Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

8.8" Ford?

bucketkids

100_4014.JPGWhen I got this project the guy told me he believed the rear end was out of a 98 Mustang. What do you folks think?

Was there a tag on the bolt that holds the cover on? That would tell the Ford guys everything you would want to know about that rear end.

Thanks RPM, Here is a pic of the tag. (all I have here in PA with me. I will be home tomorrow and write what it says more gooder than the pic.

Will the tag also tell the ratio?100_4012.JPG

Thanks RPM, Here is a pic of the tag. (all I have here in PA with me. I will be home tomorrow and write what it says more gooder than the pic.

Will the tag also tell the ratio?[attachment=3404:100_4012.JPG]

OK, Pic didn't work but here is what it says.

S262C
2 73 75 7L18

Thanks Ben, It looks like a posi kit will run about 300 bucks. Is that rear worth putting the money in or should I look for another?

I wouldn't spend 300 bucks for a posi in that. You can find real 8.8's under any 5.0 mustang from 86 on up. They all have traction lok rear ends. One drawback is that they have the haunches for the 4 link bars that would need to cut off depending on what setup you're going with.

Depending on what powerplant you are using, the 7.5 might still work. My brother had one in his 86 Mustang that he had converted form a 4cyl to a 351W V8. It lasted a while before we finally replaced it with an 8.8. If you're running a lo-po v8, 6 or 4 your're probably good. If you're talking blower, better step up to the 8.8" or 9". :welcome::bomb::bomb:

I wouldn't spend 300 bucks for a posi in that. You can find real 8.8's under any 5.0 mustang from 86 on up. They all have traction lok rear ends. One drawback is that they have the haunches for the 4 link bars that would need to cut off depending on what setup you're going with.

Depending on what powerplant you are using, the 7.5 might still work. My brother had one in his 86 Mustang that he had converted form a 4cyl to a 351W V8. It lasted a while before we finally replaced it with an 8.8. If you're running a lo-po v8, 6 or 4 your're probably good. If you're talking blower, better step up to the 8.8" or 9". :rolleyes::bomb::wow:
Thanks BenT, I will start the search. I am running a high horse blown 350.

7.5 ford rears were used in mustangs and ranger pu some cougars for four cylinder applications the next in line was the 8.8 which was used in mustangs,t-birds,rangers,explorers,cougars and 1/2 ton pu as well as jeeps.lots of 8.8 rears out there for four links and leaf springs and independents

Ok, I measured up and it is 8". Should I worry? Just curriouse, If someone says 8.8" rear is that 8.800" Like just over 3/4"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back