We used to refer to that as Texas HP.

We had a really close working relationship with a team that won an IHRA Pro Stock World Championship, a few years back. They raced several classes, on their way to the top of the heap, and dealt with several engine builders. The owner of the team, who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons, would quite regularly pick up motors from his engine builder of the day and bring it to us, to have us run it on the dyno. Some of the better-known shops always had very reputable dyno sheets, whereas some of the smaller guys were obviously using some questionable set-ups.

Dale, how many inches is this motor? 375 HP is pretty optimistic.

Shhhh, you're giving away one of the best-guarded secrets, used by many engine builders. Input a ridiculously low barometric pressure, hang the hat temp sensor down near the header collector, and be sure to only let the customer see the corrected numbers. :thumbsup: You'll get hero numbers, every time. We used to refer to that as Texas HP.

We had a really close working relationship with a team that won an IHRA Pro Stock World Championship, a few years back. They raced several classes, on their way to the top of the heap, and dealt with several engine builders. The owner of the team, who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons, would quite regularly pick up motors from his engine builder of the day and bring it to us, to have us run it on the dyno. Some of the better-known shops always had very reputable dyno sheets, whereas some of the smaller guys were obviously using some questionable set-ups.

That was the reason for the question mark after the 375, I have no earthly idea. Never had an engine on a dyno I'm sure in a car like this I'll run out of balls before it runs out.

Looks like those heads have had some nice port work done too, looks like a good deal to me!
375 HP is realistic I think, put something like a 650 double pumper on it and it'll run hard. Howard Cams make a small bottle of "break in" oil additive that you can add to your engine oil to save the cam. The old 30/30 cam wouldn't be my first choice, a hydraulic Comp Cams "Thumper" series would sound good , perform better and be maintenance free. Just my thoughts.
You can always sell the girdles, and put the $$ in to set of aluminum heads later on , and put the roller rockers on them too if you need more performance

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back