Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

700r4

The valve body is set up internally so that the trans can't lock up in first gear. Only 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Ok, so that's why. Couldn't remember, it's been several months since I was researching that.

The valve body is set up internally so that the trans can't lock up in first gear. Only 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I should also mention that I have heard of an internal mod that can be done to certain 700's that will lock the convertor in 4th without the need for the solenoid. All done hydraulically from inside the valve body. Every time the trans shifts into 4th it locks. My trans guy talked about it, but I wasn't sure I would like it. I have no idea what is done to achieve this.

I put a 7ooR4 in my bucket and the tranny guru friend of mine put a 5/16 check ball in the valve body somewhere. I did a google search on 700r4 check ball lockup and got a page with color glossies and circles and arrows where the check ball goes. I like mine a lot. It locks into 4th OD at about 37 MPH, I wish it would come out a little sooner. If someone in front of me slows down to make a turn, it stays in lockup, and I'll manually pull it back to 3rd. It comes out about 20 MPH. But I don't have wiring or switches. And I don't slow down too much. It's not too often I have to pull it back.

I wish it would come out a little sooner.

The governor controls all the major shift points. You might try pulling the governor out of that 4 cylinder S10 that Ron recommended earlier for the convertor(as long as it's the original trans). Transmissions for smaller engines were usually programmed to upshift later and downshift earlier.

There are also kits available (B & M makes one) that will let you change the weights and springs in your governor to set the shift points where you want them.

I didn't know they made kits to adjust shift points. Last I knew of I had to file the weights down to make them lighter or change springs. My feelings were "Don't mess with it...It locks up.". I'll have to check it out. My tranny came out of a bigger car so it shifts into 2nd too early. That has nothing to do with the lockup speed though. Wish I knew more about trannys. Took one apart when I was younger and thought' "That ain't goin back together."

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back