Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Advertising

The one that boggles the mind is the huge dealership decal in the back window of pickup trucks. The dealer most probably took you to the cleaners on the price of the truck, and you're going to advertise for them for free? If the dealer wants to advertise on my vehicle, they'd better ask what my advertising rates are first.

And one day I will buy a Tbucketeers...
Ohhhhhhhh, no you won't. :D That's a mistake I'll not make again. I learned my lesson and have no desire to make that mistake, ever again. If you have a T-Bucketeers t-shirt, take vary good care of it, because it is an endangered species. And that's a fact.

What people don't realize is how cheap t-shirts can get, when you buy them in large enough quantity. I can't remember what the exact count was, but when I bought that batch of shirts, I bought something like 14 dozen. Had I ordered just two gross, the price would have dropped by almost 50%. Whiz-Bang Parts can buy t-shirts a thousand at a time and get them priced in the $5 range. (And that's for a 100% cotton shirt, not some polyester blend that shrinks to X-Small the first time you wash it.) Since their logo appears on the shirts, the expense gets written off as advertising. They might end up giving half of them away, but they sell the rest of them for $20 - $25 a pop. So they write off the cost, they make a some of their customers really happy with the freebies, and they still end up making money because of the shirts they sell.

My former employer would buy t-shirts, 5, 6 and 7 gross at a time and the prices were ridiculously low. They were Hanes Beefy-Ts and we were buying them, silk-screened, cheaper than you could buy a white Beefy-T at the discount stores. We sold shirts at $12 and we could sell one, give one away and still make money. We were NHRA associate sponsors for 20+ years and when we would attend/work the races, we would take two cartons of shirts for every carton of springs. Brian always made up shirts with the race car on the front and our sponsors' logos on the back. Because of his heritage, the shirts would always have a U.S. flag and a Canadian flag on them. We would always load up on shirts when we raced in Canada, because they would sell like candy. We could almost always cover all the expenses for a Canadian race with the shirt sales. It would absolutely stagger you to know what some of the big race teams make in memorabilia sales at a big race race like Indy.

I remember walking into a Wal-Mart and seeing American Chopper t-shirts being displayed. Those eejits were doubtless making a pretty penny on their TV contracts, but selling their apparel at retail stores, from coast to coast?? :eek: They were making money like you cannot even imagine.

I also have a few shirts left, thanks to Mike. Don't work in the garage with them, and they don't have pockets, for I am a sinner of tobacco[sp].

Yes, and I thank you. You are almost as old as I am in years, BUT not in hard ass miles. I chose the logging path and you chose the interstate. LOL

Ohhhhhhhh, no you won't. :D That's a mistake I'll not make again. I learned my lesson and have no desire to make that mistake, ever again. If you have a T-Bucketeers t-shirt, take vary good care of it, because it is an endangered species. And that's a fact.

What people don't realize is how cheap t-shirts can get, when you buy them in large enough quantity. I can't remember what the exact count was, but when I bought that batch of shirts, I bought something like 14 dozen. Had I ordered just two gross, the price would have dropped by almost 50%. Whiz-Bang Parts can buy t-shirts a thousand at a time and get them priced in the $5 range. (And that's for a 100% cotton shirt, not some polyester blend that shrinks to X-Small the first time you wash it.) Since their logo appears on the shirts, the expense gets written off as advertising. They might end up giving half of them away, but they sell the rest of them for $20 - $25 a pop. So they write off the cost, they make a some of their customers really happy with the freebies, and they still end up making money because of the shirts they sell.

My former employer would buy t-shirts, 5, 6 and 7 gross at a time and the prices were ridiculously low. They were Hanes Beefy-Ts and we were buying them, silk-screened, cheaper than you could buy a white Beefy-T at the discount stores. We sold shirts at $12 and we could sell one, give one away and still make money. We were NHRA associate sponsors for 20+ years and when we would attend/work the races, we would take two cartons of shirts for every carton of springs. Brian always made up shirts with the race car on the front and our sponsors' logos on the back. Because of his heritage, the shirts would always have a U.S. flag and a Canadian flag on them. We would always load up on shirts when we raced in Canada, because they would sell like candy. We could almost always cover all the expenses for a Canadian race with the shirt sales. It would absolutely stagger you to know what some of the big race teams make in memorabilia sales at a big race race like Indy.

I remember walking into a Wal-Mart and seeing American Chopper t-shirts being displayed. Those eejits were doubtless making a pretty penny on their TV contracts, but selling their apparel at retail stores, from coast to coast?? :eek: They were making money like you cannot even imagine.
I don't find it that hard to believe. Trinket sales kept the Harvey Donaldson company from going broke once.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back