Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A question about chrome work.

Dan Noecker

My main efforts these days is putting my front end together. Aside from the axle and leaf spring, I am making all my brackets and 4-bar links and doing my own welding. What kind of prep work must I do to all my metal pieces so when I take it to the plating shop it is ready to go? I am really trying to go the extra mile and do the best quality work I can. Any advise is appreciated.

Dan,
From my understanding the pieces need to be buffed and polished and scratch free. The plating process is very thin layers, first copper, to fill in very slight imperfections then chrome. Just as in body work and painting, if you don't put the effort in on the prep phase, the finish will not be what you wanted.

I worked in a chrome shop a long time ago. Polishing is a pain in butt! My advice would be da sand with 400 grit and let the shop do the rest. If you can,buff the metal before you weld it together especially where it will be hard to buff (like inside corners). Good luck.

Dan,
From my understanding the pieces need to be buffed and polished and scratch free. The plating process is very thin layers, first copper, to fill in very slight imperfections then chrome. Just as in body work and painting, if you don't put the effort in on the prep phase, the finish will not be what you wanted.

You forgot to mention the nickle plating step. That is what is meant by a triple plating process. In equating it to a paint job the copper plating is like primer, the nickle would be the paint and the chrome would be the clear to give the ultimate shine.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back