Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ackerman question

I may have to put mine out front because I am running a 32 grill shell unchopped and in order to set it right with the body I had to drop the rad a little below the frame and of course we all know how long the bottom of those grill shells are. Before I get asked I am using a spring over front end with no drop spindles or axle so no scrub issues just figuring out the steering and room .originally I wanted to use a cross steer set up but to use the 32 grill shell I had to scrub it and unfortunately the ford 302 is about 2" longer than a SB chevy. I like the 32 grill shell look thats why I went with that.

I am with Ron and Rick on this. I am a believer Ackerman only comes into play with going fast and turning right and left. If you can build Ackerman into it when you first build it then OK thats great. My tierod is in the front because of my 6" drop axle. And I have seen MANY other T's with no or bad Ackerman angles and they drive just fine cruising and making normal turns at slow speeds. I betcha 50% of the buckets out there have incorrect Ackerman. Sure, mine plows alittle in sand or gravel but it still turns. And I have no problems at all cruising city streets or the highways. Don't ever plan on taking mine to a gymkauna(sp?).

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back