Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air Pressure in Tires

PzT

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi I have a question about air pressure in the front tires of my T.
I'm running Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires. What would you guys recommend the pressure be?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Gary

Try about 25 first every bucket is a little different but that seems like the average.

I have the same tires (rears are 33x22x15). Went by the max pressure on the sidewall (34 front, 25 rear) at first and found that too much. Dropped front to 25 and rear to 20 - better. Don't want to go too low and have it get loose in the turns. Maybe try 15 rear next.

I thought I would try 20 PSI. It seemed to run & drive a lot smoother.
What Do you guys think about 20 PSI? It so light in the front That it bounces using 25 to 30 PSI
Gary

Run a lot of tires on both race cars and hot rods over the years and one thing remains same with all of them,starting from about 5lbs add PSI tell the side wall down near the road just starts to look like the rest of the tire and your very close to good for your car. I my T- bucket it was 22 front and 10 rear works fine,rears are super wide though.
For racing I'd use a tire temp and adjust more with that info after gitting there as above..

I have said this before I believe in another post... I like to test the rubber on the road for a even pattern, darker on the edges, means a bit more air is needed, darker in the center, less air is needed... I Test the fronts at a skid stop and the rears from a dead stop hard launch, try to spin the tires a bit... and read the rubber on the road, you want it even all the way across the full tread... Each car will be different in the end...

I don't have the balls to run less than 20psi on the street, the track a different story.

Just put a pair of M/T Sporsman Pro's on, running about 15lbs in the rears does that seem right or to much? Don't want to get uneven ware. The footprint on dusty garage floor looked all the way across the tire.

I run 20psi in front 165 r 15, 24psi in the rear. But my rears aren't "steam rollers".

I started low and gradually worked up to regular-car pressure. 12 psi rear, 18 front had slight wallowy feel without any improvement in ride comfort. Hard on tires too. I now run 28r, 30f. Wheelspin is easy to control and 2nd- gear chirp is fun.

hmmm maybe thats why my ride is so rough! I think I am running 30 front and rear. Guess I need to start lowering things down a touch.

Sounds like you did what I did originally. I forgot these are so light weight. Always wondered why it felt like a rock up front. Then I had a vision and dropped the pressure.

Hi I have a question about air pressure in the front tires of my T.
I'm running Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R tires. What would you guys recommend the pressure be?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Gary
I have Rally GT 50 and this morn reduced tire pressure to 20 this morn after reading these posts....havent driven yet so say a prayer

I agree with Ted and The Fonz. I am more comfortable with a good tire shape and road contact. Not that 20 psi would not be right or wrong, but I like to see flat to a slight crown in the top of the tire tread. I guess a light brush of white paint or shoe polish and a trip down a level road would show what you have on the road.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back