Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Advertising

T-Test

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't know about the rest of you Bucketeers, but I don't like doing FREE advertising for anyone or any Company. Everybody has a thing about Harleys/Speedway/Summit or whatever you like, but to pay for something from them and they get all the benefits from you using/wearing it, just aint my cup of tea. I do very little, if any, for anyone or Companys. It is just my opinion that this is the way Companys grow at our expence and hard earned money, and the only rewards we get is the use of their products which may be good or bad.

I do wear my TBucketeers and NTBA T-shirts, because I joined this forum and payed for the shirts and also joined the NTBA as a member, which I do promote T-Buckets at all the cruise ins and Rod Runs I go to. This to me is a different type of advertising, as it promotes our sport/hobby and not some big company. Not meaning to put down any of the advertisers on here, by no means, for I feel they are the backbone of this sport/hobby, by providing all they do to get the cars built that we love so much.

This is also the reason I don't support professional sports. Why would I pay $150.00 to see a Celtics game, and make some player/ owner rich. I played sports because I loved them, not for the money. And I payed the price the rest of my life, with no help from anyone/union to make me better.

Just would like to know if I'm the only one that thinks this way? Or am I just eccentric in my old age?
T-Test

Bruce I agree with you................

Mike

Yep, all the free stickers go right in the trash and I never buy shirts that advertise the companies who sold them. They should give them away if they want the exposure.

I do have [free] hats from Summit, but grease just don't mix with the yellow.

When you buy something and they want there sticker on it ,tell them there is a monthly charge for advertising and it is very expenseive .

If I want to support someone, I might buy a shirt from them. (Homey don't wear no hats. ;)) If I'm not into supporting them, I'm definitely not into spending money to advertise for them. As for dealership stickers on a new car, I've always find asking what kind of discount they intend to give me for the advertising will result in them removing it for me.

I'm the same way with designer clothing. I had some Hilfiger jeans my ex had bought me as gifts, but to go out and buy that stuff out of my own pocket? No way, point me in the direction of the Wrangler jeans at a fraction of the price.

That's why I was astounded at the thread about the House of Kolor's software. House of Kolor wants me to buy their paint, but they want to sell me a sales aid, to help me pick out the colors? I wouldn't pay 2¢ for that software, much less $50.

I agree completely, I will not attend a pro sports event or advertise for a big company by wearing their cap. I am very glad to know others feel the same way

I don't wear caps, messes me hair up! I do however wear t-shirts with logos on them. I have found quite often if you are making a couple hundred dollar purchase, they will throw in a shirt. Their advertising also works for me. It has broke the ice with some people and I end up with shop work. So I guess it's a win / win thing for me.

Ron

I DO NOT advertize for any company ESPECIALLY dealerships where I buy my cars and I do not have any emblems on the cars that I buy even though I have worked for GM for thirty years and buy only GM I shave all the emblems as soon as I get it home.

Jim

I do pay go to some sporting events. I have been to the Gator Nationals the last two years running and have sat in the DSR tent for free food and a close up view of the drivers and their hot rods. I get the tickets at cost for these events and don't feel bad for taking advantage of the reduced prices or for eating in the sponsor tent on someone else's dime. I get them through the Freightliner dealership that my wife works for. As some of you may know from reading some of my other posts, DSR isn't to high on my likes list because some of the people that has come and gone in his organization. When I go to these events, I grab all the free stickers I can and find them a home on my tool box. I can also tell you all that it would be a cold day in hell before I spent $25-$40 for a hat. If I were silly enough to drop that kind of cash in the Nitro Mall on one of those hats, I would be one of the last people that you would ever see standing in line asking my favorite driver to scribble something that looks like it might be their name on it. If you've never been to the drags, the best view is the one seen from your tv set. If you've only seen the drags on tv, you're missing the smells, sites, and real concept of the speed and noise.
It's funny that several of you mentioned the car dealer stickers. I just bought a new vehicle and that to was one of my requests. One other time I asked a dealer to leave that off the car and they proceeded to tell me that that sticker was part of company policy. My reply was I'll find a different dealer with a policy that reflected what this customer would like on the back of their new car. Needless to say we seen eye to eye.

I was the prep guy at ol' Stillwater motors, our local Chebby dealer. When I saw a cool Chevelle or ChevyII come threw the logo went on the trunk inner skin.

Ron

One memory from my childhood is being down south and seeing trucks with dealer names engraved on the rear bumpers. I don't think that practice ever caught on.

Well I will have to disagree with some of you. Because I have Several Harley, JEEP, Summit Racing, and a couple of others, but I do thank there is a time and a place for them. Like when I’m out with friends riding my bike I will wear one of my Harley shirts, or if I’m out playing in my JEEP, I will wear a 4X4 shirt or something that fits the occasion. I thank it helps break the ice and meet new people. And one day I will buy a Tbucketeers or NTBA.

BUT I paid GOOD money for all of my TOYs and I’m not going to be ashamed if it, by taking the emblems off or by not wearing one of there shirts!!! IMO

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one out there.WHEW!! Don't get me wrong, I have done these things but not in the last 25/30 years. What got me on the subject is the Advertised prices of admission to some car shows out in Cali. I had seen somewhere and I thought it would be nuts to pay to that kind of money to show my car and not get anything but trinkets in return. I park outside the show area as close to the gates as possible, and tell the ticket guys to look after my Hotrod. They get a kick out of that. LOL Run To The Sun is a big show in Myrtle Beach S.C. that I go to and it is fun and free if you don't enter. The last 2 years the winners just had to show up to win! Iwas disappointed when I found out how things really worked. 2 years ago a guy had a Camaro fixed up by a famous shop in Alabama, sunk $150,000.00 in it. Money he had inherited and had his dream car built. Won best of show. I got there on Friday morning and checked in. He got there Saturday at 1100 am, and 200pm he had a check for $10,000.00. The next month he was at another show I was attending, same thing, but the purse was a lot less, something like $600.00 This past year a well known Hotrodder finished his ride after about 15 years and wham, he won best of show. Sure he runs a big business, but nothing to extravagant on his Rod.

And don't think that I'm jealous or anything, for I know what I have and can truthfully say mine is safe and sound and dependable. Not afraid to go anywhere with it or pull my bike or other trailer with it. I also know that I am a ROUGH carpenter and not a FINISH/TRIM carpenter. I like driving mine and setting in the garage just don't get it for me.

I know a few others who feel the same as I do about their Buckets.

I pay for the ones I like because they are cool. Even more so if I use thier product. Just my way of spreading the word about a good company or product. Lifes too short to sweat the small sh*t.

I pay for the ones I like because they are cool. Even more so if I use thier product. Just my way of spreading the word about a good company or product. Lifes too short to sweat the small sh*t.
I agree. I've got a bunch of SoCal, Speedway, and other hot rod T-shirts. I'll take a free shirt and if its cool I'll wear it out. If its not, I'll wear in in the shop. I don't get wrapped up in it. I don't like car dealer names on my car, but that's a bit different than a t-shirt. You'd be surprised at the number of guys who request decals/sticker from our coating shop to put on their drag bikes, tuner cars, etc. Heck, we have a 30" long one on Cruz Pedregon's Funny Car. It works, and we get a bit of business from it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back