Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A number that spells the end of V8s

Gerry

Last night on the news and due to the 'unrest' in the Middle east the experts are predicating that gas prices will rise to £2-00 per litre. Its already at £1-30.
This means a UK gallon of regular is going to cost us £9.00
or in US, close to
$15.00 bucks a gallon (UK)

I wonder if the recent launch of a few electric cars by major makers has anything to do with this as well.

Looks like once the T is finished I may not be able to afford to fuel it up, except for those rare occasional when I can have a treat.

As Ted said.. The world is BROKEN, at least for the majority of hard working, responsible people.

Gerry

Just doing some rough conversion, using today's exchange rate -

£1.30/litre figures to $7.98/gallon.

£2.00/litre figures to $12.29/gallon.

Which is pretty amazing, when you consider Scotland is an oil-producing nation. Oil is pumped out of the North Sea, refined in Scotland and then, oh yeah, now I see where the problem lies. Gerry, you'll have to pardon my Scottish nationalism.

Refined petroleum products are pumped to that wee country to the south of Scotland, where prices are set at Whitehall and then the products are sold to Scotland. Isn't the Disunited Kingdom a wonderful thing? Fully 3/4 of the price being paid at the pump is tax, added by Westminster. Someone like Gerry sits up and takes notice, but the majority of the Scots and the English simply do not care what it is happening, so long as they have their lottery tickets, their Buckie and their fags.

[media]

Mike
Is that a USA Gallon. The UK gallon is larger (US 7/10 of UK). If it is then we will be around 15.00 per UK gallon which means an average fill up cost of $180.00. This one is making EVERYONE sit up, believe me. And yes the government takes not only gas tax but purchase tax on top of that at 20%. Not sure how we are going to be able to live anymore
G

Yes, I converted both litres to U.S. gallons and the G.B.P. to U.S. dollars.

It's rather strange that there is such a wide spread in petrol prices, between here and there. A buddy up in Perthshire recently purchased 1,000 litres (about 264 U.S. gallons) of heating oil and was howling about the price. It took me a bit to pin down what heating oil is selling for in this area, but he only paid about $40 / £25 more than he would have paid here. As of yesterday, his local garage was selling petrol at £1.35/litre, which figures to about $8.31/US gallon. Local prices are hovering around 3.50/gallon, which would be approximately 57p/litre. Quite a difference in prices, when it comes to petrol.

HERE is a link to what our local prices are like for 87 octane gasoline.

I have to chuckle when I hear people say we are involved in the middle East conflict because of oil. Back in 2007, a year when we imported about 5.12 billion barrels of oil, a h-u-g-e oil field was discovered in North Dakota, known as the Bakken Formation. This field was conservatively estimated at 200 billion barrels. Current reports now suggest there may be as much as 500 billion barrels of oil in this area. By comparison, the Prudhoe Bay filed in Alaska was originally estimated at 25 billion barrels, making it over twice the size of the Eastern Texas fields. The Bakken Formation could give us nearly double the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.

Yet we're selling Prudhoe Bay oil to China and financing palaces in the Middle East by purchasing their oil? Now, someone give me a logical reason for this to be happening. Think of what could happen if the U.S. suddenly flooded the oil market with Bakken Formation oil. We could see oil selling for less than $10 / £6.15 per barrel again. I just supplied the answer to my own question, didn't I? No way they are going to allow us to buy cheap petrol, when they can keep us tied over the oil barrel.

I was just having this conversation the other day with a buddie of mine. I wondered at the time why there was such a huge difference in prices between the US and the UK, not realising there was so much tax in the UK (and I thought ours were bad).
So Gerry, what do the powers that be tell you that tax money is supose to go to???

Cheers,
Russ

Russ
Thats a really good question. This may give you an idea. A Private in the army stores division has leaked an invoice for a light buld that the MOD is paying £22.00 for. He looked on ebay and found the same bulb for £0.89. Thats just one example of the disgusting waste all Governments seem to let go.
Total that up over all the things they purchase and you get an idea where the billions go.
Gerry

Gerry, I dread to see what Kate and Willie's wedding will end up costing you. I know George V tried to put a completely different spin on it, but since Willie is actually descended from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, shouldn't Germany be required to ante up for their fair share of the wedding expenses?

Like that would ever happen, aye?

The first thing is the trading fuel oil of anykind is obscene. Having someone in wall street raising the price because king fraud has a cold is BS. If they want to trade orange juice Great i can not buy orange juice but i cant stop buying gas. Look at it from this point of view. If the bread on the shelf at the grocery store starts out at 1.00 a loaf and the price goes up as the supply deminishes on the shelf then the last loaf is 3.50 sounds stupid doesnt it. REGULATION is the only way to stop this nonsence. But the media has everyone convinced that regulation is a liberal devils tool. Some things need to be regulated, To blanket deregulate is why the banks were in trouble and still doing the same thing today .Unions Bad free market place good what!!!! Who does lower wages benifit HUM let me see come on silly isnt it. Even the gas companys know their is a limit to what the average guy can pay. Hey That oil dont come out of the ground with a price stamped to it, Brokers price it for their investors , the higher the price the bigger the commision. Look what enron did to california with the phoney rolling blackout crises. Deregulation and BROKERS !!! If you hear it on the news enough it has to be true right??? Carefull listening to one source to much, everyone has an agenda. Be conservitive about some things and liberal about others. If you think Bush or Obama were and are making the rules i got news fer ya boys thats just a good ole diversion to keep us arguing between ourselves.Sorry if i stole your post JMHO

As the majority of the country knows, this country has lots of oil.

I'm convinced our president is the East Coast Marketing Manager for OPEC while the Sierra Club represents OPEC in the west.

Last night on the news and due to the 'unrest' in the Middle east the experts are predicating that gas prices will rise to £2-00 per litre. Its already at £1-30.
This means a UK gallon of regular is going to cost us £9.00
or in US, close to
$15.00 bucks a gallon (UK)

I wonder if the recent launch of a few electric cars by major makers has anything to do with this as well.

Looks like once the T is finished I may not be able to afford to fuel it up, except for those rare occasional when I can have a treat.

As Ted said.. The world is BROKEN, at least for the majority of hard working, responsible people.

Gerry

Gerry can you help me understand your currency?

I look at http://www.petrolprices.com/ and it says avr fuel cost is "125.9p"... is this 1.259 "pounds"? (GBP)? Which right now is $2.048USD

What do you call the little "p"? pence?

Its the same as yours really.

£ (pound) and p (pence). 100 pence in one pound. Just like the dollar. so £ 1.259 is really £1.26p Rounded up.
Gerry

Yes this high price of fuel is getting way out of hand, people do have to buy gas, just to stay alive, and the costs of all other needed items will also rise because it will cost soooo much more to deliver... baaaaaaad Government all around, they are not on our side!!! Sorry to say, but their actions speak louder than their words...
cripple.gif

Russ
Thats a really good question. This may give you an idea. A Private in the army stores division has leaked an invoice for a light buld that the MOD is paying £22.00 for. He looked on ebay and found the same bulb for £0.89. Thats just one example of the disgusting waste all Governments seem to let go.
Total that up over all the things they purchase and you get an idea where the billions go.
Gerry

Then you're saying that in the UK the gas taxes all just go into the general fund to be spent as the polititians like???
At least most of our gas taxes are earmarked to road improvements and other tangable projects related to auto use.

Russ

Then you're saying that in the UK the gas taxes all just go into the general fund to be spent as the polititians like???
At least most of our gas taxes are earmarked to road improvements and other tangable projects related to auto use.

Russ

Actually every snowmobile registered in Wisconsin they figure the average use is 75gallons the people that groom the trails get the state tax .
state gas taxes vary widely here is a list of them

My link

Russ

Thats one of our beefs. Only a small proportion of the road tax ( about $433.00 per year and the tax on insurance 4%) and the tax on fuel ever goes towards road improvement or even maintenance. We have so many pot holes its like the moon.
G

Its almost cheaper to wipe with our dollar rather than use toilet paper.

Gentlemen, there is another thought on America's oil supplies, (just like real estate, once its gone there is no mo), America uses other people's oil and conserves what is native, thus ensuring that we have a steady, abundent supply down the road. A little consumer pain now, a lot less later.

Here is a thought. In the future the United Arab Emerits sending troops to America to shore up a government that is is in revolution to ensure a constant supply of oil for their nation. Kinda like what we are doing now for the Middle east.

John

Before you read this; Remember back a several months ago when the, then, Governor of Alaska was called every name in the book by the White House Regime when she made the statement that the United States could be free of foreign oil in as few as 14 months……Guess she was not so far off point after all. The folks in the District of Corruption now say they expect we will be paying a MINUMUM of $4 a gallon for gas by the end of March, 2011.

Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information:

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil
does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota and extreme eastern Montana...check THIS out:

http://bakkenshale.net/bakkenshalemap..html
The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion
barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable...at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5..3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin, but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves...and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from 2006!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of
people dictate our lives and our economy...WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East - more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in
the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?

Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this: Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

--------

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back