Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Aftermarket 42-48 Ford square spindles?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I have original Ford 42-48 spindles with the square mount and integral arm, and want to replace them with new units. But all I can find are the 37-41 round mounts. Any ideas?
id-spindle.jpg

I've been looking around and maybe the round mount spindles will work. Here's what I have:
square%2520spindle.JPG

Those are Magnum backing plates. I'm thinking if the bolt patterns are the same for the round and square mounts, then I should be able to replace the existing squares with new rounds. I'll need new kingpins since the round mount spindles use a 5.5" pin and the squares use a 6" pin. Your thoughts?

Well, I talked with Speedway and Magnum and found the round mount spindles are interchangeable with the square mount ones. Same bolt pattern. But the kingpins are different length. So I ordered new round mounts and kingpins from Speedway. And then I'll get some steering arms fabbed, and, after 20 years, I will finally have correct Ackermann!

Lol, looks like we weren't of much help on this. But, we all should have learned something. Let us know if you can tell a difference in handling.
Lee

Wow, I ordered these Tues, they shipped 47 minutes after the order, and arrived today, Wed! Way to go, Speedway!

Won't get them in action for 3 or 4 months until the weather here in MN allows. Gives me time to design the steering arms and get them made, and check the 20-year-old brake pads and other front end bits and pieces. I'll post my progress on my eternal project log: https://tbucketeers.com/threads/big-redo-of-the-old-bucket.13677/

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back