Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A new way to get forum help

Mike

The developer that had created our old help desk add-on got his panties in a bunch and bailed on the project. No advance notice or warning of any kind, he just decided to close down his Web site and walk away. His coding was not the best, but the package did allow us to have trouble tickets, so people who were having problems with the forum could get help. I learned how bad his coding was, when I tried to uninstall the add-on, as it knackered the database and required a back-up to be installed.

Since that time, I have been warily looking for some kind of replacement add-on. For those of us who have been using forums since the dawn of time, there are rarely any problems, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people write me, each week, asking how they are supposed to create new posts, or reply to existing threads.

After doing some testing on a sandbox site, I discovered a way to cleanly dump off the old help desk package, so I removed all those files and dropped all the associated database tables to finally rid myself of that mess. And I have installed a new package that I hope will provide most of the same features.

faqman001.jpg

You will now notice a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) link in the navbar.

faqman002.jpg

Hovering over that link will display this drop-down menu. The first two menu items will not be visible to you, but you will see a link you can click to ask a question. The last two menu items are FAQ categories, and I will be adding a couple more categories as time progresses.

faqman003.jpg

Clicking on the Registration FAQs category will display the first FAQs I have added. The title of each FAQ appears in the center pane, and if you click on one of those titles -

faqman004.jpg

You will be able to see the answer provided for that particular question.

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will this FAQ manager be fully fleshed out in so short a time. But over the course of the next few days, I hope to get some more questions and answers/solutions added to the manager. Hopefully, this will help out anyone who is having problems trying to sort out forum features and functions.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back